Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil Winding Questions

Hello all!

1. In the Monopole Master Class DVD from JB, he states that it doesn't matter how many winds you put on the coil...just that you want to fill the coil up. However, I'm seeing a lot of discussion about the amount of winds to put on a coil. I am just building the Vanilla SSG, and have a spool that is the correct height, width, and core size. Is there any reason why I shouldn't follow John's advice on the DVD and just wind until the coil is filled?

2. I've read discussions about how the 23/26 awg wire from the r-charge kits won't cut it for larger batteries...that you must use 18/19 guage on the power wire. However, seems like it would be fine to leave the trigger at 26... For the vanilla SSG build, there's only one transistor. From what I understand, you only need to move to heavier trigger wire if you are trying to fire multiple transistors. I've also read here that the smaller the trigger wire, the less current draw. Is all of this correct? I'm planning on winding a 19 power / 26 trigger bifilar coil.

Thanks for any help!

Branch

Furthermore to Branch's question, do we need a different size trigger or can the trigger also be 18ga AND does the trigger wire need to be twisted with the other 4 or do we wind separately. It was my understanding that all were to be twisted and that John B said that they could all be 18ga.
    Thanks
    James

Comment

well that is a trick question as no one has the same size spool...... some spools people make themselves, some use big tall ones, so it varies by as much as 100 feet or more... so if you "fill the spool up" and it is a standard pittsfield spool with a 3/4 hole like John used on his 10 coil, you will end up with a coil with 5 strands on it, it will be full at around 150 feet. they can all be 18 gauge, I wind my tigger wire a different color wire, so I have 10lb spools of the red magnet wire, and 1 10 lb spool with green magnet wire. JBs big 10 coil has 1.2 ohm coils, it is most important that everything be the same from the wire length stand point.

Tom C

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

[QUOTE=Branch Gordon;1389]Hello all!

1. In the Monopole Master Class DVD from JB, he states that it doesn't matter how many winds you put on the coil...just that you want to fill the coil up. However, I'm seeing a lot of discussion about the amount of winds to put on a coil. I am just building the Vanilla SSG, and have a spool that is the correct height, width, and core size. Is there any reason why I shouldn't follow John's advice on the DVD and just wind until the coil is filled?

2. I've read discussions about how the 23/26 awg wire from the r-charge kits won't cut it for larger batteries...that you must use 18/19 guage on the power wire. However, seems like it would be fine to leave the trigger at 26... For the vanilla SSG build, there's only one transistor. From what I understand, you only need to move to heavier trigger wire if you are trying to fire multiple transistors. I've also read here that the smaller the trigger wire, the less current draw. Is all of this correct? I'm planning on winding a 19 power / 26 trigger bifilar coil.

Thanks for any help!

Branch, I do not see any reason why the 19 & 26 will not work together. It should be OK.

Bud
        Do not procrastinate! Make something happen...even if it is wrong. Once begun half done!

Comment

Originally posted by James Milner View Post
          Furthermore to Branch's question, do we need a different size trigger or can the trigger also be 18ga AND does the trigger wire need to be twisted with the other 4 or do we wind separately. It was my understanding that all were to be twisted and that John B said that they could all be 18ga.
          Thanks
          James
          The trigger does not need to be twisted together with the other power leads. I have wound mine both ways and both work OK. The last two I made are wound trigger separate from the twisted power leads.

I am going to take a stab at this....one of the main reasons for twisting the power leads is to make sure that as you wind them onto the spool they all stay the same length as you wind once you get the spooll filled...and they all stay in the same location on the spool. I see it like winding a cable onto a drum.

I do not see a reason why the trigger could not be the same size as well as power lead.

Bud
          Do not procrastinate! Make something happen...even if it is wrong. Once begun half done!

Comment

inductance calculator

Coil Inductance Calculator - 66pacific.com

Comment

Hi,
              The longitudal nature of the Radiant Spikes suggest that the Coil needs to be matching the Impedance (as John has been always saying) in 'two folds': 1) the battery impedance is depicted by the coil in that the Coil's Interinsic resistance becomes componential to the Battery Impedance Inducto-Capacitivily 2)While the its Inductance gets componential to the Battery's Capacito-Inductive Parameter.
              This can be acheived in many ways. the later apart needs further Engineering to get hold on it.
              Rgds,
              Faraday88.
              'Wisdom comes from living out of the knowledge.'

