No announcement yet.

CPD mod - capacitor potentiometer diode modification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are a few ramblings I hoped might help anyone trying to get free triggering and better charging from their solid state devices. It should be very simple:

Kind Regards,
    Patrick

Comment

Here's a little CAP trick to find where resonance is visa-vi CAP and trigger coil...

I don't quite get it together in the vid, but this can be accomplished w/ the software listed in my earlier post.
      KR,
      Patrick

Comment

I'm comparing the Vanilla SSG to the Vanilla CPD mod - yes there are other things to do to increase the efficiency further... just comparing V vs V:

I perform a quick, down and dirty CPD modification to the 8T kit from Teslagenx.
        Kind Regards,
        Patrick A.

Comment

Thanks for vid, I questioned your method when you did not discharge between charging and started .1 volts higher with the solidstate, but you finished well, Basically showing 2x the charge rate with solidstate. from 12.79v to 13.13 wheeled (short rest), then 12.89 to 12.21 solid state (shorter rest), then 13.06 to 13.21 wheeled again all in 10 minute increments. Or maybe the ss was a little fluff so the wheel had to pick up the slack at the end and give it a real charge. Information can always be manipilated and misinterpreted. Thx for time shared. Aln

Comment

pat to be a fair test a full run and discharge times should compared

Comment

Hi Patrick,
              Good video man. So looking at how you ran that particular test it looks to be the same as what I was doing. I would be most curious to see how you can apply the slower pulses to a larger battery and have it charge. I don't mean larger than the one you show, that one is fine but I have never been able to run the CPD in Pop, Pop, Pop mode on anything larger than like a 5AH and have it actually charge at any reasonable rate.

At the higher frequency it seems that the cap becomes a pass-through and then the diode introduces a voltage drop on the way to the base.

An interesting comparison might be a vanilla SS vs SS with CPD performed on decent sized batteries like the one in this latest video.

Comment

Hi Bob,
                That was a "pop pop", I did not pass "the point of no return".

Good observations
                The point of the CPD mod is not to get slower pulses, it is to slap the base hard with just the right amount of punch for the coil as efficiently as possible. Do the trick in my previous vid, cap only, you'll see the Teslagenx coils need to pulse faster than some of my other builds.

In the vid you should see how I have to play w/ the "branch resistance" and the CAP's pot in order to get closer to the trigger cap resonance. The actual individual base resistors are just as important in this task, that goes for the wheel as well.

KR,
                Patrick

Originally posted by BobZilla View Post
                Hi Patrick,
                Good video man. So looking at how you ran that particular test it looks to be the same as what I was doing. I would be most curious to see how you can apply the slower pulses to a larger battery and have it charge. I don't mean larger than the one you show, that one is fine but I have never been able to run the CPD in Pop, Pop, Pop mode on anything larger than like a 5AH and have it actually charge at any reasonable rate.

At the higher frequency it seems that the cap becomes a pass-through and then the diode introduces a voltage drop on the way to the base.

An interesting comparison might be a vanilla SS vs SS with CPD performed on decent sized batteries like the one in this latest video.

Comment

to anyone who watched the whole vid.

My intentions start out well - many times I get caught in a loop - sometimes I actually make some sense.

In the final analysis from this vid - I hope you can see how easy it is if you already have a wheel spinning to make this conversion so YOU can SEE for YOURSELF!

A vid will ever prove anything - that's most likely the 50th+ time I've mentioned it over the years.
                  KR,
                  Patrick

Originally posted by aln View Post
                  Thanks for vid, I questioned your method when you did not discharge between charging and started .1 volts higher with the solidstate, but you finished well, Basically showing 2x the charge rate with solidstate. from 12.79v to 13.13 wheeled (short rest), then 12.89 to 12.21 solid state (shorter rest), then 13.06 to 13.21 wheeled again all in 10 minute increments. Or maybe the ss was a little fluff so the wheel had to pick up the slack at the end and give it a real charge. Information can always be manipilated and misinterpreted. Thx for time shared. Aln

Comment

Life is not fair - Mwahaha

I've completed the full runs over the years and the cpd wins hands down. I won't do it for a vid...
                    KR,
                    Patrick

Originally posted by guyzzemf View Post
                    pat to be a fair test a full run and discharge times should compared

Comment

Hi Bob,
                      That was a "pop pop", I did not pass "the point of no return".

