Father of the Modern Flywheel Dies at age 96

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Father of the Modern Flywheel Dies at age 96

Longtime Livermore lab physicist and "father of the modern flywheel" dies at 96

By Jeremy Thomas jethomas@bayareanewsgroup.comPOSTED: 04/08/2015 01:21:26 PM PDT0 COMMENTS| UPDATED: 8 DAYS AGO

WALNUT CREEK -- Lawrence Livermore Lab physicist Richard "****" Post, the "father of the modern flywheel" who worked at the lab for 63 years, died Tuesday night following a short illness, lab officials said. He was 96.

Post joined the Livermore lab in 1952, just months after it opened. He researched magnetic fusion energy alongside luminaries such as physicists Herb York, the lab's first director, and Edward Teller, "the father of the hydrogen bomb."

Post retired in 1994, but continued to work, driving himself to the lab four days a week to research various projects, including his flywheel battery. He worked until the last week of his life.Lawrence Livermore Lab physicist Richard "****" Post, the "father of the modern flywheel" who worked at the lab for 63 years, died April 7, 3015, following a short illness, lab officials said. He was 96. (Jim Stevens/Bay Area News Group)

An accomplished inventor, Post holds 34 patents, including nine since he turned 90. He also filed 28 records of invention, an early step in the patent process, over that period. The oldest working scientist in Livermore lab's history, Post was bestowed with the lab's Lifetime Achievement Award in 2012.

"Energy is the bottom line," Post said in a Times profile in 2013. "If I've got an idea I can contribute, I'd like to work on it as long as I need to."

Post was preceded in death by his wife of 66 years, Marylee. He is survived by children Steve, Markie, and Rodney, and six grandchildren. Daughter Markie is an actress best known for her role on TV's "Night Court."

Funeral arrangements are pending.
    Advertisement

Contact Jeremy Thomas at 925-847-2184. Follow him at Twitter.com/jet_bang.
Working...
X