2019 ESTC ALL SEATS SOLD OUT!
PRE-REGISTER FOR THE
2020 ENERGY CONFERENCE

Monero XMR

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PCV Modification with Vapor Separation

Networking Architect Aaron Murakami's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Ok - cool! Post a diagram if you can of whatever you wind up doing. Could help someone with the same setup.
    Aaron Murakami

You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete. ― Richard Buckminster Fuller

There is a very simple way to know how much vacuum there is in our engines and I don't know why Aaron didn't mention that. It's called vacuum gauge. Every engine in good order has an intake manifold vacuum AT IDLE of 17-22 inches of mercury (inHg). So anyone can measure what vacuum gain he gets by plugging the PCV pipe to intake manifold.

But the real problems Aaron doesn't see (or deliberately omits) are these:

- all vacuum is depleted rapidly the moment we push the accelerator, because the throttle valve opens and thus atmospheric pressure 'rushes in' equalizing manifold pressure
    - we need a MUCH higher vacuum to vaporize fuel at room temperature, much higher than any normally aspirated engine can achieve eventually ONLY AT IDLE.

So my opinion is we might get some minor fuel economy only when idling, but sadly we don't idle too much...

But the real problems Aaron doesn't see (or deliberately omits) are these:

- all vacuum is depleted rapidly the moment we push the accelerator, because the throttle valve opens and thus atmospheric pressure 'rushes in' equalizing manifold pressure
    - we need a MUCH higher vacuum to vaporize fuel at room temperature, much higher than any normally aspirated engine can achieve eventually ONLY AT IDLE.

So my opinion is we might get some minor fuel economy only when idling, but sadly we don't idle too much...[/QUOTE]

Actually not true my vacuum stays very high most of the time unless I really push on the throttle very hard. You loose some of the vacuum but never all of it. Unless you floor it.

Networking Architect Aaron Murakami's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Aaron Murakami

You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete. ― Richard Buckminster Fuller