Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brodonh View Post
    Hi All,

Tried it with the multicoiler with 10 npn's and it was running 1000rpm faster than with the trigger winding at 24v input.
    npn's were slightly above room temp. Had to piddle with it a little for good results but it's functional and I'm grateful.

Patrick knows what I want to know so hope to hear from him again about this.

bro d
    Hi Bro d,
    so check Gary's post 19 the hall is triggering 2 pnp's (interesting use of two...) which go on to trigger many NPN's - so for this opto/phototransistor do the same thing only picture 1 pnp instead of two.

Again, your drawing does NOT picture a phototransistor, what are you using instead?

That's some nice speed you're getting, how about the charging?
    once you start using other methods to trigger the "SSG" you now have to consider timing vs charging - yes :-)
    KR - Patrick

Comment

Hi KR-Patrick,
      Did your chickens make it through the winter OK?
      Mine did but we had heavy snow covering up til 2 weeks ago.
      I put a heat lamp and water warmer in the coup with a thermal switch that goes on a 35degF. it was on for months.

In my drawing D2 can be drawn like a photo transistor. I cut a timing wheel on my router that passes between them
      and the setup looks like a very large opto- interruptor.
      I used Gary's schemtic to work out my circuit for the 2 coil 10 pwr strand machine and now it's running a over 4000rpm at 24v.
      It's modeled after (gulp!) the dualpole which functions the same as ssg multicoil monopole. The rotors are 7"D. Charging looks promising.
      I'm able to adjust the timing so that it runs cool at top speed. 2.5A draw.

I'm spent time comparing your drawing with Gary's before your last post and I'm still missing it.
      I was thinking that the two horizontal lines with a + sign above to the right was a bipolar cap.
      Now I suspect it's a batt. What is throwing me off is the unbroken line from the collector of the PNP around the right side of the drawing.
      Doesn't the base of the NPN have to be connected somewhere on the trace?
      I don't understand what you are showing according to your understanding.
      Are you showing an SSG coil and run batt along with the opto or just the opto cct?

I've ordered some Opto interrupters and I've done Hall's with pnp's before so I'll get it eventually.

Thanks bro d
      Last edited by brodonh; 04-24-2015, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brodonh View Post
        Hi KR-Patrick,
        Did your chickens make it through the winter OK?
        Mine did but we had heavy snow covering up til 2 weeks ago.
        I put a heat lamp and water warmer in the coup with a thermal switch that goes on a 35degF. it was on for months.

In my drawing D2 can be drawn like a photo transistor. I cut a timing wheel on my router that passes between them
        and the setup looks like a very large opto- interruptor.
        I used Gary's schemtic to work out my circuit for the 2 coil 10 pwr strand machine and now it's running a over 4000rpm at 24v.
        It's modeled after (gulp!) the dualpole which functions the same as ssg multicoil monopole. The rotors are 7"D. Charging looks promising.
        I'm able to adjust the timing so that it runs cool at top speed. 2.5A draw.

I'm spent time comparing your drawing with Gary's before your last post and I'm still missing it.
        I was thinking that the two horizontal lines with a + sign above to the right was a bipolar cap.
        Now I suspect it's a batt. What is throwing me off is the unbroken line from the collector of the PNP around the right side of the drawing.
        Doesn't the base of the NPN have to be connected somewhere on the trace?
        I don't understand what you are showing according to your understanding.
        Are you showing an SSG coil and run batt along with the opto or just the opto cct?

I've ordered some Opto interrupters and I've done Hall's with pnp's before so I'll get it eventually.

Thanks bro d
        Let's see if this works:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Opto SSG.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	47013
        let me know if I made any mistakes, I tested it out on an old Adam's type motor before uploading...
        Kind Regards - Patrick A.

Comment

Thanks Patrick A.,
          I didn't want to grieve you with endless "silly" questions.
          Will do the rewrite in a few days and report.
          Thanks again,
          bro d

Comment

Hi Guys,

This file is a corrected version of the IR trigger for ssg.

I can only speculate as to why it worked the other way. Bad clip lead, mistaken, etc.

It's running now with 2, 5 strand coil @24v.

The ground connection from the emitter of T2 has been removed.

Thanks,

bro d

Click image for larger version

Name:	edited ir ssg trigger.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	47036

Comment

Working...
            X