• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don,

the primary battery is discharging....

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

I believe what he is asking for is the current draw from the primary while running the linear reg at 1-2Amps.

Comment

the current draw on the primary in generator mode is higher than when running in mode 1 (standard SG) so it was between 1.5 and 2 amps. do not remember exactly. the beta multiplier does a good job of converting the spike to usable current.

Tom C

Comment

This might be a stupid question but... what is the adventage of this circuit? I mean, isn't the spike into the battery what makes the magic? why would you want to convert the spike into normal DC power? and.. another question, can the output of the linear regulator amplifier feed the front end of the SG/SSG ???,

best

Alvaro H

Comment

question 1- you can run loads directly off the linear regulator.
            question 2 - hmm that is a great question, as soon as I have the one I ordered I will try it out. I think it can but you will probably need a smoothing cap to protect the linear from the spike.

Tom C

Comment

Originally posted by AlvaroHN View Post
              This might be a stupid question but... what is the adventage of this circuit? I mean, isn't the spike into the battery what makes the magic? why would you want to convert the spike into normal DC power? and.. another question, can the output of the linear regulator amplifier feed the front end of the SG/SSG ???,

best

Alvaro H
              AlvaroHN,

The advantages of this circuit:

1. The circuit produces constant voltage, purest possible DC. This is how plates of the batteries are formed during production in the factories.
              2. It will charge your batteries up to full charge (~2.5 V/cell for lead-acid battery).
              3. It will not produce heat into the battery meaning that it will not cause new sulphation to appear on the plates, which will prolong the life of the battery significantly.
              4. You can run a load directly from the output of the circuit (within the limit of the circuit) The amplifier will self-adjust to that load.
              5. If the load needs less power than the circuit can supply, the amplifier will self-adjust to the load and the rest will be used to charge the battery.
              6. If that load needs more power than the circuit can supply it will draw that additional power from the battery. The amplifier will sense that and will not allow the battery to be charging while drawing power from it.

The spike will do its magic braking the sulphation off the plates and rejuvenating the battery. Once this is done the charging is better and faster with pure DC.

It is not recommended that you try to power SG off the output of the circuit !!!
              Here are some quotes of what John Bedini says about it.

Originally posted by John_Bedini View Post
              @ All,
              Some have asked if you can run an SSG off the charger ? The answer is NO unless it is completely filtered any spike will short the output amplifier.
              Please do not do that or you will destroy the unit.
              John
              The SSG produces spikes on the input and the output and requires series pass circuits and inductors to filter all this out. once you do that you change the way the SSG works and may not have the same charging effect.
              John B
              the fly back diodes are not fast enough to protect the output devices and emitter breakdown takes place, you can junk the amp after that. I'm not saying that it cant be done, it can with allot of work.
              John B

Regards
              Lman
              Last edited by Lman; 08-28-2014, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Thank you Tom C and Lman.

Best

Alvaro H

Comment

Originally posted by Tom C View Post
                  it did not change the rpm or output of the SG when it was powering a load at the conference. its like a regulated DC power supply. it gives what it gives and no more. the spike is captured in a cap and fed to the Beta multiplier, then to a linear amp. it runs like a solar tracker on the output side. the advantage to this device is it allows you to pulse charge and then keep your batteries topped with pure DC it has a potentiometer adjustable set point for the output voltage which can be set for lead acid or lithium iron phosphate , whatever style of battery you are charging.

Tom C
                  Hi Tom or anyone who knows: What set points do you use for lithium iron phosphate batteries and what do you use for lead acid? How do you recommend measuring the output voltage while adjusting the potentiometer? I just got one of these and am experimenting with it. Thanks.

Comment

Hi DaveD,

As you will find in Peter Lindermann's works, Battery University, Battery Bible & others, the end point for charging AGM SLABs is 14.8V. He gives you a whole chart of all the different end charging points for each battery type. I think the end point for charging wet (flooded) cell batteries is about 15.1V, but my charging chart shows it could be up to about 15.8V. When you order the device, just ask the guys to preset it to whatever battery type you are using it on. Adjust the pot before charging; not during.

Not sure what sort of o/p to expect from this device or what loads it can power. I'm wondering if it could run old fluoro lights or halogens, or supply hi-pot for LCD displays or e-m propelled firearms (anyone seen it in the latest Nuts & Volts issue design?!?), etc, for example? Need more info & more examples / applications.

Comment

Working...
                    X