X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi All,

Hi All,

Well my ALUM showed up from Nuts.com today so that got me in gear. I went out and bought a Auto Craft, Power Sport Battery Model 4L-BS 4Ah dry charged. I left the acid at the store. Filled it with a very strong mixture of ALUM/Distilled water 1.5 Cup distilled water and 1/3 cup Alum, dissolved Around 150 degrees in the water. Battery measured 8.28 VDC with no charging done to it right out of the gate. Started with a 2A charge but had to lower it to 0.5 A after 15 min as battery was boiling. We will see what we got this evening. Big battery still on discharge so have to wait till it gets off dis-charger but might use the power supply as a 0.5 amp reverse constant current load and measure its capacity in my watt meter. This will be a much more manageable battery!! I'll know what I have later today. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0052.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	44785

Ben K4ZEP

Comment

• Gelled electrolyte

'Gelled batteries, or "Gel Cells" contain acid that has been "gelled" by the addition of Silica Gel, turning the acid into a solid mass that looks like gooey Jell-O.'

Deep Cycle Battery FAQ

Mike Klimesh

Comment

• Pure Food Grade Alum Powder

My 50lbs of ' Pure Food Grade Alum Powder' arrived from myspicesage.com but it seems to be
        Aluminum sulfate not Ammonium Aluminum Sulfate.
        One step forward two steps back (+_+)

Mike Klimesh

Comment

• sheez , NAPA PSB 24HLBS $170 dry charged

I can get solar panels cheaper per watt then that ($1.69) solar = $0.58

http://www.sunelec.com/
          Last edited by ibedonc; 09-19-2012, 02:43 PM.

Comment

• @Mike Klimesh- In post #122 John said the following, "If you can not get Ammonium Aluminum Sulfate, then use the standard Alum since they just changed the label to get past the safety requirements." I am assuming that it should work fine.

Harlan

Comment

• Originally posted by BrentA929 View Post
              I want to take a stab at the compound used to make the paste...

Is it Epsom Salt (MgSO4ยท7H2O)?

Thanks, Brent
              No

Chuck Hupp

Comment

• Originally posted by IndianaBoys View Post
                Is the compound used to make the paste Sodium Polyacrylate?

Thanks,

IndianaBoys
                No

Chuck Hupp

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Hupp View Post
                  No

Chuck Hupp
                  Chuck,

Thanks for the reply.

As a side note I saw this and thought it may be of interest to add to the cell as a visual indicator:

When a visible indication of the moisture content is required, ammonium tetrachlorocobaltate(II) (NH4)2CoCl4 or cobalt chloride CoCl2 is added. This will cause the gel to be blue when dry and pink when hydrated. An alternative indicator is methyl violet which is orange when dry and green when hydrated.

IndianaBoys

Comment

• In This Video I take you through Building the Lead Crystal Alum Hydrate Battery. I show three of the cells
                    That we built here at Energenx.

John Bedini
                    My homepage: http://johnbedini.net

Comment

• Originally posted by BrentA929 View Post
                      I want to take a stab at the compound used to make the paste...

Is it Epsom Salt (MgSO4ยท7H2O)?

Thanks, Brent
                      S04 is part of the equation already (Mg is not)

Comment

• Not Boring John !!!

so what I am seeing is that you can pour your own plates pure lead and not need red lead ? or does it have to be the plates from batteries

Comment

• Ibedonc,
                          You take the plates from a spent gel cell battery and clean them, using the sponge lead plates only.
                          Last edited by John_Bedini; 09-21-2012, 07:46 PM. Reason: edit
                          John Bedini
                          My homepage: http://johnbedini.net

Comment

• Hello,

I am not strong in chemistry, but may be the info here can be usable to define the hydrate gel mixture.

Cloudy Globs: Can You Make a White Gel From Two Clear Liquids? | SMILE

Best regards.

Comment

• Originally posted by Retep View Post
                              For Europeans: E523 (E number) points to the same page.

Comment

• Ok maybe someone had already suggested it but I believe that the missing ingredient is simply silica gel to soak up the water

Comment

Working...
                                X