Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any benefit to multifilar or multi coil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any benefit to multifilar or multi coil?

Is there any charging benefit to having a multifilar for example having 5 wires plus trigger and running 5 transistors for one coil?

What about upgrading to a multicoil with 3 coils, one primary and two slaves?

Which is the better route?

I am looking to create a new motor but stumped at which way to go.

Hi William,

Am throwing my cents worth in. From what I know using a primary with two slaves is tricky....it means that all coils must be sensing the magnet at the same time. This means that the magnet spacing needs to be very very close so that in any position the coils work in unison.

On the other hand using a muticoil does not have to deal with the magnet spacing. All fire at once regardless of magnet spacing. This gets us by the magnet part!

Now for all coils to fire at the same time all of the transistors must be "hfe" matched.....this is the tiny holes in some meters that allow you to check the hfe on transistors. The transistors leads won't fit so you have to make some tiny extensions to make the connections for test. The diodes also all have to be matched. All of the leads on the multicoil or slaves have to be the same length.

Think about it this way....if you are going to trigger a slave or another winding everything "All components and wires" needs to be exactly the same. This allows them to do everything the same, at the same time, the exact same way.

And yes there is a great charging benefit! Really great! You won't be sorry you tried it!

Bud
    Do not procrastinate! Make something happen...even if it is wrong. Once begun half done!

Comment

Working...
    X