No announcement yet.

Branch's NEW Solid State SG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it ok for a big battery like this to charge in small chunks over a period of two weeks?

Comment

the cpd mod schematic you posted works amazing, mine doesnt use a bridge though just diodes like normal.... also i have a 100 ohm resistor(20w) connected to to pot so it cant go lower than 100 ohms... my pot personally gets pretty warm (5w) so a rheostat might be nice to use if you have pot burning out troubles

Comment

Thanks Brodie! My cap arrived yesterday...and I think I'm gonna buy a rheostat like you are suggesting.

Originally posted by Brodie Gwilliam View Post
        the cpd mod schematic you posted works amazing, mine doesnt use a bridge though just diodes like normal.... also i have a 100 ohm resistor(20w) connected to to pot so it cant go lower than 100 ohms... my pot personally gets pretty warm (5w) so a rheostat might be nice to use if you have pot burning out troubles

Comment

I'm looking to build another SSSG, but really beefed up. My current board runs great off of my 45 watts of solar, but it's just taking WAY too long to effectively charge up my 225AH battery, let alone a larger bank. I want to build a board that can handle 30-40 amps.

I'm looking for suggestions on components and wiring. Obviously I will need thick wire. I looked up the specs on the transistors and they seem to be able to handle a lot of current. I don't want to use a cap dump or anything...just straight radiant. CPD mod.

Alternatively, I've considered using my solar tracker to charge up a big lead alum converted battery, and then using that to charge up a large bank, considering they are supposed to last a lot longer running oscillator circuits.

Would love to hear your suggestions/ideas.

Comment

I've noticed some interesting things on my scope while running my SSSG. Thought I would share via video. Check it out:

Comment

Wow! That IS unusual...kinda looks cool...absolutely do not know what to tell you, though...

James
              Best Regards ~ James, Somewhere In Idaho

Comment

Gordon,
                this is pretty standard h type impulse , this is what you get when you run typical ssg, i like the amount of impulses its strong.
                Which values of resistance do you use in your curcuit, how much amps you spent to run it ?

Comment

Hey BEDINSSGUKRAINE,

Well the point of the video wasn't to show a standard impulse, but to show the anomoly I am seeing at certain tunings. Watch the video again. The impulses begin to fire in a wave like pattern.

I believe I used 100 ohms on the base resistors. Then I have a 2Kohm POT and a 1 Megaohm POT in series for fine tuning. I'm not sure where I have it tuned right now honestly...I kinda tuned it by listening to the coil...I know now kinda what frequency I need for what size battery.

I can hook up a meter tonight if you are really curious.

Originally posted by BEDINSSGUKRAINE View Post
                  Gordon,
                  this is pretty standard h type impulse , this is what you get when you run typical ssg, i like the amount of impulses its strong.
                  Which values of resistance do you use in your curcuit, how much amps you spent to run it ?

Comment

Hey Branch,

We chatted about this a bit awhile ago and I think we both said at the end that we had no idea lol. I have an idea but I don't know that it is correct.

What it could be is that at certain frequencies you are getting a cross induction back into the trigger winding from the power winding. That might explain the amplitude variance in those waves, because some are the true triggering and the smaller ones are less force on the base because they are inducted therefor the B/E is more restricted. Sort of a ghost echo if you will of the primary wave tickling the base again from induction. One way to find out would be to run the trigger on a separate coil which is away from the power winding.

Comment

Working...
                    X