No announcement yet.

Making ethanol for car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ha ha lol - chitty chitty bang bang anyone...

more like this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heilmann_locomotive
    Click image for larger version

Name:	450px-FuséeElectrique.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	46353

or any other combo therein...

Originally posted by wrtner View Post
    These Lotus 7 type kits have plenty of space. You have a spaceframe, then fit your electric motor which is not very big, and the rest is yours, subject to getting the body to fit
    http://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/u...a_kit_car.html

When you say "gasifier", I presume that you mean a cylinder of the gas, previously compressed. If you are planning to cart around the plant and a load of fire wood, your vehicle may end up looking a bit like this:
    http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/K4kQP...et/cMTdh1YdybX

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXEQTgZWoGA

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

Here is the car I bought a couple weeks ago for my conversion project. It's a 1985 VW Golf. Runs great. Plan is to convert to run on ethanol, and then see if I can get Aaron's plasma ignition going in it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	golf1.jpg
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	46400Click image for larger version

Name:	golf2.jpg
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	46401

Gonna grab one of the Charles 803 stills to make my batches of ethanol. And I have a large marshy area behind my house that will be perfect for growing cattails (which have a huge yield/acre when making ethanol).

I probably won't touch this for awhile until I finish up some other projects. Working on a solid state SG to connect to my harbor freight solar panel, and would like to wrap up my work with the crystal cells. Also my small flock of sheep is not so small anymore and their home needs some attention.

But I think this is going to be the perfect car for this project. Any insight welcome.

Branch

Comment

Originally posted by Tom C View Post
          you will then need lead acid for your power source....

Tom C
          Nicads and nmh respond well to the bedini tech as far as i can tell.. an old battery pack from a Prius could be used?

Comment

+ 1 on the geet system, i would run a small gen set with a PM generator charging batteries or running an electric motor to drive the car etc.. the good thing about conversion with geet is that, with modern 22 percent alcohol super yeast i dowt you would even need to bother distilling it to work in a geet system, (maybee an electric preheater will be needed however) (i have used 90 percent water and it will run when hot) and if you run out of alcohol water mix, you could stick in some waste oil of some type, you could always mix in a squirt of hydroxy gas and use plasma ignition systems..

a very very small generator in the boot could get rid of the alternator (or convert it to a motor for assist) and run a variable output hydroxy system on the power overhead.
            this could be done very cheaply indeed

Comment

Originally posted by luis_jacob12
              Ethanol is a fuel that can be manufactured easily by anyone with some basic materials and a little common sense. Made easily with commonly-available materials, it can also have a genuine impact on your fuel bill.
              Sugar cane is one of them!!!
              Rgds,
              Faraday88.
              'Wisdom comes from living out of the knowledge.'

Comment

Originally posted by Faraday88 View Post
                Sugar cane is one of them!!!
                Rgds,
                Faraday88.
                ... and so are grass cuttings - but there is a difficult process to be performed on the cellulose to get it ready for fermentation. If we could find a better way, that would be a giant leap forward.

Comment

Originally posted by luis_jacob12
                  Ethanol is a fuel that can be manufactured easily by anyone with some basic materials and a little common sense. Made easily with commonly-available materials, it can also have a genuine impact on your fuel bill.
                  Whatever method is used to generate your fuel source must be price competitive, with your labor, to your regular pay at whatever you do to earn a living. Otherwise you are just doing it for fun or research. The ultimate measure of efficiency is dollars/labor input vs dollars/labor output. The thermal or electrical efficiency of a device, in itself, is not that important. For me, gathering sugar cane or other such materials and operating an alcohol generating plant, would be "price" prohibitive. If you are operating a fleet of trucks you would be on a different scale and maybe do better. A device such as a Tesla switch, SSG, HHO or conventional solar shows a possibility of being a good return on investment for my every day use.

Richard Gieser

Comment

the difference between a flex fuel car and say a regular gas car made in 1996 is the injector pulse duration time ( how long the injector stays open to spray the fuel into the combustion chamber ) aside from the fact the hoses fuel lines and fuel tank are stainless steel vs common steel due to corrosion just think of a drink that has alchohol and water they blend well dont they well so does ethanol and corrosion in the steel fuel tanks and lines is a issue the solution more expensive fuel lines and tanks all hoses shuld be ethanol safe anyway being the whole reason for E-10 is the ethanol is used as a octane booster if i remember right ( i do have a short term memory loss problem that i got due to a accident but prior to it i had earned 2 degrees in auto tech ) the old octane booster MMT is water soluble as well as soluble in gasoline and because of that they banned MMT to keep it out of our water supply because MMT also causes birth defects ....now in Brazil they got wise after the gas crunch of the early 1970's though i was a young boy i recall sitting in the car for hours to get our cars gas but Brazil had went 1 step further and started having cars modified to run on ethanol and distill fuel out of Bagasse the is the fibrous matter that remains after sugarcane is squeezed for the juice in the stalk to refine sugar and use that to make fuel for cars they have been doing it a LONG time well i have seen a conversion kit that allows you to put this box in between your injectors and the ECU ( computer) and it modifies the injector pulse width and allow you to run pure alcohol if you wanted to all you got to do is flip a switch you install on your dash and tell the box your running pure ethanol if it truly works IDK i have never tried it being my car i owned during the time i looked into making my car run on Ethanol but id have to have a custom fuel tank made or find a way to insert some kind of bag to hold my fuel so it does not corrode my tank i do know there is a type of fiberglass resin that will not dissolve if it is in constant contact with Ethanol ( my family has been in the boating industry since the late 60s so i use fiberglass well and learned that there was a type of resin that wont melt later being boats my uncle made in the 70s -90s all had fiberglass tanks and now that Hawaii's law says fuel must be E-10 and just for instance i have a section of a 1/2 inch thick piece of a tank my uncle made that the E-10 ate and also caused the resin /fuel mix to plug the intake tract and cause the intake valves to be stuck open not to mention caused the pistons to hit the valves it was a mess the owner of the boat went to court sued thte state and won the $ for a brand new motor so i know i could use the resin that once cured wont be eaten by the ethanol but i dont want to leave the possibility it is eaten a bit and my car is ruined beng i was involved with the lawsuit if i was to modify my fuel tank with the resin that the ethanol wont eatiI cant sue the state for a new racing engine and i spent too much time effort and $ on my car to run the risk but i shared this to give youa possible idea for your old car but you need to go on and do the research im not willing to expend the time or energy to put in
                    Last edited by Outboardtech; 08-17-2018, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wrtner View Post
                      I don't think the EV cares whether the batteries are Lead or Li. The latter are preferred because their capacity is very much higher for their weight and volume.

The reality is that you would need one heck of a Bedini to supply the energy at the rate you are going to need it, even bearing in mind that when you stop for something to eat, the Bedini will be left running. I doubt that the SG would be suitable; you are looking at a Watson variation of the Bedini, as per the 1984 "Free Energy Generator" document.
                      SG/SSG is suitable to any scale, any chemistry of Rechargeable batteries.you were shown only the toy size for experimentation. BTW The 1984 single battery and the Watson machine are two distinct machines..Watson's topology and scale-up was bigger. Just my few cents for the discussion
                      Rgds,
                      Faraday88.
                      'Wisdom comes from living out of the knowledge.'

Comment

Working...
                      X