Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBA vs 300V Radiant

G'day,

Is there a measurable risk to the CBA when trying to monitor radiant charging? Have seen Bedini do it but just checking...

I am using an a 8 fi-lar 100 plus foot coil switched by 7, MJE13009's and one trigger w/CPD Mod plus series power resistor. Consumes 15Watts.

Cheers,

Joe

Nope, it will be fine. Been using one for years with no problems.

John K.

Comment

Hi Joe,

Just don't do it with an o-scope hooked up at the same time, or you get a ground fault that will damage the CBA. The negative lead of the CBA is connected directly to mains ground. And the ground probe of the o-scope is connected to mains ground. So when in radiant mode, the charge battery negative is common with the run battery positive which places the CBA negative lead (and mains ground) in common with the charge battery as well! Then when the o-scope is also hooked up, the probe ground lead (and hence the safety ground to mains) is usually hooked to the run battery negative. Now the primary battery is directly shorted through the safety ground system of the o-scope and the computer that the CBA is attached to.

This will quickly burn up the o-scope probe ground lead, blow the fuse in the CBA, and cause damage to the firmware in the CBA.

Don't ask how I know this.

Just don't try hooking anything else up to the circuit that is mains powered at the same time the CBA is also hooked up and it will be fine.

Comment

I wonder if this is what happened to my CBA. I use it with my scope.

It runs fine in charge monitor mode....but destroys batteries now when I use it to discharge.

Originally posted by Gary Hammond View Post
        Hi Joe,

Just don't do it with an o-scope hooked up at the same time, or you get a ground fault that will damage the CBA. The negative lead of the CBA is connected directly to mains ground. And the ground probe of the o-scope is connected to mains ground. So when in radiant mode, the charge battery negative is common with the run battery positive which places the CBA negative lead (and mains ground) in common with the charge battery as well! Then when the o-scope is also hooked up, the probe ground lead (and hence the safety ground to mains) is usually hooked to the run battery negative. Now the primary battery is directly shorted through the safety ground system of the o-scope and the computer that the CBA is attached to.

This will quickly burn up the o-scope probe ground lead, blow the fuse in the CBA, and cause damage to the firmware in the CBA.

Don't ask how I know this.

Just don't try hooking anything else up to the circuit that is mains powered at the same time the CBA is also hooked up and it will be fine.

Comment

Working...
        X