Good observations
                      The point of the CPD mod is not to get slower pulses, it is to slap the base hard with just the right amount of punch for the coil as efficiently as possible. Do the trick in my previous vid, cap only, you'll see the Teslagenx coils need to pulse faster than some of my other builds.

In the vid you should see how I have to play w/ the "branch resistance" and the CAP's pot in order to get closer to the trigger cap resonance. The actual individual base resistors are just as important in this task, that goes for the wheel as well.

KR,
                      Patrick

Fair enough ;-)

I was under the impression that I should have been able to get a slower pop but I think now that I have seen you running it on sizable batteries I was doing it right all along. In that test vid I made I started out saying that I had been doing a run in the high frequency and the chart showed a good climb but I thought I was supposed to be much slower like pop pop. I had done most of that run with just the 5.5uf cap and the onboard pot, then I added the mega pot and messed around with the large caps trying to achieve something that was not correct.

I used to run my other SS (4 tranny) in the same way with the CPD and it was a damm good charger but I had gotten side tracked by myself in thinking I needed to slow it down. I still have that old SS and I might fit a CPD on it just to re-visit the mod.

Many thanks for your contributions!

Comment

Patrick,

have you tried running air core on with the TeslagenX coil, it will run a bit differently, it will switch faster with no core. also I have found that a rotored machine desulphates batteries better than a solid state, I don't know if it is because of frequency and resonance or what other factors may be in there.

I have also found solid state to be very efficient for charging. the 2a12 and 1AU chargers from energenx are solid state pulse charger, I really like my first gen 2A12, it could actually charge a pair of Trojan T105's took a couple of weeks but amazing results!!

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

Originally posted by Tom C View Post
                          Patrick,

have you tried running air core on with the TeslagenX coil, it will run a bit differently, it will switch faster with no core.
                          Yes, I mentioned that briefly in the vid.

also I have found that a rotored machine desulphates batteries better than a solid state, I don't know if it is because of frequency and resonance or what other factors may be in there.
                          Yes, I've mentioned this in previous posts as well. This is part why I still believe I'm missing something with the wheel. I would love for John Bedini to chime in on this. He mentions at the Ferris Wheel conference when he had an engineer over "what is going on in this battery?" he first discovered this with the G-field. With all my efficiencies and over 1:1's I have yet to produce that effect as he described at the conference.... So I "drive on"
                          KR,
                          Patrick A.

I have also found solid state to be very efficient for charging. the 2a12 and 1AU chargers from energenx are solid state pulse charger, I really like my first gen 2A12, it could actually charge a pair of Trojan T105's took a couple of weeks but amazing results!!

Tom C

Comment

Hi Bob,
                            from watching that vid, It looked/sounded to me that you did pass the resonant point just as I did before playing around w/ the branch resistance and cap pot.
                            try the cap only trick, use the software below, this will give you a freq. target...
                            KR,
                            Patrick

Originally posted by BobZilla View Post
                            Fair enough ;-)

I was under the impression that I should have been able to get a slower pop but I think now that I have seen you running it on sizable batteries I was doing it right all along. In that test vid I made I started out saying that I had been doing a run in the high frequency and the chart showed a good climb but I thought I was supposed to be much slower like pop pop. I had done most of that run with just the 5.5uf cap and the onboard pot, then I added the mega pot and messed around with the large caps trying to achieve something that was not correct.

Comment

FWIW- I do not see 1 to 1 with sulphated batteries. on a rotored or SS..... don't care just restoring.
                              Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

I have been charging my primaries with the new tracker 3a so it is all gains..

I want to hook my new machine up more directly but it is nice to at least be doing some solar harvesting for my primaries. Those larger AGM's I have take 2 days if it's mostly sunny, maybe 3 days.

Comment

Working...
                                X