Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about gel cells and discharge voltage

Hello I want to ask something:

In the past when I had my solid state SG I was doing a lot of charge discharge cycles with one 12v 4ah gel cell battery.

I don't know actually if it was gel cell, but it said sealed lead acid battery, brand CASIL.

The thing is that last night I was visiting one more time johnbeidni.net, and looking at the TUV tests I saw that he was using small gel cells, and he was discharging them until 10v ...

So my question is: for a completely charged 12v 4ah battery where the discharge curve ends? at 10 volts? I thought that the minimum was 12v.

howdy!

as far as I know the max you would want to take a 12V bat down to is 10.5 and it is completely charged at around 15V

Comment

the TUV test was a special test done to show completely dead batteries each time, wringing all the juice out of them. it is not good for a regular lead acid or gel cell to be dragged that low. look at the chart about halfway down this page: http://www.batterystuff.com/kb/artic...ry-basics.html 11.9 is completely dead. these are just "standard numbers" it varies a bit by manufacturer, type of battery and its design criteria. a deep cycle has different parameters than a starting battery or a battery used in ups or alarm systems.

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

Originally posted by Tom C View Post
        the TUV test was a special test done to show completely dead batteries each time, wringing all the juice out of them. it is not good for a regular lead acid or gel cell to be dragged that low. look at the chart about halfway down this page: http://www.batterystuff.com/kb/artic...ry-basics.html 11.9 is completely dead. these are just "standard numbers" it varies a bit by manufacturer, type of battery and its design criteria. a deep cycle has different parameters than a starting battery or a battery used in ups or alarm systems.

Tom C
        Tnx Tom, by the way, can I ask something?

I don't know if you can give me the answer or is private or something... but, do you know what was the modifications on the SG of the TUV tests? because it says: highly modified SG.

best,

Alvaro

Comment

I do not know....

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

Originally posted by AlvaroHN View Post
            Tnx Tom, by the way, can I ask something?

I don't know if you can give me the answer or is private or something... but, do you know what was the modifications on the SG of the TUV tests? because it says: highly modified SG.

best,

Alvaro
            Hi Alvaro,

Just my guess: The SSG can be wired in several iterations, the one depicted in the Patent with the trifilar coil is shown with all the embodiment that it consist of, it is an easy guess to call it as 'Highly Modified' to represent one of the Iteration which reveals the working for the sake of the testimonials..
            Rgds,
            Faraday88.
            'Wisdom comes from living out of the knowledge.'

Comment

You mean trifilar with cap dump? I read somewhere, John beidni saying that there were 4 variations of SSG, 1- SG with no charge batt, 2- normal SSG charging batt with direct radiant spike, 3 - cap dump, and 4th he said he was going to explain it later and maybe make a video, but didn't find any more info regarding that 4th method.

best,

Alvaro

Comment

Working...
              X