2019 ESTC ALL SEATS SOLD OUT!
PRE-REGISTER FOR THE
2020 ENERGY CONFERENCE

Monero XMR

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PCV Modification with Vapor Separation

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl Hansen View Post
    I'm using a commercial product: EcoIgnition - Earth friendly performance

You could build it yourself using Aaron's Ignition Secrets as a guide: Ignition Secrets by Aaron Murakami | Plasma Ignition

I'm just lazy
    haha thanks! I will check into Aaron's guide.
    http://lightcoalition.org/ my site for Walter Russell info...wip

Hi Aaron, How do you handle the vacuum, or lack thereof, that your brake booster needs to operate with if you perform this mod?

I also have the gadgetman groove and it indeed does work and quite well. No real gains in economy, but sure made a difference in the responsiveness of my truck and maybe even some slight power gains at low throttle positions.

Mark

Networking Architect Aaron Murakami's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mark,

The vacuum for the brakes should actually be higher and the brakes should work better. Not sure if you can tell the difference, but the brake vacuum would be increased too.
    Aaron Murakami

You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete. ― Richard Buckminster Fuller

brake booster vacuum

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Murakami View Post
    Mark,

The vacuum for the brakes should actually be higher and the brakes should work better. Not sure if you can tell the difference, but the brake vacuum would be increased too.
    If I am following you Aaron, are you saying then I would not cap the vacuum at the pvc port, but just plumb it to the booster and call it done? Because I can't see how the booster will function w/o being connected to a vacuum source and I don't want to go to a vacuum pump arrangement.

Blog Entries
    Mark, the only thing you would do is the PCV modification.

The brake booster and everything else still is connected to the vacuum - you haven't even touched those.

The vacuum of the entire system is increased by just doing the PCV modification. Therefore, since the brake booster is still connected to the vacuum system and the vacuum is increased, the brake vacuum should be increased and the brakes should work better.

On another topic, you mention a vacuum pump arrangement, that is something that probably could be done too. If virtually every vacuum driven item in the car was operating from an electric vacuum pump, we would be able to get maximum vacuum in the engine - would be interesting to see how strong of a vacuum we could make going that route.
    Aaron Murakami

You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete. ― Richard Buckminster Fuller

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Murakami View Post
    Mark, the only thing you would do is the PCV modification.

The brake booster and everything else still is connected to the vacuum - you haven't even touched those.

The vacuum of the entire system is increased by just doing the PCV modification. Therefore, since the brake booster is still connected to the vacuum system and the vacuum is increased, the brake vacuum should be increased and the brakes should work better.

On another topic, you mention a vacuum pump arrangement, that is something that probably could be done too. If virtually every vacuum driven item in the car was operating from an electric vacuum pump, we would be able to get maximum vacuum in the engine - would be interesting to see how strong of a vacuum we could make going that route.
    Thanks Aaron,

I get what you are trying to illustrate, the concept is simple enough. But on my 20 year old truck, the booster is connected to the PVC, and to no other source of vacuum. I have not worked on any car that was different than this, but I am not a automotive mechanic/technician.

Yes, I did initially think of an vacuum pump as I was reading the whole thread as some race cars do this to eliminate drag and thus reduce HP loss in racing applications from crank driven components. I gained a noticeable amount of power removing the fan clutch and went to a e-fan for a daily driven vehicle example.

Blog Entries
    Ok - on my car and my friend's cars, the blow-by is directly connected to the PCV valve and that is it. All the other vacuum lines are connected to other parts of the manifold I believe.
    Aaron Murakami

Well, now we are getting somewhere. I do have on one bank of my v-6 where the blow by is vented to the intake piping. On the PCV valve a line goes to the vacuum booster and another to the intake tree, that controls heater functions and cruise control etc. So, this vacuum system is still being used, just accessed in a different way from yours, with the same effect. Knowing this then, how does this affect how we go about performing this mod as I am a bit confused now.

Blog Entries
    On my car for example, the blow-by goes to a Y splitter. One side went to the PCV on the manifold and the other side went to the intake like yours (before the throttle body of course).
    So I just plugged the manifold and plugged the tube from the Y splitter that went to the PCV. So the blow-by only has one exit and that is to the intake air box.

If you have the booster going straight to the PCV, I wouldn't do anything to it unless you knew more about the whole setup.

I really haven't seen those setups. Being that the PCV is a one way valve that only opens in the direction towards the manifold in order to suck the blow-by into it, I'm not sure why any booster or anything else would be connected to it.

Also, PCV's fail because of gunk building up, etc... and if a brake booster relied on vacuum from the PCV, that would be a serious safety hazard if suddenly your booster had no vacuum due to a clogged PCV. Would not be a fun surprise. I doubt any auto manufacturer would use the PCV for anything other than simply sucking the blow-by into it. I'm not an auto tech either but this is my best guess so far.
    Aaron Murakami

Got it Aaron!
    I think I know what to do now. You description was clear and coupled with your initial post descriptions, I think I can make it work. We are talking about the same thing in different ways...different perspectives. I play around with my truck and do some testing and see what happens.
    Thanks for taking the time to share and clarify...I love this kind of stuff!