prototype Genny spool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• prototype Genny spool

Here is a first run generator spool prototype, we are working on.. its pretty beefy with tabs for mounting, thought everyone might like to see it. it should be ready by the time the conference comes around.

Tom C
    Attached Files

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Tom,

Good looking proto - be happy to test for you and see if it can hold up to the Vermont winding method. Have a spool of 16 AWG wire ready to twist and wind as soon as the snow melts and the spring mud subsides.

Need two of these puppies - may have to wait until the conference...

Yaro
    Yaro

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -Neil Degrasse Tyson

Comment

they will probably be available at the conference, need to get manufacturing in order and quantities so I can get decent pricing.

Tom C

Comment

Originally posted by Tom C View Post
        they will probably be available at the conference, need to get manufacturing in order and quantities so I can get decent pricing.

Tom C
        Hi Tom --

What are the physical dimensions of that coil holder? Also how many packs of welding rods would it need?

-- James

Comment

the height is the same as the standard spool 3 1/2 inches. the narrow width of the oval is 3/4 inch. the long axis of the oval is approx. 2 5/8 it mimics the spool that peter lindeman cobbled together for his genny coil for the advanced SG book. it takes about 24 ounces of rod, I need to make some rod the correct length, right now I have just been stuffing our standard rod into it. which leaves a bunch hanging out one side. it will hold 10 strands of 16 AWG 100 feet long litzed. I am leaning on using smaller wire as the tuning function was just getting it close enough to work and still be non reflective.

Tom C

Comment

the height is the same as the standard spool 3 1/2 inches. the narrow width of the oval is 3/4 inch. the long axis of the oval is approx. 2 5/8 it mimics the spool that peter lindeman cobbled together for his genny coil for the advanced SG book. it takes about 24 ounces of rod, I need to make some rod the correct length, right now I have just been stuffing our standard rod into it. which leaves a bunch hanging out one side. it will hold 10 strands of 16 AWG 100 feet long litzed. I am leaning on using smaller wire as the tuning function was just getting it close enough to work and still be non reflective.

Tom C
            Hi Tom --

Oh I wish I could of had one of those spools 2 months ago. I have already made my generator coil. Works
            great. Puts out 15 volts AC which I used a diode block and some big caps to smooth out the ripple to a DC voltage
            that is the same as a 12 volt battery puts out. I hooked up one of your 5 super bright LED boards to it. Puts out a
            very bright light.

-- James

Comment

Thanks for the reply,

OK with me if the production timeline coincides with the conference. Rather have a good looking custom spool than one of my home built units. Important to have a good looking setup!

Yaro
              Yaro

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -Neil Degrasse Tyson

Comment

Tom C
                Hi Tom --

I was thinking about this generator coil form and I believe this may be a nice coil form to rewind my big
                coil onto. Can you put me in for 2 of these coil forms with the welding rods fill for each coil form. Just let me
                know how much money I need to send you.

-- James

Comment

sure James,

looks like production pricing will not be much cheaper than doing it piece work, as a 3D printed object is simply a matter of time and filament. trying to get print times lower while maintaining quality right now.

Tom C

Comment

Working...
                  X