Bedini SG Machine 8 - Transistor Kit Help Needed to make it run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Tom --

The current reading has been verified with multiple meters. The 0.34 Amp reading was when the SG machine
    was running with the 12 ohm resistor in series with the trigger coil magnet wire. With that configuration the SG
    machine was only running at 340 RPM. With the 12 ohm resistor out of the circuit and the SG machine was running
    at 595 RPM. No current measurements have been made yet. I will be taking new measurements this weekend for the
    12 ohm trigger coil resistor out of the circuit configuration. Just to explain why I can only really do things on the
    weekends is for my job as a Test Engineer I travel 60 miles to work and the time going to work is 1.5 hours. The time
    coming back home is 2.5 hours. Four hours of my day starting at 3:30 AM and ending at 7:30 PM really eats into experimentation
    time. When experimentation time is done in the evening it cuts into my 6.5 hours of sleeping time.

-- James

Originally posted by Tom C View Post
    James,

your ammeter reading is really low.for a machine running that fast!! i would think it was drawing 3.4 amps instead of .34 or 340 milliamps. could you double check that for us.

Tom C

Comment

no rush james,

your build has brought up a lot of questions and I want to make sure you have all the help you need from the forum. keep it up when you can all of us here have day jobs

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

Hi All --

To start off with I need to say some things about the Harbor Freight DMMs in particular
        the 7 function model that is in the sales flyers for free with coupon. On my first post I
        posted that the primary current was 0.34 amps and the charge current was 0.32 amps.
        Well I reported what I saw using the 7 function Harbor Freight DMM. I have three of these
        meters. That meter’s tolerance on the 10 Amp scale is 3% +/- 2 digits. That is horrible
        specs. With the currents I am measuring the best reading on this Harbor Freight DMM
        would be around 10 Amps. Measurements under an Amp I bet are +/- 50% and the
        shunt resistor in that meter loads down the SG machine pretty bad at high RPM and
        low currents. See below new measurements using an $80.00 dollar meter and other
        experimentations I have been doing over the past 2 weeks.

8-3-2014

I took a bunch of new measurements on the SG machine with it running with no 12 ohm
        resistor in series with the trigger coil. Still the wheel's RPM low reading is 595 RPM jumping
        up to 628 every now and again. This jumping around of the RPM measurement seems to be
        in the current draws also. Very weird not getting steady readings off the SG machine whiles its
        spinning. The wheel is still running now which it has been for 2 hours straight. I am running
        them by you first before posting them into the forum just to get your reactions to these
        measurements.

Start time - 11:42 AM

Temperature of room -- 21 C or 69.8 F degrees (No Air Condition Running in room.)
        Temperature at front of SG wheel -- 21 C or 69.8 degrees
        Temperature at back of wheel -- 21 C or 69.8 degrees
        Temperature on the transistors -- 21 C flicking up to 22 C but mostly on 21 C or 69.8 degrees, 71.6 degrees

Measurements made after 1.5 hours of running.

Temperature of room -- 21 C or 69.8 F degrees (No Air Condition Running in room.)
        Temperature at front of wheel -- 21 C or 69.8 degrees
        Temperature at back of wheel -- 21 C or 69.8 degrees
        Temperature on the transistors -- 21 C flicking up to 22 C but mostly on 21 C or 69.8 degrees, 71.6 degrees

Since the temperature readings did not change after 1.5 hours I thought something must
        be wrong with the temperature probe. So I then a put the probe right on my forehead and the
        temperature went up to 33 C or 91.4 F within 30 seconds. The probe end was just touching
        the skin on my forehead. So that proved that the temperature probe was working and there
        were no problems with the readings above.

Now for the weird current readings which seem to mimic the RPM reading on a periodic
        up and down. The current reading would step up to the high level and then go back to the
        low level and continue to do this as long as the wheel was spinning. It seemed like the coil
        was acting as a storage capacitor and then dumping off the current into the battery and
        then start recharging again.

Primary Battery Current Draw -- 0.54 Amps up to 0.69 Amps. (Every time an amp meter is
        put into the primary the wheel always slows down. RPM readings with amp meter in circuit
        is around 540 RPM.

Charge Battery Current Draw -- 0.34 Amps up to 0.39 Amps. (Amp meter does not affect the
        speed when hooked up in the charge battery circuit. Still running at 595 RPM's.

The conclusion is that the SG wheel is less efficient at the higher speeds but the currents are still
        way under an amp even though they went to higher levels in the primary circuit that are almost
        double what I first reported using the Harbor Freight DMM that shows up on many of the online
        videos.

