Running an SSG at 24V input?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running an SSG at 24V input?

Hi All, Newb question here. Is there anything to consider or be careful of if I want to run my SSG at 24V on the input. I just experimented with 24V input and found my input draw doubled and output to a 12V doubled the input i.e. about 2A in and 4A out. Would this run it too hard?

Thanks

Hi Jellior. I often run a wheel at 21v. You can kill transistors really really easy running higher input voltages. You can also smoke a coil easier. You will want to control that input amperage by changing your resistance. Make sure your output connnections are very secure and clean. I cannot stess that enough. Don't connect questionable dead batteries to that machine as a really sulphated or damaged battery will kill your transistor also. Only charge batteries that are known to accept the charge. It is always best to run the SSG at 12v as instructed and it is definitely safer. Many 2n3055s have died to bring you this information.....

al
    Originally posted by jelloir View Post
    Hi All, Newb question here. Is there anything to consider or be careful of if I want to run my SSG at 24V on the input. I just experimented with 24V input and found my input draw doubled and output to a 12V doubled the input i.e. about 2A in and 4A out. Would this run it too hard?

Thanks

Comment

http://www.energyscienceforum.com/sh...ries%2C+advise
      Last edited by aln; 11-28-2014, 01:05 PM.

Comment

I was really suprised by the difference in behavior running at 24V. My 8 power winding SSG turned into an growling super charger! RPM skyrocketed and it started pushing the hell out of a 150AH 12V golf cart battery I was rejuvinating could easily push it to 15.3V I reckon, thankfully this battery is in a half decent condition after reading what Allen posted! The series resistor started heating up so I turned it off and posted this question before I cooked anything. I have 2 SSG's now so I can afford to be a little gung ho.

I have a ton of 8V Trojan's that I'm rejuvinating so next thing I'm doing is 16V input once I have a couple of those useable. I figure this will probably be a nice compromise without pushing the machine to hard.

My other 7 power winding SSG, gets up to 520RPM with 15 magnets on a 20" wheel with 12V input, series resistance is 27ohm and runs at 1.2A, that machine could be an interesting machine to test. But I'd had better check the tape on the magnets before in case it decides to let one loose and launch it into space.

Thanks for the link to that thread, good info aln! I had a laugh watching that video, simply hearing that machine change pitch, awesome.

James

Comment

hey jelloir

we run ours at 19 volt input
          monitor temperature on your transistors while tuning it in

it charges a hell of a lot better then on 12 volt for sure
          but again keep an eye out during tuning
          ours runs with transistors 2 degrees above room temperatur pulling 3 amps on 3 coils
          but you have no room for error in case of bad contacts on the charge side
          the neons cant handle it. they burn right away and so does the transistor

regards
          stephan

Comment

Working...
          X