Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best way of attaching magnets to aluminium rim

whats the best way to do this ?

i thought about using cable ties and tape, but the ties would mean i wouldnt be able to get the coils as close to the magnets, and the tape, i was paranoid it would steal power away from the device, as its an electrical insulator by nature.

what do people recommend ?

I use glue or glue gun

Click image for larger version

Name:	Glue gun.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	46892

Comment

I would use strong duct tape, preferably the stuff with canvas woven in.

Comment

I use double sided VHB tape from 3M it has very hi holding, can be repositioned easily for a few seconds and is hard to peel off after it sets. add a bit of strapping tape to the outside and it will never come off.

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

Originally posted by Tom C View Post
          I use double sided VHB tape from 3M it has very hi holding, can be repositioned easily for a few seconds and is hard to peel off after it sets. add a bit of strapping tape to the outside and it will never come off.

Tom C
          Agree with Tom, I have had my rim close to 600RPM and the magnets are solid. Allows you to swap magnets/change spacing easy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vhb.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	46893

Comment

I used Gorilla Glue and the fiberglass tape. I use that $#it on everything- Sorry couldn't help it

Comment

I use a small amount of Crazy Glue to set the ceramic magnets around the wheel then I use Hurricane Tape and put quite a few layers on the rotor. I have used just the Hurricane tape, with no Crazy Glue up to 4000rpm and had no issues at that rpm but I would not advise anyone to try this and I for sure would not stand in front of the machine when spinning that fast, as one magnet to the melon at that speed and its game over.

http://www.bunkerincorp.com/contact.htm

-Dave Wing
              Last edited by Dave Wing; 02-06-2015, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Hello Grounded,

I use tierips to attach the magnets to the rim, couvert by ducktape for safety.

Aat

Comment

Working...
                X