handling strong ass magnets safely

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• handling strong ass magnets safely

can you get copper gloves or anything like that, to handle strong neo's safely ?

just thought it was something worth looking into, so you dont bleed out and die, when one of your arms gets smashed to bits.

I don't think there is really anything that is going to protect you unless they are titanium or carbon fiber maybe. the big neos (like the 6" ones) are able to put up metal from a considerable distance and hurl it towards the magnet at pretty crazy speed. a copper glove would probably squish as much as your hand would. with very veryt strong magnets i feel unless your in an open field (nowhere near magnetite) there will always be a little danger behind something that can throw things at the person holding it.

Comment

copper has built in voodoo magic

Comment

the only safe way to handle neo mags is to leave them somewhere else, far away from things that can bleed...... I have a rotor with 500 LB pull neo mags, its a widow maker. I had to build a special jig to use them and shorting plates for them so they fields were a bit weaker.

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

id love to see this rotor/setup tom

Comment

here ya go note to everyone, this rotor was a FAILURE!!! the fields were so huge that there was no way this thing was going to work... I had the core machined 250.00 the magnets were almost 600.00 another two hundred for the PTFE cut machined and tapped the timing disc was 25.00 I brought it to John and he said "it will never work" I said "why?' he said " take the coil and short it" with the coil shorted to itself, you could not turn the rotor by hand, or even with a 2 foot bar on the axle. the induced current in the coil was so hi, it was immediately in a locked rotor situation, and I shocked myself pretty good unhooking the coil. basically for this rotor to even begin to work as a window motor the coils need to be 9 inches away from each side.

in order to use this as a generator rotor it would need a 10 horsepower motor at least.

so... yea expensive lesson learned. I wanted to reuse the rotor but guess what, I glued the magnets on with 3500 psi 2 part epoxy, and the slots are all tolerance fit at three thousands of an inch. I then dropped it out of my press and chipped the corner off one of the 90 dollar magnets...

so everyone just stick with ceramics.... especially with window motors until you really know what you are doing.

Tom C
            Attached Files

Comment

holy **** thats crazy!!... i think we can learn just as much from peoples failures.... did you ever try it on higher voltage?? its probably too far gone, but most of the neo pulse motors ive seen that run half decent were operating on higher voltages

Comment

Tom, that rotor with neos would make a great magnetic break isn't? for example, a car with magnetic break recovery when you break you recover power.

Comment

@ Brodie,

the full BC circuit likes 12 or 24 volts, I have never run them higher. it would require different components. it did not even turn....... the force was just too hi. it will run one day as a generator. I wish I could re use the rotor, going to get another one machined eventually, at least then I can use the frame, axle and the timing disk.

it just shows what using the wrong ideas about magnets will lead you to.. like stronger is better for a window motor... WRONG!!

@ Alvaro

yea it would make a great brake!! probably lock the tires up....

Tom C
                  Last edited by Tom C; 02-16-2015, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brodie Gwilliam View Post
                    holy **** thats crazy!!... i think we can learn just as much from peoples failures....
                    yes sir

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClkP-QwIOAQ
                    guy

Comment

Originally posted by Tom C View Post
                      .. it just shows what using the wrong ideas about magnets will lead you to.. like stronger is better for a window motor... WRONG!!
                      Sure, safe and sane is good advice, but... sometimes the dream is just TOO Glorious! 500 LB pull neo mags - WHOOOOOIE!!

Comment

nice idea there tom, shame about the outcome.
                        i have a feeling alot of people have run into this problem, thinking big, and it backfiring.

im suprised you still have your fingers.
                        does a clump of magnets that strong, not fly across the room and grab onto door handles, etc ?

im thinking of using magnets one quarter of that strength, and they still scare me enough to not mess with.

did you ever try the windings 9" away ?

what did you use to lock the rotor to the shaft ? ... looks like some type of locking hub ? i need something like that.
                        Last edited by grounded; 02-17-2015, 11:31 AM.

Comment

The rotor is drilled and tapped for dogpoint allen set screws, it looks like a collar but it is just a step, no never tried the big windings, just too much wire. you handle them one at a time. I used plastic spacers between each magnet when I glued them in. they came from the magnet place with spacers and shorting plates,

Tom C

Comment

I've found the best way to use strong magnets is to "fractalize" them. You can form magnetic gear trains also. If you place magnets on the circumference of a disk, whether they are all one pole outwards, or alternating, it doesn't matter pole wise, you will still have alternating poles going around it. So if you mount a magnet outside of this disk on bearings or bushings so it can spin around the axis of it's poles, it will spin once in between each magnet on the disk giving a spin ratio. You can spin a lot of magnets with low power in and high output this way. It's kind of like Tesla's bladeless turbine as far as Lenz's law too.

Comment

Working...
                            X