No announcement yet.

Patent #US7990110 FIG.1 - Replication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great information John, thanks again. You know I have seen the 555 in probably more projects than any other chip. A lot of the Bob Boyce guys use them in the toroid drivers for their plates.

So James here is a video which shows the advantage of a MC. This one was shot a few years ago but it explains pretty clearly the programming I was using and why. This is not the driver, this was a cap dump but I later started using the same technique on all kinds of things. It is a little long but watch the whole thing because it builds upon itself.

Link:
    http://1drv.ms/1mxEpOF

Comment

Hi Bob and John K et al

John, thank you for that information.

Bob, interesting video. I remember John B saying something about being able to charge the primary,. However, one had to be careful not to do it while it was running the circuit--saying to only back charge when the run circuit was switched off. Of course, that might happen several times per second, in-between run pulses. Have you experimented with that idea?
      Best Regards ~ James, Somewhere In Idaho

Comment

Hi James,
        No I have not really gone that route. My understanding is that if you want to do that it is best to disconnect BOTH power leads so I would imagine some sort of dual or quad relay arrangement to flip both legs back and fourth.

I am not too worried about the primary because I intend to run this one on solar most of the time. Being winter I have not had enough sun to really play much with that but I have hooked up a 50 watt panel to this thing and it loves it when their is enough sun. Because it is a solid state rather than a wheel it will self start if a cloud blocks the panel for too long. I also put a 15k cap on the front as a buffer.

By the way I tried dialing in your frequency but I was not getting any action. I know the MC was capable because my meter was responsive as I dialed in but at that frequency I think the coil I have on there is to slow, it's either that or the relay won't go that fast. The data sheet is not specific on the max frequency of that device (it's the little EL series).

You got some d1d40's from salvage? Lucky you my friend, I am ordering two of them for the wheeled machine I'm working on and those things are $83 a piece.

I have some 14AWG coils I can throw back on this machine and see if I can get the higher frequency. See the problem is the resistance of the coil will not let the current pass that quickly ( at least I am guessing) so if I put a much lower resistance coil I should be able to open and close faster and get some current through.

Anyway that's where I'm at for now.

Comment

Hi Bob

Hehehe...I bought a big rack-mount DMX-512 unit (LED lighting controller for concerts) that had 16-D1D40s, 2-8 channel DMX-512 control boards (think "programmable" relay board with 8 relays), 16-high amp rocker switches with breakers, some LEDs and a few other things for $100 on Ebay a couple years back. I am using 2 of the SSRs, half of the huge heat sink, a few rocker switches, a bunch of wiring, and the rack-mount component box from that in my current build.

...Removed a bunch of trivial stuff...

Anyway...it's all a learning experience. I do not wish to be dependent on others for my needs. That is why I have delved deeper into this than most tend to.
          Last edited by James_Somewhere_In_Idaho; 01-04-2016, 10:55 PM.

Comment

James I appreciate that you want to share your knowledge but your kind of forgetting what this machine is, it is not built for "intentional frequencies" that is a side show where I was forcing frequencies across THIS coil.That will not be in perfect resonance but it is fun to play with and at least it creates field that a lot of people seem to think is a beneficial frequency rather than one that could drive you crazy.

You seem to think that what I am doing is just run of the mill standard fair but I have not actually seen this type of device built by anyone else around here, jazzy frequencies or not. Not that it is hard to make, it is not at all and that is kind of the point of it. Maybe down the road I could do it right and make coils specifically for each frequency that I want and actually ring them into resonance.

I understand a great deal more than you seem to think I do. maybe I'm just reading you wrong dunno...

Comment

Hi Bob

James I appreciate that you want to share your knowledge but your kind of forgetting what this machine is, it is not built for "intentional frequencies" that is a side show where I was forcing frequencies across THIS coil.That will not be in perfect resonance but it is fun to play with and at least it creates field that a lot of people seem to think is a beneficial frequency rather than one that could drive you crazy.

You seem to think that what I am doing is just run of the mill standard fair but I have not actually seen this type of device built by anyone else around here, jazzy frequencies or not. Not that it is hard to make, it is not at all and that is kind of the point of it. Maybe down the road I could do it right and make coils specifically for each frequency that I want and actually ring them into resonance.

I understand a great deal more than you seem to think I do. maybe I'm just reading you wrong dunno...
              No Bob, I do not think these things that you are supposing that I think. I was just excited that you where venturing into this realm with your experiments. I do not presuppose that I know anything more than anyone else here. In fact, I was just hoping to share what I had learned with someone I felt was my contemporary, in order to help them in areas I felt I could help (not that those areas are many), while gaining insight from their experiments as well...is that not what a forum is about?

I am sorry that you feel the way you do, it was not my intention. Maybe I need to be more careful with how I say things, and with the questions I ask, and/or what i share and do not share--exercise more self-censorship and political correctness, as it were, pertaining to things discussed on this forum.

Over the past few weeks, I have pulled most of my stuff (photo albums, documentation, plans, etc) off of this forum, as of late, and have considered going back to what I was doing over the past couple years--just observing and doing my own experiments quietly--"go dark" as it were, like others who started this forum seem to have done...

Moreover, I have lately been editing my posts, taking out things I had thought was important to others, that turned out was actually NOT. Plus, I would remove things that might seem too "trivial" to others (project plans, designs, and certain things about how I go about designing something), or could easily be misconstrued into some sort of a food fight, and so forth...

I had been looking at your experiment as a really great thing, and have been trying to learn from you...that's all...hoping I could help where I can...

...but, hey...good luck with your builds, I hope you get to where you want to go...cheers...

...Edited for clarity...
              Last edited by James_Somewhere_In_Idaho; 01-05-2016, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Well James I don't know why you would go through and erase everything you said but whatever. It probably would have helped someone but I said to you that I understand a bit more than you seemed to think that I do.

Comment

Working...
                X