Quick hall effect sensor + mosfet conversion to sg wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick hall effect sensor + mosfet conversion to sg wheel

decided to try out hall switching before my next build so i grabbed the junk box and pulled apart some fans and got the hall sensor out and connected them to a mosfet driving an SG bike wheel.
    seems to work as i expected, needs an astable, pulse width is quite long, charging seems good but the battery is pretty dry and sulphated.

http://vid936.photobucket.com/albums...ps223c2aff.mp4

Thanks for sharing

Have you schematic ?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	mosfet sg.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	46482

it needs a timer to change the pulse width, and an opto isolator if you are going to run higher than 12 - 14v

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	mosfet sg monostable.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	46484

circuit i will build next. one with resistors before holding pin 2 high is correct
        Attached Files
        Last edited by bigmotherwhale; 09-02-2014, 02:38 AM.

Comment

Thank you for your time

Comment

Hi BMW,

Originally posted by bigmotherwhale View Post
            decided to try out hall switching before my next build so i grabbed the junk box and pulled apart some fans and got the hall sensor out and connected them to a mosfet driving an SG bike wheel.
            seems to work as i expected, needs an astable, pulse width is quite long, charging seems good but the battery is pretty dry and sulphated.
            I rigged mine up with two hall switches in series on separate adjustable mountings. This allows me to adjust both the timing and pulse width mechanically without using a 555 timer circuit. It seems to work best at about 20 percent on time. I use a small signal transistor in the base circuit of the 21194 power transistors.
            Last edited by Gary Hammond; 08-22-2018, 01:52 PM. Reason: change percent sign to word

Comment

good idea, also using 21194 seems like a good plan, i will see how long my mosfets hold up.

Comment

Any chance that some one could post the bedini SG schematic with a hall switch substituted for the trigger wire, I would like to see the difference but don't quite know how to do that.

[QUOTE=Gary Hammond;16842]Hi BMW,

Originally posted by bigmotherwhale View Post

QUOTE]

I rigged mine up with two hall switches in series on separate adjustable mountings. This allows me to adjust both the timing and pulse width mechanically without using a 555 timer circuit. It seems to work best at about 20 percent on time. I use a small signal transistor in the base circuit of the 21194 power transistors.

Comment

Hi Brian,

Give me a few days and I can post a schematic of what I did. I'm currently away from home on a mini vacation and posting this from a motel room using my wife's laptop.

cheers,

Comment

Thank you, hope you have a nice vac.

Originally posted by Gary Hammond View Post
                    Hi Brian,

Give me a few days and I can post a schematic of what I did. I'm currently away from home on a mini vacation and posting this from a motel room using my wife's laptop.

cheers,

Comment

the monostable circuit is useless, the input pulse duration affects the output pulse duration, back to the drawing board

Comment

problem solved, mosfet isolation driver stage next.http://vid936.photobucket.com/albums...ps3cc1ee71.mp4

Comment

sucess, variable pulse width and timing, mosfet driven simply from optocoupler but not yet ready for high voltages, it produces the biggest spikes, and i cant dampen them enough with a battery to stop the neon protection on the mosfet from staying on, without the battery the neon is not yellow but bright blue / white.
                          the wheel spins a reasonable speed with a very small duty cycle at around 200ma including the switching and i only have a single coil winding out of 8 connected (140ft x 0.5mm)

http://vid936.photobucket.com/albums...ps6a2fd9bd.mp4

Comment

I always thought that one of the essential essences of the SG is that it does not need or want a Hall sensor. Am I wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by wrtner View Post
                              I always thought that one of the essential essences of the SG is that it does not need or want a Hall sensor. Am I wrong?
                              In a way you are spot on it is a 'school girl circuit' a bit sexist i suppose! however i think the idea was to create the "effect" as simply as possible, anyone can create the SG circuit without any electronics knowledge at all, making a good setup with a hall or optical really needs a scope and some basic electronics knowledge.
                              the amount of inductive kickback with this circuit is higher than i have seen with any inductively triggered circuit (on the same spool).
                              JB says that you have to build at a higher level if you want to go further, the sg is just a simple introduction to the idea.
                              I will post my final simple schematic so everyone can have a go, my first one was incomplete so dont bother with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X