This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bob,
    It took me a long time to figure that out. I usually read from the "new posts" page and so can't see how to post. At the top, click "forum", then select the forum you want to post in, then towards the top of the page in the forum you want to post in is a blue button with a plus sign in it and the words add a new post.
    h

Comment

@John Bedini

When making the alum cells, with the semi-conductive copper, is it important to use oxygen free copper? I think you buy the little copper bowls from new england copperworks. Their website says that they use 110 grade copper, which isn't oxygen free 101 grade. Is this grade okay? Thanks!

Comment

Llead --Alum Homemade Rechargeable Battery

@John & All
        Here is the video of the test cells that I made. It is very easy to make one of these to prove that this Lead - Alum rechargeable cell does work.

Lead--Alum Homemade Rechargeable Battery - YouTube

Lidmotor

Comment

Lidmotor,
          That is the right color and you formed that with Alum. so you have a new crystal. you could wind another solder coil and have three plates and get twice the current did you try mixing the Alum a little thicker? Chuck and I have noticed that also, easy to make and no acid. if you just build a cell and keep the current on it you can get the oxides and paste the material into little holes in the lead making a much stronger cell. How to make that battery is in the Boy Electrician 1955 book, but they did not use Alum.
          John
          Last edited by John_Bedini; 09-04-2012, 01:17 PM. Reason: taking info away
          John Bedini
          My homepage: http://johnbedini.net

Comment

Lidmotor,
            Ok, one way to do this is to build what I call a generator cell to make the material you need. How this is done is to make a thick solution of alum between lead plates the material will change color and the plates will too. You can find sheet lead at roofing outlets or you will just melt lead and cast plates. You can get plaster to do this your surface area is important. The easy way to find lead oxide is by taking an old storage battery apart and then taking the oxide from the plate grids. You must grind this up or you can not paste it into the lead plates. But that is for making a normal lead acid battery. What I'm doing is growing a Alum lead crystal by the process above. Your cell does prove the point that it can be done. However you need material to paste into a drilled lead plates. When I could not get lead I took 5 pound fishing weights and melted them down. The easy cell to make is 3 plates Negative plate, Positive plate, and one more Negative plate. The best separators are the wood from a cigar box and you grove them to let the solution flow around them. I know you can do this and make a very powerful Crystal Alum cell. I will try to do a video as this will really help the understanding of how to. No sulphuric acid is used, do not use tap water it contains things you do not want in the battery.
            John Bedini

Comment

Fast moving project

@John
              More people are getting into this and the idea seems to be really taking off. There some distinct advantages with this cell-----the main one being that almost anyone can build one and it works.

Lidmotor

Comment

No I'm not saying that. You need to recharge the Lead Battery, that is what were saying.
                Originally posted by Alex View Post
                Hi John B,

Just want to make sure I understand. Are you saying that the lead acid battery puts out power but was never charged? And are you saying that you expect it to keep putting out power without needing to be recharged just like your other crystal batteries?

Thanks, Alex.
                Last edited by John_Bedini; 09-04-2012, 01:25 PM. Reason: adding info
                John Bedini

Comment

How to make a lead alum crystal battery

In this video I'm showing how to make the casted plates for the Lead Alum Crystal battery. I have skipped a part somehow where I'm showing the plates after current had been passing through them to form a coating before I pasted them with Red Lead and Alum. If your going to speed up the process it is advisable to form in sulphuric acid and then wash the plates in distilled water afterwards. You need to form the two different oxides for this to work correct. I did this fast to show how so I made some mistakes, like loosing a part of the video. I think you get the point here of what can be done. Red Lead you will need to get it from an old storage battery since you just cant run to the hardware store and buy it anymore. The whole discussion is posted on the Energy Science Forum at:http://www.energyscienceforum.com/
                  John Bedini

