Battery sizes & Banks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery sizes & Banks

Just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction.

I see the basic Bedini SSG experiments are with relatively small capacity batteries, with a 20Ah battery being used most often.

What kind of modifications would be required to charge a 225Ah 6V golf cart battery (Thinking Trogan T105)

Then as the Tesla Powerwall has just been released, which is very exciting! that is a 7Kw bank, what would we need to modify in order to charge that, or are we now talking multi-coil, or even static Bedini Generators for that

William

I see nobody wants to jump in here!

Let me elaborate...

Assuming

1) I have 2 new 6V 225Ah (C20) batteries in series for 12V - that I will use as my Primary
    2) I have a standard SSG beginners Kit
    3) My Charge Battery Bank is 4 x 6V 225Ah (C20) in series for 24V
    4) I want to attach my charged batteries to a suitably sized inverter, for AC power.
    5) I will never let any of my batteries discharge more than 40% (preferred 25%)

So my goal is to keep recharging the battery bank to maximum, whenever it becomes depleted to the 60% level, this is the same goal with the Charging batteries.

Questions
    1) do I need to modify the Beginners SSG Kit, by adding more coils, or will it do the job?
    2) what is the estimated charge time for the battery bank?
    3) From John Bedini's comments, the Charges batteries cannot be used as primary's, but can the Charged Bank be used immediately to power the inverter?

William

Comment

you cannot get 12 to charge 24 easily, its about the potential. you are already at a disadvantage trying to do 24 volts with 12. you need 24 on the primary minimum.or run 12 and 12. also you will not get 2 6 volt batteries in series for 225 ah to charge 4 6 volt batteries in series, its still 550 ah more than double your primary. not gonna happen. the estimate depends upon your machine and how it is tuned, there is no standard. yes you can use the charged batteries immediately for a load.

deep cycle batteries need a lot of oomph to pulse charge them, a big pulse. a single coil will take a long time, a minimum of 4 coils would be needed. running at 24 will also make them charge faster... 24-24 primary and charge.

how are you planning on charging your primary?

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

Thanks Tom,

That makes a lot of sense! and really the answer I was looking for.

So I would then either do 24V to 24V (or 12V to 12V), but for efficiencies 24V is better for the inverter.

Charging the Primary through Solar, I am trying to limit the number of Solar panels, we get a lot of sunlight here!

I will build my 1st Bedini SG as standard, but wanted to make sure I design it so that I can add more coils, etc. without having to build and entirely new "machine".

All things Considered.... It looks like I will eventually have to build a static Bedini, because I am going to need a lot more power.

But starting with the basic Bedini SG, is a good place to start experimenting/learning. I guess 20Ah batteries for the basic build is about max for a single coil....

William

Comment

a single coil SG will charge larger batteries it just takes more time.... if you are going to run off solar, then get as many panels as you can and as much battery as you can. if you use a solar tracker, you can charge batteries, run your DC loads like the SG and your dc appliances on your house during the daytime, and then run off your batteries at night. get your loads calculated and go from there.

Tom C
          Last edited by Tom C; 05-06-2015, 11:17 AM.

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

Ok thanks,

Actually I was looking to reduce the number of Solar panels needed, by charging Primaries only with Solar.

Then using the charged Primaries which in turn can run a Bedini system to charge other batteries in my Battery Bank, even in stages. At the moment Batteries are for back-up emergency power for use during numerous power outrages we have to endure here.

I think I saw John K's system where he was doing this on a smaller scale.

Comment

Hi Rhino, I've experimented with many different systems but the best way from my experience is to use a Tesla Solar Tracker V to charge your primary battery and then run your Bedini SG to charge your back-up emergency batteries.

You will have to size your solar panels, Tesla Solar Tracker V and primary battery to the needs of the Bedini SG so if you needed to you could run it 24/7. That means having enough panels to run the Bedini SG AND fully charge your primary during the day so you can run the Bedini SG at night.

Next thing is to size your charge batteries so the Bedini SG can fully charge them. And I mean up to around 15.8v (for a 12v lead-acid battery) because that's where the majority of the desulfation takes place.

John K.

Comment

Awesome thank John K.

So I guess if you are looking at COP=<1, then you would start in reverse..

The size of the Charge Battery Bank, will determine the size of the Primary, which determines the size of the Tesla Solar Tracker V, which determines the size of the Solar Panels!

I recall seeing a video, where you were charging batteries from a small solar panel, then using those through a Solid State (Static) SG to charge 4 batteries, which powered your shed through an inverter.. Cannot remember where I saw this through...

William

Comment

Working...
                X