Email 8-4-2014

Last night I was starting up the SG machine and getting it ready for current measurements.
        I had everything hooked up just fine and the current meter was measuring current. I was waiting
        for the SG machine to get up to full speed when a phone call came in. The wife was trying to
        watch her church program on the computer and then she insisted that I leave the room while talking
        on the phone. I only was halfway up the stairs when she started calling me about the SG wheel
        having a problem. By the time I got down the steps the wheel was rocking from side to side spitting
        out bearings. Oh man looks like a repair is in order here I will look at this tomorrow night.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/James/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.png[/IMG]

8-5-2014

Accessing the damaged that occurred at a quick glance I saw some bearings resting inside the
        windings of the my messy oversize coil and I am almost sure I will find others stuck to the 100
        pound rare earth magnets. Well I had to disassemble the whole wheel due to all the bearings
        were cough out and 17 of them landed on and under the coil. One was found just in front of the
        SG stand. Two of them flew out the back and landed 4 feet away. I believe since the coil was
        acting as a electro-magnet the coil grabbed 17 of the bearings for me. The two I found under
        the dining room table were the lucky finds. Anyhow the SG wheel is back up and running at 395
        RPM. I was able to fix a few things on the way wheel was assembled. This should not happen
        again. I hope that is not Famous last words.

Measurements taken with the Trigger coil hooked in series with the 12 ohm resistor.

Primary Input current measured was going from 0.48 to 0.54

Charge Output current was going from 0.25 to 0.30.

Looks like the cop is an average of 0.54. (12 ohm resistor in series with trigger coil.)

8-8-2014
        The RPM readings are bouncing but upwards. The 395 RPM reading reported is the
        low reading. The RPM reading goes as high as 450 RPM. The next move is to switch
        the trigger wire to no 12 ohm resistor in series just to get a few readings on RPM
        and current draws. Then I will switch the trigger wire back to 12 ohm resistor in series
        to see if I can make either the current or the RPM change for a better COP if possible.
        I hooked up the trigger wire to take the 12 ohm resistor out of the circuit. The new readings
        are below.

SG Wheel is running at 595 RPM -- Low value - I saw 640 RPM flick by.

Primary Current -- 0.58 to 0.64 Amps Average is 0.61 Amps

Charge Current -- 0.34 to 0.39 Amps Average is 0.365

Average COP is -- 0.598361 -- This COP was better than the 12 ohms in the circuit.

After these measurement s were taken I started to do some things just to see if I could
        increase the charge circuit current. I then added two more 100 pound pull rare earth magnets.
        The first thing I saw was the charge current jumped up to 0.50 Amps but the RPM went down
        to 450 RPM. I need to look into this data more. Maybe there is a balance point between the magnet quantity and the amount of current the primary draws from the battery thus allowing more current to
        flow onto the charge side of the circuit.

8-12-2014

Last night I worked up to almost 9:00 PM before I was chased out of the living room.
        First I lowered the coil to all the way down to flat on the base. I gave the wheel a good spin
        And even though it was spinning for a while it eventually stopped spinning. I did this twice just
        to make sure it did the same thing. I then raised the coil up to within 1/2 inch of the magnet
        spin. I had a few events of the 10 pound coil being lifted out of its hole and then sticking to
        a 100 pound magnet. Then I had to pry it off. Once everything was in place I gave the wheel
        a spin and it started spinning. It did not stop but was very noisy while running and ran slower
        but quickly gained speed up to 500 RPM. I then measured the current and it had increased in
        both the primary and charge circuits. So I then thought maybe if I remove two of the rare earth
        magnets then maybe the noise would go away. The noise did go down a bit and so did the
        current in both the primary and charge circuits. So what I did next was to add back the two
        rare earth magnets and I also added 5 more number eight ceramic magnets. What I then saw
        was a big increase in the current flow in both the primary and charge circuits. The measurements
        were 0.8 amps in the charge circuit and 1.09 amps. Wow!!! I broke through the 1 amp barrier.
        COP numbers are at 0.73394495. The current numbers recorded were the high readings in both
        circuits. The other thing I noticed was a 2/3 increase in the battery charging. Instead of every 3
        minutes of running of the SG wheel to see just a 0.01 volts jump in charge battery voltage I now
        see a 0.01 volt jump in charge battery in 1/3 the time. I saw the charge battery get pushed up
        to 12.94 volts last night. However the primary battery is now down to 12.17 volts. This was the
        highest reading I have ever seen from my SG machine. All this was done in 1 hour time limit
        before going to sleep. All current measurements were taken using a Kelvin DMM. All voltage
        measurements were taken using the Harbor Freight DMM. Yes those freebie meters are good
        enough for voltage readings.

-- James

Comment

amp fluctuations seem to be due to alligator clips alot of the time....try to avoid alligator clips if you can..... i also had it happening due to a bad connection on one of my (coil) wires going to the power, so you can always make sure your wire ends are cleaned off super good .... you might be able to wiggle the wires around and see the amp draw change then you know youve found a bad connection..... ive never used an amp meter on the output as its never been very accurate to the rate of charging that seems to be going on in the battery

Comment

Working...
          X