2019 ESTC ALL SEATS SOLD OUT!
PRE-REGISTER FOR THE
2020 ENERGY CONFERENCE

Monero XMR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opto triggering of ssg multicoil

Smile Opto triggering of ssg multicoil

Hi All,
    I want to switch a multicoil SSG with opto switching and havn't tried it yet.

Can someone of us provide a link or circuit?

Thanks,

bro d

Hey bro d, why do you want to do that?

John K.

Hi John,

I have a motor that runs with mosfets at 3-400v and I'm using IR diodes to sw the mosfets.

It works very well. No blown mosfets because of the added diode protection.

I tried the same IR setup with a 2 coil ssg and I've been baffled for 2 days.

Tried a darlington pair, adding voltage and we are still motionless with it.

I'm so used to making SSG circuits with trigger winding that I never learned what the MJL21194's really need to switch on.

Data sheet says max 5v,5a.

What do you say?

bro d

Quote Originally Posted by brodonh View Post
    Hi All,
    I want to switch a multicoil SSG with opto switching and havn't tried it yet.

Can someone of us provide a link or circuit?

Thanks,

bro d
    Hi Brodonh,

You may need to make slots in the timming wheel to be able switch with the Opto-coupler, but this is just as same as using Magnetic pick up.....
    Rgds,
    Faraday88.

I've got the slotted timing wheel but I'm not getting a response from the trannys.
    Need a known to be good for ssg circuit.
    My IR diodes are testing as good but when I hook it up I'm missing something.
    Tying the grounds is required.
    I'm sure someone has done it and can help.
    thanks
    bro d

I run a nte 3088 opto with at least 300 ohm 34 gauge pickup coil too turn on fets or transisters. But I have too get ride of the neo magnets.
    Last edited by maxc; 04-22-2015 at 06:07 PM. Reason: added info

Hi bro d,

Not sure if you saw Rick's 12 coil SG that was shown at one of the conferences. Unfortunately the machine suffered from an unbalanced and unstable rotor and could not run at full speed but Rick did have it triggered optically.

I don't have a copy of the circuit, however I do remember that it had a timing wheel and used a 555 timer to control the on-time of the transistors. The circuit actually worked pretty well, as it gave you the ability to control the speed of the motor by adjusting a potentiometer.

Rick had it running as more of a motor than an energiser, with the intention of coupling it to a generator. However the issues with the rotor put an end to the experiment and Rick ended up selling it.

Personally, I think a better circuit than opto triggering would be hall effect sensor triggering - similar to John's window motor.

John K.

Hi John,
    Thanks for responding. Multiple power trannys need sufficient current on time.

I can get a single tranny ssg to run with IR diode switching but it is wimpy compared to trigger winding.

Half B/C?

Maybe a mosfet driver with pots to start safely and ..................

Transistor drivers don't seem to exist like mosfet drivers.

Keepin on

bro d

Hi Bro D,

I haven't used opto's to drive the tranny's, but I do have a five filar SSG with hall effect switches triggering small transistors. The small transistors then trigger the five MJL21194's. I can adjust both the timing and pulse width with the halls. I posted the schematic in an earlier thread. Here's a link to that post. http://www.energyscienceforum.com/sh...6889#post16889
    Gary Hammond,

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hammond View Post
    Hi Bro D,

I haven't used opto's to drive the tranny's, but I do have a five filar SSG with hall effect switches triggering small transistors. The small transistors then trigger the five MJL21194's. I can adjust both the timing and pulse width with the halls. I posted the schematic in an earlier thread. Here's a link to that post. http://www.energyscienceforum.com/sh...6889#post16889
    Thank you very much Gary,
    This is a big help!

I've seen opto switching of muticoil machines on U tube but the dancing camera and incoherrent mumbling are effective filters.

You are a blessing, Sir.

bro d