8V battery on a 12V charger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8V battery on a 12V charger?

James I was trying to answer your question and I edited your post... sorry. you had asked about 8 volt batteries on a 10A12 I will answer below, sorry about this

Tom C
    Last edited by Tom C; 10-24-2014, 11:53 PM.

Where did you find them? I have been calling around here in Indy, and owners keep telling me that I can't have their old batteries. They say they trade them in for money, which has varied from $8 to $15 depending on who I talk to. I even offered a couple dollars more and have been turned down at every turn. I even called the local smelter that melts the lead acid batteries down. They said I couldn't have any because they need all they can get to keep the smelters running.

Working on a lead for a cell phone tower bank...but this is a lot harder than I thought.

Originally posted by jelloir View Post
    I have access to a large amount of second hand 8V 170AH Trojan batteries for rejuvenation. Could I use a 10A12 Tesla Charger as long as I carefully monitor the charge with a CBAIV?

I hope to rejuvenate enough to put them into a 24V bank for a TST5 based solar system.

Thanks

James

Comment

Hi Branch,

I live around loads of Golf Courses south of Melbourne in Aus. I looked for mechanics that service golf carts and found a guy locally and went and introduced myself. Every few months he builds up stock of old batteries (6, 8 and 12) but goes through heaps more 8V as he replaces them with new 12V he reckons. Doesn't see many 6V anymore.

He usually gets paid $15 a battery from the recyclers, so I offered him the same and told him about the rejuvenation process, SSG's etc. which he was interested in and like the idea of recycling them this way. So he knows to keep them for me. I popped in there the other day and he has over 20 8V for me! I figure the ones I cannot salvage I on sell to the recyclers myself and get my money back.

Most of them are in ok good condition and are resting anywhere from 8 to 8.3 volts. Some have a bit of a bulge on each end indicating overheating during charge, I have one like that on my SSG at the moment and it's seems to be coming good but early days yet.

James

Comment

Originally posted by Branch Gordon View Post
        Where did you find them? I have been calling around here in Indy, and owners keep telling me that I can't have their old batteries. They say they trade them in for money, which has varied from $8 to $15 depending on who I talk to. I even offered a couple dollars more and have been turned down at every turn. I even called the local smelter that melts the lead acid batteries down. They said I couldn't have any because they need all they can get to keep the smelters running.

Working on a lead for a cell phone tower bank...but this is a lot harder than I thought.

I put an add on craigslist last spring and got lots of boat and car batteries, and a couple golf cart: paid a couple more dollars than scrap prices.
        Aln

Comment

Branch,

Here is what I did when I was looking for batteries.

Went in person and spoke to them. Don''t use the phone.
          Wore shirt, tie, dress pants, shiny shoes.
          Told them I was doing a research project involving batteries. If they pressed me about it I told them it was a green energy project looking at battery rejuvenation.
          Always offer to buy the batteries. If they offer them free after that, then bonus.
          Put on a big smile

One of my visits to a golf club took me about 5 minutes for the guy to understand I wanted to buy batteries not sell them, hehe.

Anyway I reckon face to face goes a long way to influence them in your favour.

Hope that helps.

James
          Last edited by jelloir; 10-24-2014, 11:23 PM.

Comment

James,

here is the answer to your question, sorry about that!!

the charger has a threshold voltage, I do not know if it will even come on at 8 volts, I know mine does not come on at 6. you could put 2 in series for 16, it would shut off at 15.3 so you would not get them fully charged. you need 2 volts or so above 8 for each battery so you would need about 19 volts for a pair in series.

the SG really is the best bet for rejuvenation.

Tom c
            Last edited by Tom C; 10-24-2014, 11:56 PM.

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

I put my 2A12 on it and it started charging, so figured the 10A12 might as well.

Do you know if JB/Energenx do custom chargers? Given I have access to so many 8V batteries it may be worthwhile for me to invest in a custom Energenx 8V charger. If it had 2 modes for 8V and 12V that would be perfect.

Else I will build a another SSG but need to know if Solid State or Rotor is better for rejuvenation.

Thanks Tom, no problem about the post.

Comment

James,

JB has done custom work for Teslagenx before before, the biggest concern is finding the transformer that will work for your primary and secondary voltage. Australia is 220V 60 Hz? I will call and ask. another option is to run at 24 with 3 batteries in series, that may be an easier job to have done, its all about the transformer, and winding them custom is very expensive. there is a transformer company down the street from here, I had a couple of single filar coils specc'ed a while back for a special project, they wanted 220 dollars each!! needles to say I passed

Tom C
                Last edited by Tom C; 10-25-2014, 10:35 AM. Reason: clarification

Comment

James,

JB says he thinks he can do one, I will get pricing for you send me an email at sales@teslagenx.com

Tom C

Comment

Great! Thanks Tom, email sent.

Comment

Originally posted by Branch Gordon View Post
                      Branch - http://energyscienceforum.com/bigbatteries/

Make me a wild offer if you're interested. Just pm me.
                      Aaron Murakami

You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.” ― Richard Buckminster Fuller

Comment

Hey man...that helps a ton. I have been calling places without success.

Cheers!

Originally posted by jelloir View Post
                        Branch,

Here is what I did when I was looking for batteries.

Went in person and spoke to them. Don''t use the phone.
                        Wore shirt, tie, dress pants, shiny shoes.
                        Told them I was doing a research project involving batteries. If they pressed me about it I told them it was a green energy project looking at battery rejuvenation.
                        Always offer to buy the batteries. If they offer them free after that, then bonus.
                        Put on a big smile

One of my visits to a golf club took me about 5 minutes for the guy to understand I wanted to buy batteries not sell them, hehe.

Anyway I reckon face to face goes a long way to influence them in your favour.

Hope that helps.

James

Comment

Working...
                        X