Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John_Koorn View Post
    Hey Les,

Here's a sneak peek of the large comparator that will be available to order from www.teslagenx.com shortly.

John K.
    Thank you John,
    This is really cool. I am so glad to see this stuff coming out. I understand the comparator dump pretty well, but not the tesla switch. Is the Tesla switch going to be available soon as well? and can you describe some of the differences/Advantages/Disadvantages etc. between the two?

Thanks again John K. Awesome!
    Les

Comment

Happy new year to all,
      John K. can you show us some scopeshoots from the superpol bikewheel,please.
      Thank you very much.

Comment

John, I am getting ready to build a 1000AH battery bank from batteries that I will recover from the recycle folks. What voltage inverter should I get to use with these dissimilar batteries? Is 12V, 24V, 36V, 48V, or higher the best way to go?

Thanks for your help!
        Tony
        I believe in the Way, the Truth, and the Life.

Comment

Originally posted by LesK View Post
          Thank you John,
          This is really cool. I am so glad to see this stuff coming out. I understand the comparator dump pretty well, but not the tesla switch. Is the Tesla switch going to be available soon as well? and can you describe some of the differences/Advantages/Disadvantages etc. between the two?

Thanks again John K. Awesome!
          Les
          Hi Les,

We are still working on the Tesla switch but right now our focus is on getting products out that are ready to go into production. At this stage the Tesla switch is not as ready as some of the other products.

The main difference between the comparator cap dump and the Tesla Switch is that the Tesla Switch is essentially a voltage doubler. The advantage is that it can charge batteries where the source voltage is lower than the battery voltage, which is very convenient with low light solar or low wind. As you already know, the comparator works extremely well when the source voltage is higher than the battery voltage.

The comparator you see in the video will not ship with the large heat sink and the fan. It is not necessary when using the 10 coiler as the input as it only dumps about 3 times per second and the devices can handle that easily. I only had the heat sink and fan on it because I was testing it with a 24V solar panel as the input, where in full sun it was dumping about 10 times per second and the devices where getting pretty warm and I did not want to risk blowing them out as it's the only prototype I have.

We ran the same comparator at JB's shop on the bike wheel kit and it worked great also. It also worked great on my super pole bike wheel setup. There will also be a small comparator and a medium sized one.

John K.

Comment

Originally posted by forelle View Post
            Happy new year to all,
            John K. can you show us some scopeshoots from the superpol bikewheel,please.
            Thank you very much.
            Hi forelle,

Sure, do you want scope shots of the "h" wave or something else?

John K.

Comment

Originally posted by fathershand View Post
              John, I am getting ready to build a 1000AH battery bank from batteries that I will recover from the recycle folks. What voltage inverter should I get to use with these dissimilar batteries? Is 12V, 24V, 36V, 48V, or higher the best way to go?

Thanks for your help!
              Tony
              Hi Tony,

Sorry, but I'm no expert on inverters. Perhaps someone else knows or you could research on the Internet?

John K.

Comment

Originally posted by fathershand View Post

Thanks for your help!
                Tony
                Hi Tony,

No, Im not an expert but I can give you some basic advice.

The word "dissimilar" as used above, to me, would imply various batteries (different brands/different SOC or condition/different sizes/different quality) compiled to make a large bank. This is far from ideal because you only need one bad battery in a string to make the whole string slump. I would suggest that higher bank voltages is better, but once again, one bad battery in a 48v string and its useless, at 48v anyway. And if you buy a 48v inverter then it will probably not function below a certain cut off voltage.

Your best bet would be to try and get as many batteries as possible that are as close in spec and condition as possible. Very hard to do with recycled batteries. For inverters, look for a quality pure sinewave inverter. Smaller inverters (less than 1000w) will draw less on idle than larger ones. You need to figure out what you will run with them. Fridges? Heaters? Laptops? Lighting? Power tools? Inductive loads can be problematic for some inverters too.

@ John Koorn.

Glad to see that comparator kit coming out, will go nicely on a cap pulsing unit I have here. Cant wait

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by John_Koorn View Post
                  Hi Les,

We are still working on the Tesla switch but right now our focus is on getting products out that are ready to go into production. At this stage the Tesla switch is not as ready as some of the other products.

The main difference between the comparator cap dump and the Tesla Switch is that the Tesla Switch is essentially a voltage doubler. The advantage is that it can charge batteries where the source voltage is lower than the battery voltage, which is very convenient with low light solar or low wind. As you already know, the comparator works extremely well when the source voltage is higher than the battery voltage.

The comparator you see in the video will not ship with the large heat sink and the fan. It is not necessary when using the 10 coiler as the input as it only dumps about 3 times per second and the devices can handle that easily. I only had the heat sink and fan on it because I was testing it with a 24V solar panel as the input, where in full sun it was dumping about 10 times per second and the devices where getting pretty warm and I did not want to risk blowing them out as it's the only prototype I have.

We ran the same comparator at JB's shop on the bike wheel kit and it worked great also. It also worked great on my super pole bike wheel setup. There will also be a small comparator and a medium sized one.