Some how I lost the plate forming process but I think you get it. You can do this anyway you want. First let me warn you that you need to wash your hands after handling lead. Even if I experimented with my whole life and Chucks Dad worked for the Lead mines up in Coeur D' Alene does not mean that we will escape anything. It's best to just make it a practice of washing your hands after handling any metal. Some of the newer batteries are even more toxic so be careful. Anyway, others are using old plates from gel cells which is ok to do it all works the same. It is much easier to just buy a motorcycle battery that comes dry and then you know that the plates have been formed correctly.These batteries are usually dry-charge batteries and you just discard the acid as you do not use it. I will do another video tomorrow on using a motorcycle battery and converting it to crystal Alum cell.

So let me add one more thing about Lead Acid Batteries, if you are going to use a rejuvenator process then you need Sodium sulfate. During the manufacturing process
                  that chemical is added to the battery it is a secrete in the industry that is used to give life to the battery, it can also work with this cell. I have heard that you can make it by mixing Calcium carbonate and baking soda together. I have not tried this so I don't know if it works, but I do know that Sodium sulfate works on most batteries.
                  Last edited by John_Bedini; 09-04-2012, 10:36 PM. Reason: adding info
                  John Bedini

Comment

Originally posted by John_Bedini View Post
                    Bedini Earthlight The Easy way[ATTACH=CONFIG]18[/ATTACH]
                    John,

Is this the circuit potted inside the light I bought at the conference or is that something different? I did successfully build the circuit you show here to run off my Cu-Alum cells.

Thanks,
                    Cam

Comment

Originally posted by John_Bedini View Post
                      No I'm not saying that. You need to recharge the Lead Battery, that is what were saying.
                      Hello John
                      Have you made any tests on the self discharge rate of the batteries yet? It would really be nice if there wasn't any. Seeing your video brought back some childhood memories of battery science fair projects. Why do I think I used lead and zinc instead of all lead? Is that possible or is my memory of 55 years ago a little foggy?
                      Thanks
                      John Hav.

Comment

Ongoing work

@ John B.
                        Thanks for that great video on how to make the plates. A number of people have commented about the dangers of using lead but I think that if we just use common sense and great care we should be OK. The sodium silicate situation was the same thing.

My dad gave me an old motorcycle battery yesterday and if I can't bring it back to life with the Alum treatment then I will tear ity apart for the plate material.

Lidmotor

Comment

Dad Hav Lidmotor,

I will be posting a new video on how I did the conversion to a motorcycle dry-charge battery. In the video I'm using the solar tracker charger and will be using a load box to graph the battery.
                          I do not want any mistakes about what I did.
                          John Bedini

Comment

How to make a Lead Alun Crystal Battery

In this video I'm showing a Dry Charge Lead Acid Battery which I have taken and converted to an Alum Crystal Battery. I have added no acid at all to do any forming of the plates and I'm using the Solar Tracker to charge it. This is the way I do it you may have other ideas, this discussion is taking place at The Energy Science Forum at: http://www.energyscienceforum.com/forum.php
                            Thank You John Bedini

John Bedini

Comment

Thanks John,
                              I finally see where my mistake has been. I did not let them dry out. It's those little things that get us.....

Les

Comment

LesK,
                                The most important thing is the forming of the plates otherwise it will take a very long time. If you are going to use a car battery which I suggest then it's important to know the condition of the battery because old storage batteries do the same thing as Ni-Cads when the cells short. I did not go into this in the video because of the danger. But it has been done where people have dried the battery out that had a bad cell that was shorted and applied extreme voltage to that one cell snapping the bridging short across the insulators, right the lead acid battery grows lead dendrites and it is possible to fix the shorted cells. If your going to do the Alum conversion then it best to get a new battery and then dump the acid out, but again charge it first so you know that the forming is good. Anyway hope this has helped those that did not understand how this is done.
                                Last edited by John_Bedini; 09-05-2012, 10:16 PM. Reason: edit
                                John Bedini

Comment

Working...
                                X