Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Typo in SG Advanced Book

Hi all,
    probably this is the wrong place but I did not find anything else that fit better.

A couple of days ago I bought the SG Advanced Book.
    Within Chapter 6 'The Simple Low-Drag Generator', Page 55, last paragraph there is a statement that I think is totally wrong.

'The Lenz reaction produced by this current is applied back towards the external magnetic field in exact opposition to the angle by which it is induced. In this case, it reduces the permanent magnet's attraction to the iron core, which is still mostly vertical in its orientation at this moment.'

Well, I guess if that would be really the case we would have self running SG's all over the place since years ;-)

I build too many advanced SG's that such an effect would have passed me unnoticed.

Matter of factly using a pick up coil with a reasonable load, eg. a 100 Ohm resistor will exibit the following effects.

While the rotating permanent magnet approches the iron core a voltage is induced in the coil as described. The flow of current caused by the load produces a Lenz reaction (Force) that acts against the approaching magnet. This is exactly was is described in the book.

While leaving the core, things change.
    Now again a voltage of the same amplitude is induced in the coil, but this time with the polarity flipped over. Obviously the current now reversed direction as well. The Lenz reaction is inverted too of course. That means that the attraction to the core is increased and not reduced as described in the book.

Following the description within the book would mean, that the wheel is accelerated while approaching the core and by drawing away energy by the generator coil the wheel would be slowed down lesser while departing the core the more energy is drawn away...
    That means under load the wheel would get going faster and faster until it disintegrates. That way you would even not need any circuity to drive the wheel...

Well, by all means that one is quit epic, isn't it?
    Especially because the whole chapter and more or less the whole book is dedicated to the whereabouts of using the mechanically out of phase Lenz reaction of the low drag generator setup.

I wonder if anybody else has found that evil typo as well by now.... ;-)

Cheers
    Stephan

Originally posted by Stephan Becker View Post
    Hi all,
    probably this is the wrong place but I did not find anything else that fit better.

A couple of days ago I bought the SG Advanced Book.
    Within Chapter 6 'The Simple Low-Drag Generator', Page 55, last paragraph there is a statement that I think is totally wrong.

'The Lenz reaction produced by this current is applied back towards the external magnetic field in exact opposition to the angle by which it is induced. In this case, it reduces the permanent magnet's attraction to the iron core, which is still mostly vertical in its orientation at this moment.'

Well, I guess if that would be really the case we would have self running SG's all over the place since years ;-)

I build too many advanced SG's that such an effect would have passed me unnoticed.

Matter of factly using a pick up coil with a reasonable load, eg. a 100 Ohm resistor will exibit the following effects.

While the rotating permanent magnet approches the iron core a voltage is induced in the coil as described. The flow of current caused by the load produces a Lenz reaction (Force) that acts against the approaching magnet. This is exactly was is described in the book.

While leaving the core, things change.
    Now again a voltage of the same amplitude is induced in the coil, but this time with the polarity flipped over. Obviously the current now reversed direction as well. The Lenz reaction is inverted too of course. That means that the attraction to the core is increased and not reduced as described in the book.

Following the description within the book would mean, that the wheel is accelerated while approaching the core and by drawing away energy by the generator coil the wheel would be slowed down lesser while departing the core the more energy is drawn away...
    That means under load the wheel would get going faster and faster until it disintegrates. That way you would even not need any circuity to drive the wheel...

Well, by all means that one is quit epic, isn't it?
    Especially because the whole chapter and more or less the whole book is dedicated to the whereabouts of using the mechanically out of phase Lenz reaction of the low drag generator setup.

I wonder if anybody else has found that evil typo as well by now.... ;-)

Cheers
    Stephan

Hi Stephen,

Please note that the SG operates 'in and out of the Lenz Law' and not in a Anti-function Manner as you are suggesting.. the low drag Generator for example does not even have the normal current to exhibit the Lenz's effect so there is no way to have an Anti -Lenz's law at play. so what does this mean..?
    Rgds,
    Faraday88.
    'Wisdom comes from living out of the knowledge.'

Comment

Hi Faraday,

I'm not suggesting anything here.
      I just studied the book and found an obvoius error in the description of the low drag generator.

This case could be easily verified by anybody who has the book and a SG with pickup coil and some LED's as load at hand.
      On my side I used the small original Bedini 3-Coil device with its small pickup coil on top, I build several years ago, to check this out.

BTW:
      In this Book Peter Lindemann clearly states, that there is nothing special to that 'Low drag Generator'.
      No mysteries, no hidden or unknow effects. Just plain conventional electric and magnetic science. All known laws, including the Lenz law apply.

The trick JB used here is twofold (as Peter Lindemann explained in the book).
      1st, He just used an unconventional mechanical setup, that puts the mechanical Lenz reaction approx. 90 degree out of phase of the rotation of the wheel when the magnets are passing the pickup coil, effectively mostly nullifing any breaking force to the wheel.
      And 2nd, power is only generated during a very narrow slot, close to the center of the coil core, just where the induced voltage is the highest.

Hidden in plain sight for more than 30 years..... as Peter Lindemann says in the book.

Did you read the book?
      If not, well go and get it ASAP. It's quite enlighting.

Cheers
      Stephan
      Last edited by Stephan Becker; 01-15-2015, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Hi All,

I stumbled upon the same as Stephan.
        On page 55 of the advanced handbook on the bottom it reads:
        …it reduces the permanent magnet’s attraction to the iron core…
        The opposite is true I’d say: The magnetic field strength in the iron core wants to drop / change (when the magnet moves away) and it is this change that the capacitor circuit tries to oppose, resulting in a slower drop of the magnetic field in the iron core, resulting in MORE/longer attraction of the magnet to the iron core (when the magnet moves away).
        But as stated by Stephan and page 56, this only causes low drag (instead of strong drag) since the direction of movement of the magnet and the direction of the attraction between the magnet and the core are almost perpendicular:
        It’s just that in this configuration, the geometry does not apply the reverse mechanical force directly against the forward progress of the rotation of the wheel, which is still….

Best regards,
        Rodolphe

Comment

Hi Gary, RS,

I think I’ve found some more typos in the Advanced Hanbook:

Page 93 “…spike produced by the discharge of an inductor into a high impedance load”
          Page 94 “…energy discharges into a high impedance load”

Should this not be “low impedance load”? Since this is what has been talked about before in the Intermediate Handbook:

Page 20 “…which in turn dicharges into a low impedence…”
          Page 21 “…low impedance load..”
          Page 22 “… circuit of low impedence”

Best regards,
          Rodolphe

Comment

Working...
          X