John K.
                  Thanks John,
                  Very helpful. I have some concerns with my comparator version in that to many amps even though pulsed can be hard on deep cycle batteries. I have had better results with car batteries when I start getting very high current pulses. I have also noticed with my ferris wheel and a 75,000 uf cap I get about 2 to 3 dumps per second with 1.2 amps @24 volts going in. I would have thought the ten coil would require much larger caps than what appear in your photo.

But here is another thing I was wondering about in relation to all this. I understand my telsa solar tracker III (20amp) can have the inverter hooked to the batteries without ruining it.
                  I know that anytime I have tried to charge and discharge at the same time I destroy batteries. Yet as I understand it I can run my inverter while the Tracker is running without problems.
                  If this is correct, Can the comparator circuit do the same thing?

Thanks Again John K.
                  Les

Comment

Originally posted by LesK View Post
                    Thanks John,
                    Very helpful. I have some concerns with my comparator version in that to many amps even though pulsed can be hard on deep cycle batteries. I have had better results with car batteries when I start getting very high current pulses. I have also noticed with my ferris wheel and a 75,000 uf cap I get about 2 to 3 dumps per second with 1.2 amps @24 volts going in. I would have thought the ten coil would require much larger caps than what appear in your photo.

But here is another thing I was wondering about in relation to all this. I understand my telsa solar tracker III (20amp) can have the inverter hooked to the batteries without ruining it.
                    I know that anytime I have tried to charge and discharge at the same time I destroy batteries. Yet as I understand it I can run my inverter while the Tracker is running without problems.
                    If this is correct, Can the comparator circuit do the same thing?

Thanks Again John K.
                    Les
                    Hi Les,

The Tesla Solar Tracker uses completely different technology then the comparator circuit, so it can safely be used with an inverter.

Since the comparator circuit dumps at a higher voltage into the battery; if you were to connect the inverter to the battery, you run the possibility of exceeding the input specs on the inverter. To be safe, I would not use the comparator circuit while my inverter was connected to the battery.

Erik

Comment

• Thanks, Ren, for the info.
                      Tony
                      I believe in the Way, the Truth, and the Life.

Comment

• Originally posted by ErikN View Post
                        Hi Les,

The Tesla Solar Tracker uses completely different technology then the comparator circuit, so it can safely be used with an inverter.

Since the comparator circuit dumps at a higher voltage into the battery; if you were to connect the inverter to the battery, you run the possibility of exceeding the input specs on the inverter. To be safe, I would not use the comparator circuit while my inverter was connected to the battery.

Erik
                        Hi Erik,
                        Yes, The difference is precisely why I was wanting the Tesla Switch on my six coil over the comparator.... The comparator is a far better device to be used in feeding some of the energy back to the input.
                        Still, My questions are not answered yet, but if both devices become available shortly it really won't matter......

Thanks
                        Les

Just a quick add...
                        What I am talking about when I say Tesla switch is wrong... I really mean a form of the tracker that could be connected to the SSG.
                        Last edited by LesK; 01-01-2013, 10:38 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

• Hi Everyone Happy New year

I've been trying to keep up with all the posts lots of info all good, just so I've got this right in my head there is a, cap dump,comparator cap dump,Tesla Switch.

Can anyone of these be used with the other, for example using the Tesla Switch, and then off the Tesla Switch using the comparator cap dump to charge a bank of batteries, is that a good idea or could one damage the batteries.

George N.

Comment

• Originally posted by John_Koorn View Post
                            Hi forelle,

Sure, do you want scope shots of the "h" wave or something else?

John K.
                            Hi John K.
                            The h-wave from C to E,but if you have time you can also show the charging side.
                            Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by John_Koorn View Post
                              Hey Les,

Here's a sneak peek of the large comparator that will be available to order from www.teslagenx.com shortly.
                              <br>

John K.
                              Hi John K.
                              You talk about that there is a 100 amp pulse,i thought the SSG charges only with potential,or a very small amount of ampere.
                              Last edited by John_Koorn; 01-02-2013, 02:56 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by LesK View Post
                                Hi Erik,
                                Yes, The difference is precisely why I was wanting the Tesla Switch on my six coil over the comparator.... The comparator is a far better device to be used in feeding some of the energy back to the input.
                                Still, My questions are not answered yet, but if both devices become available shortly it really won't matter......

Thanks
                                Les

Just a quick add...
                                What I am talking about when I say Tesla switch is wrong... I really mean a form of the tracker that could be connected to the SSG.
                                Hi Les,

That's exactly what the comparator cap dump does (Tom C and I nick-named it the "flux capacitor" comparator ). Anyway, the way it works is that when the threshold voltage is reached, which is adjustable, the caps dump to the charge battery.

So in effect it is a tracker that is designed for an SG output that also is self-regulating to the load. I've done numerous tests on different batteries, in various condition and the comparator will always regulate itself to the impedance of the battery.

It is one heck of a battery rejuvenator, the best I have tested yet!

John K.

Comment

Working...
                                X