Question for Energex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Energex

The chargers use AC wall power, yet, presumably, convert that to DC before use. Is there a way to have direct DC input into your chargers? I for one would very much like the option.

Hi Howard,

You can put a battery or batteries through an inverter and then run the chargers.

You can see all the different chargers at Tesla Chargers | World's Most Efficient, Effective & Advanced Battery Chargers
    Admin
    Energy Science Forum

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT USING THIS FORUM, PLEASE READ THIS F.A.Q. FIRST. http://www.energyscienceforum.com/fa...=vb3_board_faq

Comment

According to Gary, the PWR supply is the current limiter. I as well explored using a solar panel. You must build a current limiter of the proper voltage and current.It does work.but by the time you do it all, you could have purchased the solar tracker. They work very good. Worth every dollar.

Comment

Where is the manual for the Golf Cart Charger?

Comment

I am designing a solution for rural electrification purposes. How many solar panels can I use the tesla solar tracker III with? can i parallel the charging or do i need one charge controller for every solar panel? I am planning to at least power home lighting via this method(solar panel(s) -->tesla solar tracker -->Lead Alum batteries -->load. Next up would be space cooling (i.e AC)

any inputs are welcome.

sincerely,

//teej_seeker

Comment

Unlike standard MPPT controllers on the market today, the TST3 is wired with all panels in parallel, unless you use 12 volt panels with a 24 volt model TST3. Then you could wire two in series.

For example the 24 volt 80amp model can take up to 10 Canadian Solar 220watt panels. Since these are 24 volt (nominal) panels and the max amperage is 7.52 amps in full sun, that will give you a max of 10 * 7.52 = 75.2 amps. Any more than 10 panels would be over the rated capacity. You can't squeeze much more than 2.2kw out of the highest capacity TST3 (currently). Now, if you are going to wire each panel to a combiner box, you will need one that is rated at above 80 amps and if you are going to run the DC copper cable from that combiner some distance, you will need some extremely thick (and expensive) cables, because of the "low voltage and high amperage" issue. This is one caveat of the TST3. If possible, it is best place the batteries, inverter and TST3 not too far from each other and run the AC cable from the inverter to where it needs to go. This will save you some money on cabling.

If you need a solar system that is bigger than 2.2kw, as long as your battery bank is large enough, you could connect two TST3's in parallel to the same bank. While the cost of the two charge controllers will be about twice the cost of a standard MPPT charger, it is money well spent. You will save much more money, over time, on batteries.

Being a solar installer, I am hoping that at some point EnergenX will create a model for 48 volt battery banks that can handle higher input voltages, so we can end up being able to wire a few panels in series and use a lot less copper and be able to handle 4.4 KW or more of panels. I would also like the design changed so that it can be mounted vertically, like every other charge controller on the market.

Don't get me wrong, I love the TST3's, but with their current design, they work well for smaller systems only. For larger systems, I would have to buy 3 or 4 TST3's and spend an extra $2,000 on high gauge copper cables. I have only been able to use the TST3's on two jobs, because of the "High amperage, low voltage" issue. At some point, I will do a complete review of the 2.2kw installation I did at my brother's paintball field, using the 24 volt, 80 amp model TST3.

Originally posted by teej_seeker View Post
            I am designing a solution for rural electrification purposes. How many solar panels can I use the tesla solar tracker III with? can i parallel the charging or do i need one charge controller for every solar panel? I am planning to at least power home lighting via this method(solar panel(s) -->tesla solar tracker -->Lead Alum batteries -->load. Next up would be space cooling (i.e AC)

any inputs are welcome.

sincerely,

//teej_seeker

Comment

Hi Daryl,

Thanks for the post. Do you have a system block diagram that aptly describes what you have written above?

sincerely,

//teej_seeker

Comment

Sorry, I don't.

Daryl

Hi Daryl,

Thanks for the post. Do you have a system block diagram that aptly describes what you have written above?

sincerely,

//teej_seeker

Comment

Originally posted by Daryl Hansen View Post
                  Sorry, I don't.

Daryl
                  Hi Daryl,

can the TST3 be used in combination with the SG Oscillator and can I switch between the primary bank and the charging banks via a switch?

sincerely,

teej_seeker

Comment

Hi Daryl,

can the TST3 be used in combination with the SG Oscillator and can I switch between the primary bank and the charging banks via a switch?

sincerely,

teej_seeker
                    teej, I would not do that as there is a chance that the high voltage spikes may damage the internal components and that would not be covered under the warranty.

If it was me I would build my own cap pulser circuit to do what you want to do because if you blow something you don't have to replace the whole unit. Plus it's fun to learn how they work.

John K.

Comment

Originally posted by John_Koorn View Post
                      teej, I would not do that as there is a chance that the high voltage spikes may damage the internal components and that would not be covered under the warranty.

If it was me I would build my own cap pulser circuit to do what you want to do because if you blow something you don't have to replace the whole unit. Plus it's fun to learn how they work.

John K.

Hi John,

Thanks for the advice. Where would the cap pulser be placed in the system? in between the sg oscillator and the TST3?

still learning,

teej_seeker

Comment

Hi Teej_seeker,

First of all, aquire an understanding of what each of these is doing to the Battries being Charged.
                        do'nt you feel they all are one and the same at a first glance..?
                        they still do differ slightly but not completely.. i guess you are learning it well.
                        Best Regards,
                        Faraday88.
                        'Wisdom comes from living out of the knowledge.'

Comment

Hi John,

Thanks for the advice. Where would the cap pulser be placed in the system? in between the sg oscillator and the TST3?

still learning,

teej_seeker
                          teej,

No, the TST3 is designed for constant DC source like a solar panel or wind generator. Connecting it to anything else is at your own risk and would void the warranty.

If you are interested in the capacitor pulser circuit I would encourage you to study John Bedini's patents or buy the Free Energy Generation book by John Bedini. You can order it from Energy from the Vacuum Science Series

John K.

Comment

Originally posted by Faraday88 View Post
                            Hi Teej_seeker,

First of all, aquire an understanding of what each of these is doing to the Battries being Charged.
                            do'nt you feel they all are one and the same at a first glance..?
                            they still do differ slightly but not completely.. i guess you are learning it well.
                            Best Regards,
                            Faraday88.
                            Faraday,

did we meet at the last conference?

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

Originally posted by John_Koorn View Post
                              teej,

No, the TST3 is designed for constant DC source like a solar panel or wind generator. Connecting it to anything else is at your own risk and would void the warranty.

If you are interested in the capacitor pulser circuit I would encourage you to study John Bedini's patents or buy the Free Energy Generation book by John Bedini. You can order it from Energy from the Vacuum Science Series

John K.
                              Hi John,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I will begin building the sg oscillator this weekend and will take it from there onwards. getting the coils wound has been a challenge here where I live. I managed to source a supplier.
                              Are there specific parameters that i should look out for while testing the sg oscillator

some data points i can think of include: standing voltage, discharged voltage, current draw, time take to discharge. What else?

still learning,

teej_seeker

Comment

Working...
                              X