• Show
Clear All

• Tri-Symmetrical Switch

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tri-Symmetrical (Large).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	51185

This is a circuit I designed a while back, it rotates 3 batteries. Every battery gets a turn in every position. So every battery gets a turn to be the charging battery. This circuit is intended for use on a monopole energizer wheel. Each coil has 3 trigger windings, as well as 1 powering/motor winding. The circuit can be modified for as many powering windings as you like with is own transistor. The 3 trigger windings of each coil turn on 3 transistors to power the powering/motor winding. When current is passing though the powering/motor winding, the current is saved in the charging battery. When the powering/motor winding is turned off the back emf from the triggered coil charges a capacitor, when the capacitor is raised above 0.6V the capacitor is dumped into the charging battery. The circuit is Tri-Symmetrical so the same process happens for every one of the 3 coils.

Q1b,Q1c,Q2b,Q2c,Q3b and Q3c can be replaced for low voltage drop SCRs, since Q1,Q2 and Q3 are turning off anyway which will turn off the SCRs and stop them from latching on. All switching devices must all have reverse blocking capability. So mosfets and IGBTs (insulated bipolar transistors) may not be suitable as switching devices in this circuit.

The 3 coils are at 120 degrees out of phase with each other, so they are triggered one at a time. For example if you had 4 magnets on the wheel the coils would be placed evenly around the wheel, at 120 degrees apart.

As different coils are triggered, the batteries are rotated in different positions.

Here are 3 schematics showing 3 different battery rotation positions, with 3 different coil triggerings. This will help you get the idea.

The red arrows represent the current flow, the green arrows represent the back emf(energy recovery from the coil).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Seg3 (Large).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	51188Click image for larger version

Name:	Seg1 (Large).jpg
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	51186Click image for larger version

Name:	seg2 (Large).jpg
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	51187

This could be one of many solutions to solve the battery rotation problem with the ssg.

This circuit can be modified to have just one coil triggering for 1 hour or so, then onto the next coil, with the addition of a 3 position sequential timer circuit such as a 555 timer pulsing a CD4017 decade counter.

I have designed more variations of this circuit, and wish to show them all in a PDF. But I have not been able to find a schematic design software that can rotate the component symbols at 60 degrees. And may have to resort to using a paint brush program or draw the schematics by hand.

So I have posted these hand drawn schematics early, because I don't know how long it will take to make my PDF presentation.

Kind Regards
    Nityesh Schnaderbeck
    Last edited by Nityesh Schnaderbeck; 12-09-2014, 12:15 PM.

do you need the circuit in triangular shape? it would be easier to lay it out and etch it in a regular square format... is the shape important to you?

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

Let me see if I get it Nityesh...so, to bring this up to a practical level, lets say one has 3 banks of LifePo4 batteries, 4 each making 3 banks of 100Ahs. And, one wanted to rotate between charging, resting and powering a small cabin or RV, lets say. One could either wind single coils appropriate to charging each bank (3 bigger ones), or one could gang 9 or 12 coils into 3-phases around the wheel...3 groups of 3, or 3 groups of 4--sort of like winding a 3 phase generator for a wind-charger, or some such machine...am I catching on? Then all one would need to do is add circuitry for changing which bank the cabin was drawing from...If the gains in the battery(s) were high enough, one would not necessarily need the addition of small solar, somewhere in the mix...theoretically, that is.

..sorry...my mind just goes into engineer mode when I see possibly good ideas...hard to shut it off...

I like the symmetry in all of your designs "form plus function equals art"...Looking forward to seeing your other designs...

James
      Last edited by James_Somewhere_In_Idaho; 12-09-2014, 03:46 PM.
      Best Regards ~ James, Somewhere In Idaho

Comment

OK...I looked at your album a little closer...it looks like one should stick with either 1 big coil with 3 sets of circuitry on it or 3 separate coils. Have you tried more windings than your circuit describes? This set-up would probably be better for smaller scale charging systems, like small power tools, for instance, unless one could incorporate more windings...Elegant design...

James

Comment

Originally posted by Tom C View Post
          do you need the circuit in triangular shape? it would be easier to lay it out and etch it in a regular square format... is the shape important to you?

Tom C
          Yes the triangle shape is important to me, it represents the best layout of the circuit with the shortest tracks. And if one was to design a circuit board layout, they would simply follow the triangle schematic layout. I have built 2 other variations of this circuit, and found out that if you don't follow the triangle layout, it results in many over-crossing wires as well as being very confusing to build.

Also the layout looks like a simple Sierpinski triangle.
          Last edited by Nityesh Schnaderbeck; 12-09-2014, 09:41 PM.

Comment

jamesgray3rd There are so many things you can do with this circuit, very many possibilities. The Tri-Symmetrical Switch is a framework for many modifications. It can be modified for a multi-transistor/multi-motor winding configuration like with the ssg. With some modifications it can be controlled with a 3 position sequential timer circuit, such as a 555 timer pulsing a CD4017 decade counter. So you can rotate the batteries every hour, 12 hours, 24 hours etc. And you can use the Tri-Symmetrical switch framework on 3 solid state oscillators.

You can have all the power/motor windings on the same coil, I have tried this. But there is an issue with the trigger windings all on the same coil. The trigger windings need to have capacitive isolation from each other to prevent false triggering, but there are ways to design around this.
            Last edited by Nityesh Schnaderbeck; 12-10-2014, 01:41 AM.

Comment

Yes...I see that...Brilliant work! I wish more people appreciated the value of elegance in their work...there are so many things out there clip-leaded and breadboarded up...and that’s OK, but when its finished, shouldn't it function well, and look cool besides that? (Again, form plus function equals art)...Was it not Gerald Celente (Trends Journal) who said (paraphrased), "we need to start going out in style..dress up...bring simple elegance into your life...with everything you do, do it with class...this is the beginning of renaissance"

I should like to try a small project using that circuit, if you don't mind. Maybe swap 3 small 5ah lead/acid batteries such as found in solar electric fence chargers--I have one from my first project years ago, that is still in great shape, and 2 more would be easy to get.

My wife has always wanted me to build her a "Bedini style Night Light", so...this would do the trick, and might charge her cell phone, and laptop battery as well....she likes small systems, so this would be a nice gift to her.

James

Comment

Originally posted by Tom C View Post

Tom C
                Hi Niytesh,

I would be wanting to ask the same question as Tom C? Does that hint to Tesla No 3 obsession...Bedini's 3-pole monopole...Tri filar wound SSG coils... transistor its self..
                Rgds,
                Faraday88.
                'Wisdom comes from living out of the knowledge.'

Comment

Working...
                X