My thoughs on sealed lead acid batter for Bedini project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My thoughs on sealed lead acid batter for Bedini project

Hi all , i want to share some of my thoughts on sealed lead acid battery.

I know that it possible to fill up with distill water the SLBA battery, and i done so already, the problem is with SLBA battery that it depends on cells shape, in my case if i start charging battery with conventional charger the voltage of my battery jump to 16 Volt and some bubbles came off the battery, so any advise will be appreciated.

Comment

First off you are correct in thinking that you should use wet cells that you can fill.

Be aware however that even with a radiant charge there will be bubbling, you said in the video that you did not expect that to happen but it will. You should remove those caps on your wet cells too..

Question about that wall charger you showed for your primary charger. What voltage and current does that output? From the video it looked like it was way over powered for those batteries.

Your last message indicated that you figured out that you can fill the SLAB but too make sure I will describe how you can do that..

Take a very small screwdriver and carefully pry around the top cover and it will pop off. Under that cover you will find small rubber caps. Remove those but first do you notice that they are under a vacuum pressure, meaning sucked inward, when you remove the cap does it suck in air? If it does than that is a good indication that you dried them out and over discharged.

Take the rubber caps off and put about 8-10 drops of distilled water in each hole. Do not fill all the way. There are porous separators between the plates that you want to moisten but not flood. Let the water soak in for an hour.

If you charge these on your wheel there is a good chance you can bring them back to life. You may have a cell reversal which you can correct sometimes. Charge it up and discharge it several times and you may see improvement. It is worth a try since they are junked now anyway.

If you can get them working again then only charge them to 14.8v in the future. The main problem with sealed cells is that you will convert the electrolyte to hydrogen and they will dry out. If you put a few drops of water in them every once and awhile you can counter act this process but it is not an ideal situation. You are better off with the other wet cells.

Comment

I thought I would show a picture of the inside on one of them. This battery was left outside all winter and busted from the freezing but you can see the plates and separators. This is a small 12v 5AH...

Click image for larger version

Name:	SLAB_openSideVie.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	46342

Comment

BobZilla thx for info!
          Take the rubber caps off and put about 8-10 drops of distilled water in each hole. Do not fill all the way. There are porous separators between the plates that you want to moisten but not flood. Let the water soak in for an hour.
          Ok, now i know why bubbles came up during charging

If you put a few drops of water in them every once and awhile you can counter act this process but it is not an ideal situation. You are better off with the other wet cells.
          This is quite learning process , so i hope my video just clarified the situation.
          About my conventional charger with following specs: 300mA and 12DC to charge the 12V Battery, normally it takes at least 8Hours to see some result.
          Overall i totally agree that SLBA can be quite a mess and shouldn't be recommended for SSG type project....
          Additionally i added new video on my youtube channel:

Comment

Working...
          X