Comment

Originally posted by Faraday88 View Post
                Hi,
                The longitudal nature of the Radiant Spikes suggest that the Coil needs to be matching the Impedance (as John has been always saying) in 'two folds': 1) the battery impedance is depicted by the coil in that the Coil's Interinsic resistance becomes componential to the Battery Impedance Inducto-Capacitivily 2)While the its Inductance gets componential to the Battery's Capacito-Inductive Parameter.
                This can be acheived in many ways. the later apart needs further Engineering to get hold on it.
                Rgds,
                Faraday88.
                do you have the math for this? if I know the batteries impedance (I do) then are you saying that internally the battery is an LCR circuit as it relates to the coil? please show the formulas if you can...

Tom C

Comment

Hi Tom C,
                  There is no math as far as i know it (quote from Bedini him self : There is no math for the Radiant Current) Tesla was working on this what is called as the Quotrainain which i have no undersatnding at this point in time.
                  It is indeed an LCR Circuit, with each parameter acting as an mean- Node Independently. with the other 'two' as stiff oscillatory node of Longitudal Oscillation one is Time polarized (Tom bearden).

Faraday88.

Comment

wire size

Originally posted by Forrest View Post
                    The trigger does not need to be twisted together with the other power leads. I have wound mine both ways and both work OK. The last two I made are wound trigger separate from the twisted power leads.

I am going to take a stab at this....one of the main reasons for twisting the power leads is to make sure that as you wind them onto the spool they all stay the same length as you wind once you get the spooll filled...and they all stay in the same location on the spool. I see it like winding a cable onto a drum.

I do not see a reason why the trigger could not be the same size as well as power lead.

Bud
                    I have seen motors using all the same size wires especially in the newer ones. The early ones used different sizes probably thinking they were faster triggers.

Comment

Hi Antiobama,
                      Actually, the different size wire do matter at Resonant Conditions... since thicker wires will have lower Self-Inductance compared to Thinner wires of the same length (Bifilar) and it is advicable to have it different to get the best of the Radiant Capture. but aslo take care that their Insulations are of the same type. (use both Polyurethane enamel ot both Polyester)
                      Rgds,
                      Faraday88.a
                      Last edited by Faraday88; 07-01-2013, 11:56 PM.

Comment

hello all..

i have a question about the SSG coil.

I'm plan to build SSG Bedini 6 Coil (Coil A ~ F), i noticed the coil arrangement is :

- Coil A, is 4 Magnet Wire (all twisted together) @18 AWG and have a length 130 Feet.
                        - Coil B, is 4 Magnet Wire (all twisted together) @18 AWG and have a length 130 Feet.
                        - Coil C, is 4 Magnet Wire (all twisted together) @18 AWG and have a length 130 Feet.
                        - Coil D, is 4 Magnet Wire (all twisted together) @18 AWG and have a length 130 Feet.
                        - Coil E, is 4 Magnet Wire (all twisted together) @18 AWG and have a length 130 Feet.
                        - Coil F, is 5 Magnet Wire (all twisted together) @18 AWG and have a length 130 Feet, this coil with Trigger coil.

after all finish, then I winding each coil A,B,C,D,E,F in the same size Spool (3 3/4" H by 3.5" top and bottom, 3/4 bore).
                        so i have seen the total winding of coil A,B,C,D,E is 318 turns, But at the coil F (with trigger is 5 Magnet Wire twisted) the winding is not 318 turns, only 298 turns.

so, is it no problem ?
                        or i must decrease the total coil winding A,B,C,D,E to 298 turns ? so all spools have same turns coil ?

please help me.

i'm sorry before, if my english not good.

thanks in advance,

regards,
                        gie
                        Last edited by gie_lostdream; 07-14-2013, 02:04 PM. Reason: wrong words

Comment

Gie, AFAIC ... It doesnt matter if your trigger coil (coil F) have lower turn,as long as the lenght of thewire the same or at least close in value it doesnt matter... You will have to tune it afterall later. by adjusting your potensiometer.
                          Cheers,
                          Alfin

Comment

dear alfin,

what is AFAIC ?
                            ok, so there is no problem if the trigger coil (coil F) have lower turn. you mean, the most importance is total length of all the coil must have the same length, right ?

thanks alfin.

regards,
                            gie

Comment

Gie,
                              Correct, the length of the wire is the point, keep it as the same as possible...it should be AFAIK (as far as i know) not AFAIC... looks like you want to build multicoil? try to run with single coil(coil F) try to know ur machine first before scale it up, happy build
                              regards,
                              Alfin

Comment

Working...
                              X