No announcement yet.

3D Printing Motor/Generators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I am having problems with my designs in autoScad. The .stl files when loaded into the printer are not the same as when rendered inside autoScad. I understand the "dirty" stl file is a common problem.

I uploaded to the online NetFabb "fixer" but to no avail. I downloaded Meshlab as well and OMG the learning curve on applying the correct filters to fix is unbelievable!

I think this is going to be a problem with all parametric modeling software. Not sure what to do. All the 3d modeling software that will work all have a huge learning curve attached to them.

Comment

try Freecad, some people have good luck in sketchup and this one http://fusion360.autodesk.com/pricing... are you using repetier or matter control?

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic....oftware#p54852

Comment

Hi Ortho. Just curious to see what you will come up with. I imagined you printing parts for something 3pm sized , not sure why really. Cool stuff.

al

Originally posted by OrthoParameter View Post
          Hey Allen,
          I think your probably better off with what is already out there with respect to the SG. Don't you need a pretty tall tower to hold a bicycle wheel? I think buying plexiglass is probably cheaper than making towers with a printer.

Shaft collars and Face Mount Shaft collars are already pretty reasonably priced so that won't be a priority.

That said, my first project will be to create bearing holders that can be screwed or bolted onto any kind of support structure, including wood. That would make a support structure cheap indeed! At least that is my thought right now. I could find I am wrong but either way wood or just flat plexiglass, it is a place to start!

Feel free to share any ideas that could be done that is beneficial and I will certainly give it a look-see!

Comment

not sure, capton tape seems to be the easiest. on another note, I saw a guy using an acetone vapor bath to smooth his parts after printing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcXLJRIKGuQ they look really good!!

Tom C

Comment

Originally posted by Tom C View Post
              try Freecad, some people have good luck in sketchup and this one http://fusion360.autodesk.com/pricing... are you using repetier or matter control?

Tom C
              Now I'm really confused! I thought Repetier was firmware running on the Max and MatterControl on my laptop.

Comment

Oh I see now, I do have Repetier firmware but they also have the Repetier Host for the controlling computer.

Comment

i would run your stl file thru repetier host it uses slic3r I think to generate G code. it may give you a better run...

Tom C

Comment

http://www.123dapp.com/design

Comment

Thanks Tom, I just downloaded and will give this a look-see tomorrow.
                      I had already downloaded and tried slic3r exporting g-code and the outcome was identical.

I have found the problem and it was me! In openScad, when subtracting one solid from another, to make a hole in the part; you have to make sure the subtracted object extends past the main object on both sides.

After doing this, MatterControl slicer was able to see and create the layers of the object. The second problem was that the center was not solid and filled with triangles. In the Slicer tab, I saw the infill tab and found that the infill ratio was .2 and selected for triangles.

After fixing my code, and selecting the infill to be concentric and 100%; it is at this moment printing a perfect ring!

If I can extend this success into the larger more complex parts then it is problem solved! I really enjoy the power of openScad.... just have to find it's boundaries and eccentricities.

Comment

Originally posted by Allen R. View Post
                        Hi Ortho. Just curious to see what you will come up with. I imagined you printing parts for something 3pm sized , not sure why really. Cool stuff.

al
                        Allen, not really sure about the 3pm sized reference but this monster can produce large parts. You have to look at the cost benefit. If you can buy something someone else is already manufacturing, you are probably better off. In my case, there are things that I simply have to make and some may be large.

The filament is about $40 per kilogram and this beast pulls about 500 watts of juice. The smallest of parts take about thirty minutes to build while larger parts can run for two days and use two spools of filament....so if you can buy it somewhere else......

I'm having great fun with openscad now that I solved my problems and I should have a bearing mount solution today. I don't know what size the SSG uses but my solution is scalable with a simple change in the input values. I may start with the roller skate bearings that are found everywhere. I've never bought from McMaster Carr but they have it all...right down to the shafts, from miniature on up. Handy source.

Comment

not sure, capton tape seems to be the easiest. on another note, I saw a guy using an acetone vapor bath to smooth his parts after printing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcXLJRIKGuQ they look really good!!

Tom C
                          Acetone vapor smoothing is waaay cool stuff!

I'm now printing from the SD card so I'm not tethered anymore.

On further examination of mattercontrol slicer tab....there is a drop down that allows you to select between matterslicer, cura, and slic3r! I'm doing fine with matter slicer for now but they are there to try at some point.

Edit: actually it is the configuration tab not the slicer tab that has the slicer option drop down box.
                          Last edited by OrthoParameter; 12-18-2014, 05:13 PM.

Comment

This is a little off topic but 3D printing is fast becoming one of my obsessions

Just a small example of the unlimited potential this technology has.

Derby the dog: Running on 3D Printed Prosthetics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRmoowIN8aY

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis J View Post
                              This is a little off topic but 3D printing is fast becoming one of my obsessions

Just a small example of the unlimited potential this technology has.

Derby the dog: Running on 3D Printed Prosthetics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRmoowIN8aY
                              yup, only limit is our imagination.

Comment

prototype of a magnet carrying rotor

Woke up this morning and found this in the cave!

Two hundred millimeter diameter ( ~8 inches ) carries 1/4" cube magnets....on order along with bearings and shaft.
                                Took 5.5 hours to print and cost was only around $4.00....can't beat it!!!

Anyone have experience with making magnets stick to plastic? Since I've never done it, I can only assume and try epoxy or even gorilla glue. Maybe, if I get the clearance right, the magnets can be cooled and slipped into place for a super snug fit? Either way, I have to stay out of the line of fire or make a lexan blast shield.

Comment

Working...
                                X