No announcement yet.

3D Printing Motor/Generators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

with that picture you just convinced me i need one of these.....moved to top of list!
    gorilla glue is what i use...the crap sticks to dang near anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradley Malone View Post
      with that picture you just convinced me i need one of these.....moved to top of list!
      gorilla glue is what i use...the crap sticks to dang near anything.
      that's what I think too....I just hate the swelling.
      I saw a video, I think, or read about a guy that mixed some vinegar and/or baking soda with gorilla glue and it stopped the swelling but still turns rock hard and sticks. Have to find where I saw that!

edit: actually I think what he did made it go ahead and "pre-swell" so that when applied it wouldn't swell further.

edit: the video wasn't how I remembered so now the question is if you clamp things how do you clean up the swelling overflow? In my case, if clamp the magnet into a slot, how do I do that without gluing my clamp to the whole assembly?
      Last edited by OrthoParameter; 12-23-2014, 04:45 PM.

Comment

i would try using wax paper then a playing card between you clamp and what your glueing (so you don't "permanently" clamp it). i am not absolutley sure of this but worst case you have wax paper stuck to the rotor not the clamp. when i use gorilla glue for mounting things i pour some into something and add a few drops of water and stir like crazy...normally wait about 2-3 minutes letting it rise a little but not all the way. if you let it rise all the way it doesn't stick well. as for the clean up it really isn't bad its just like a tough version of greatstuff foam that you fill cracks in your house with...a sharp knife will cut the stuff right off. so if you put some in the holes then slide in the magnets put wax paper on both sides and something like a card to make sure it "seals" then all the expanding will be kept in the gap. if you don't give it room to expand it will still work and be stronger because all the air bubbles are packed closer because the lack of room.

Comment

Thanks! That is really helpful information!

Comment

honestly ..probably better than that is gorilla super glue...it dires on contact so as soon as you slip the magnets in they would be stuck...you have about a second our two to get them where you want them. just like the expanding stuff it sticks to almost anything. i have mounted all my latest machines rotors and magnets with the super glue gorilla glue.hope this helps.

Comment

cool, I hadn't seen that yet...I'll have to check with Lowe's and try that first.

Comment

will let ya know its kinda wierd stuff...if you put a spec on something and push it against something else it sticks almost instantly but if you hold two things together and drop the glue on it it will take allot longer to stick ...about 5 minutes.

Comment

my first rotor drawn in 123D design from autodesk, imported into repteir- host. this is the screen grab from it after it imports the STL file. Click image for larger version

Name:	rotor.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	46822

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

Awesome stuff Tom! Love this machine...thank you for recommending it. Does everything I need and cost so much less to get started....just a little time investment and voila!

Have you started printing anything with PLA??? Sticks to the build platform really tight, so much more so than ABS. I found the cure though, just like I did for putting the bearings into the sleeves....put the build plate after letting it cool some, into my deep freezer. Then I just give it a good hard jab with the "butter knife" they sent with it...pops right off due to the different thermal expansion coefficient.

Comment

pla is next on my list.... I got a recommendation to start with ABS so I will eat up this spool first just with test prints. it seems pla will serve our purpose better. considering the different colors including clear you can get with pla, it seems worth the effort. I bought a spool from botfeeder when they had a sale, 20 bucks for a spool for new customers. fry's electronics has started selling it here, they are selling makerbots and another companies kit also. their price is 37 per spool and I do not have to pay shipping.

Tom C

Comment

Guess there are pros and cons to everything. I don't like the ABS because of the fumes and it is too cold to open a window because it would screw up the process. ABS is probably dimensionally more stable as PLA supposedly swells with moisture exposure. I haven't noticed any problem with that as of yet but could become an issue down the road. If it will last several months then for prototyping needs it isn't an issue, for me at least. I like the PLA for the lack of toxic fumes...it smells a little sweet like you're cooking cookies. The ABS really caused my wife problems so I stopped using it. I like the PLA except for the sticking issue but like I said, the freezer solves that problem.

Now I'm wishing that I had a double extruder to use with soluble support material. Guess you could call that a form of penis envy!

Comment

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:214536

Tom C

Comment

there ya go....

Comment

After many unavoidable delays, I finally have designed, printed, and built my first motor. I have all the electronics parts and only have to put the driver and recovery sections together. Soon, this puppy will spin.

Comment

@Tom - pm sent.

I have been exceedingly busy and even though I have every component; I haven't found time to solder everything together. I did redesign this motor and reprint due to the magnetic field strength being too strong I think for six magnets so I backed up to four magnets.

I've been dealing with problems resulting from my Mother's worsening dementia... losing her hearing aid is just one of those issues.

I've been collaborating with a friend and creating 3d parts for him.

I've been preparing the garden and working on and replacing parts for my riding mower.

Removed a dying, leaning tree that was threatening fruit and ornamental trees.

I've recently had an epiphany (thanks to Tesla) on the inner workings of the erfinder machine, which I plan on writing up and posting here soon (for those who had shown an interest) , perhaps by tonight I hope.

busy busy busy....I know...no excuse. I really have to be in the mood to put electronics together, but I'll get to it eventually. Necessities first, fun things second, saving the tedious for last...it's my nature.

Comment

Working...
                                X