John K's Superpole Bike Wheel SSG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey bro d,

I'm running 470 ohm base resistors on my SP bike wheel, but only one coil. You'll probably find that you have to lower the base resistors as you add coils so I would buy 100 each of 470, 330, 220, 100, 47 and 10 ohms. That will give you enough to series or parallel resistors as you need to.

John K.

Comment

• Hi All,
      Finished machining a wooden frame where all relationships are indexed from a .75" center hole.

Machined a new shaft with .5" bearings and a 1" knurled section.

Made the gap on the one coil larger and it is starting and running well on 12v batt.

610rpm. 9.8" SP rotor.

If it takes about 40 transistors to find 7 matches then somebody please tell me that I don't need 200 to find 35!!!

bro d

Comment

• Originally posted by brodonh View Post
        Hi All,
        Finished machining a wooden frame where all relationships are indexed from a .75" center hole.

Machined a new shaft with .5" bearings and a 1" knurled section.

Made the gap on the one coil larger and it is starting and running well on 12v batt.

610rpm. 9.8" SP rotor.

If it takes about 40 transistors to find 7 matches then somebody please tell me that I don't need 200 to find 35!!!

bro d

Hi All,

Got 43 tranny's that match.

Still running with one coil, she's up to 685rpm on 12v batt. .8A.

Sending 3.25A pulses to charge batt. About 1.5sec between pulses.

Got to work out the cct boards that i'll be etching for all five coils and also get a comparator cct working. with BIGG wires.

My wife's got me tied up with building a chicken coop.

Keepin' on.

bro d

Comment

• Hi all, here's a vid on my "pimped" Superpole Bike Wheel SSG (Now with more "Superpole" and some other bits.)

John K.

Comment

• Hi John K.
            yesterday i have ordered a 2A12 from Teslachargers and my question is is this a different company than Teslagenex?Is it normal that it takes some weeks to ship?
            Thanks

Comment

• yes we are different than tesla chargers. That is Aaron murakami and Peter Lindeman. shipping times depend upon stock, all of the chargers are built to order at the factory.

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

• damn thats a nice superpole.... im guessing you were able to put the magnets so close because of the superpole configuration?? very good speed a for wheel that big..... for a superpole this well built are you seeing better efficiencies than a regular magnet setup???

are you noticing a better cop with the comparator vs without??? does it run better when dumping at higher voltages? say 50-100v

also you tried any genny coils on that thing? probably not to bad torque on a wheel that big

Comment

• Hi Brodie,

Thanks. Yes, I am able to place the magnets close together because of the superpole configuration. I am experimenting with what effect the stronger scalar South pole will have on the COP.
                  I haven't yet done a free spin test yet, but with half the magnets it was about 28 minutes. So I expect it to be nearly double. Even though it sounds very noisy, it has pretty good original bearings in it.
                  The superpole magnet config has been known to be more efficient and have a higher COP than the normal magnet config but I haven't started COP yet.

We already proved in John's shop that with the comparator it will give a COP>1.0 even with the normal magnet config, so I don't expect that this will be any worse.

There is not much point in dumping at higher voltages, double the battery voltage is all you need. Any higher and there are losses in heating up the devices. There's also a chance that you could damage the battery at higher voltages. Even dumping at 25v with a 100 amp pulse is a 2.5kW pulse could be risky on a junk battery.

I don't plan on adding any generator coils at this stage as the superpoles aren't very good for that. At some point I'd like to replace the bike wheel bearings with a shaft and roller bearings so I can put a fan on the shaft, but that would mean a new rotor. This rotor has a bit of a wobble in it and the magnets aren't spaced perfectly either.

John K.

Comment

• Hi John,
                    Great video man! I'm jealous of all your test equipment ;-)

It's really nice to see you posting as a builder again.

Comment

• after seeing this i made a small hard drive rotor to test how well it works and was impressed, the disk spins on only 60ma, with 2 pairs of magnets, the pulse on the coil is much shorter. I need to make a new larger rotor, i have a 10 inch kids bike wheel should i go with the super-pole on that? are there any drawbacks?
                      Nice setup you have there John

Comment

• Very nice! love the white.

you left me wanting more...

I would love to see a 3 line graph - one that I have been too lazy to make myself.
                        the slow speed increase of your wheel might make it easier to do than any of mine.
                        three things:
                        1. amp draw / time
                        2. magnet pulses per cap dump / time
                        3. cap dump pulses / time

I'm most curious to see how 2 and 3 relate and how 1 is affected by their relationship if at all... and, to know when on the graph it drops to 1 pulse. So I guess 4 things.
                        Thanks for the inspiration...
                        sincerely,
                        Patrick

Originally posted by John_Koorn View Post
                        Hi all, here's a vid on my "pimped" Superpole Bike Wheel SSG (Now with more "Superpole" and some other bits.)

John K.

Comment

• Thanks Patrick,

Should be able to do that without too much trouble. Will see what I can do.

John K.

Comment

• Hi JK,
                            That's a great presentation.. I really dig your White SG, inspired by 2001 space odyssey I believe
                            One thing caught my eye thau, That DC current probe. Is it actually correct to measure the voltage induced by a voltage spike and equate that to a corresponding current spike? My feeling is that you could be using that tool outside its intended application...but then again what do I know?
                            Otherwise kudos..thanks for sharing
                            NoFear.

Comment

• Hi Nofear, actually I've never seen 2001 Space Odyssey. The White was inspired by a tin of paint I had lying around

On the DC current probe, that's what it's designed to do which is detect the current traveling along a wire. I'm not measuring the voltage of a voltage spike, I'm measuring the spike of current when the capacitor is discharged into the charge battery.

On the analog DC volt panel meter we could see that the voltage of the capacitor when it dumped was about 25v.

If however I was to place the DC current probe on the wire between the SG and the comparator, then yes you are right, I would not be seeing much on the scope as the spikes are high voltage and low current.

John K.

Comment

• Hi guys,

Out of interest I just ran a free-spin test, without the coil mounted.

53 minutes

John K.

Comment

Working...
                                X