Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opto triggering of ssg multicoil

Hi All,
    I want to switch a multicoil SSG with opto switching and havn't tried it yet.

Can someone of us provide a link or circuit?

Thanks,

bro d

Hey bro d, why do you want to do that?

John K.

Comment

Hi John,

I have a motor that runs with mosfets at 3-400v and I'm using IR diodes to sw the mosfets.

It works very well. No blown mosfets because of the added diode protection.

I tried the same IR setup with a 2 coil ssg and I've been baffled for 2 days.

Tried a darlington pair, adding voltage and we are still motionless with it.

I'm so used to making SSG circuits with trigger winding that I never learned what the MJL21194's really need to switch on.

Data sheet says max 5v,5a.

What do you say?

bro d

Comment

Originally posted by brodonh View Post
        Hi All,
        I want to switch a multicoil SSG with opto switching and havn't tried it yet.

Can someone of us provide a link or circuit?

Thanks,

bro d
        Hi Brodonh,

You may need to make slots in the timming wheel to be able switch with the Opto-coupler, but this is just as same as using Magnetic pick up.....
        Rgds,
        Faraday88.
        'Wisdom comes from living out of the knowledge.'

Comment

I've got the slotted timing wheel but I'm not getting a response from the trannys.
          Need a known to be good for ssg circuit.
          My IR diodes are testing as good but when I hook it up I'm missing something.
          Tying the grounds is required.
          I'm sure someone has done it and can help.
          thanks
          bro d

Comment

I run a nte 3088 opto with at least 300 ohm 34 gauge pickup coil too turn on fets or transisters. But I have too get ride of the neo magnets.
            Last edited by maxc; 04-22-2015, 06:07 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

Hi bro d,

Not sure if you saw Rick's 12 coil SG that was shown at one of the conferences. Unfortunately the machine suffered from an unbalanced and unstable rotor and could not run at full speed but Rick did have it triggered optically.

I don't have a copy of the circuit, however I do remember that it had a timing wheel and used a 555 timer to control the on-time of the transistors. The circuit actually worked pretty well, as it gave you the ability to control the speed of the motor by adjusting a potentiometer.

Rick had it running as more of a motor than an energiser, with the intention of coupling it to a generator. However the issues with the rotor put an end to the experiment and Rick ended up selling it.

Personally, I think a better circuit than opto triggering would be hall effect sensor triggering - similar to John's window motor.

John K.

Comment

Hi John,
                Thanks for responding. Multiple power trannys need sufficient current on time.

I can get a single tranny ssg to run with IR diode switching but it is wimpy compared to trigger winding.

Half B/C?

Maybe a mosfet driver with pots to start safely and ..................

Transistor drivers don't seem to exist like mosfet drivers.

Keepin on

bro d

Comment

Hi Bro D,

I haven't used opto's to drive the tranny's, but I do have a five filar SSG with hall effect switches triggering small transistors. The small transistors then trigger the five MJL21194's. I can adjust both the timing and pulse width with the halls. I posted the schematic in an earlier thread. Here's a link to that post. http://www.energyscienceforum.com/sh...6889#post16889

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Hammond View Post
                    Hi Bro D,

I haven't used opto's to drive the tranny's, but I do have a five filar SSG with hall effect switches triggering small transistors. The small transistors then trigger the five MJL21194's. I can adjust both the timing and pulse width with the halls. I posted the schematic in an earlier thread. Here's a link to that post. http://www.energyscienceforum.com/sh...6889#post16889
                    Thank you very much Gary,
                    This is a big help!

I've seen opto switching of muticoil machines on U tube but the dancing camera and incoherrent mumbling are effective filters.

You are a blessing, Sir.

bro d

Comment

Hi All,
                      Got it to work by powering an MJL21194 off the run batt and placing it between the IR output and the SSG trigger input.
                      Darlington? kinda with the emitter of 1st going to base of 2nd and the collectors connected through the coil.
                      The grounds of IR supply, 1st tranny, 2nd tranny and run batt are all tied.

This was my first attemp after studying Gary Hammonds linked schematic.

Havn't tried it on the multicoiler yet but it looks promising with one tranny.

Thanks bro d
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by brodonh; 04-26-2015, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Hi All,
                        Got it to work by powering an MJL21194 off the run batt and placing it between the IR output and the SSG trigger input.
                        Darlington? kinda with the emitter of 1st going to base of 2nd and the collectors connected through the coil.

Thanks bro d

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4566[/ATTACH]
                        thought you were using an opto-interrupter so I drew this up:
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	opto interrupter.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	46999

As long as I drew it up...
                        you can use the pnp to trigger 1 or many many more mjl21194/npn's.
                        KR - Patrick

Comment

Hi KR-Patrick,
                          I appreciate your taking some time for this.
                          You are talking about what I wanted to know and your drawing sounds perfect.
                          Been having brain cramps. Please have mercy on me.
                          I do not understand how to hook up the npn in your drawing.
                          It seems that the base of the npn has to connect to the collector of the pnp in your drawing,
                          but is the indicated battery the run batt for an ssg or suppy for the opto-interrupter or both. Is the coil the ssg coil.
                          I've never used an opto interrupter so I suspect that the cap and R's are standard opto hookup.
                          I'm sure it works as you say but unable to translate.

If you have a little more help that would be great.

Thanks,

bro d

Comment

Hi All,

Thanks bro d

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4566[/ATTACH]
                            Hi All,

Tried it with the multicoiler with 10 npn's and it was running 1000rpm faster than with the trigger winding at 24v input.
                            npn's were slightly above room temp. Had to piddle with it a little for good results but it's functional and I'm grateful.

Patrick knows what I want to know so hope to hear from him again about this.

bro d

Comment

Hi guys,

I have been thinking of building a mechanical machine using the device below. I have already built a solid state using it and a cap dumper. The logic signal of my micro controller is enough to drive it so I know a little genny could do it as well.

Why is this relevant to this conversation? It is an opto coupled FET package basically. look at the spec sheet and think of the possibilities for switching. I love these little things!

Link:
                              http://www.crydom.com/en/products/catalog/e_l_dc.pdf

Comment

Working...
                              X