26" wheel won't "Gear Change" without moving the coil away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jelloir View Post
    Performance has improved, the gear change still won't happen if the coil is to close, however the distance at which it will has decreased. The SSG makes more of a purring sound now and emmit's a sort of faint ringing noise.
    Very nice, excellent discoveries.

Interestingly when I use my comparator I have to shorten the pulse time to get it to gear change, whereas on a 20" 17 mag wheel I had it was the opposite? Whilst I mention the comparator, I was under the impression from the SSG intermediate handbook that performance would be better than radiant mode, but on my SSG radiant seems much better performing?
    everyone's build and tune is different so difficult to compare. It's great you are getting there in terms of charging either way.

I keep reading that there is no sweet spot in attraction mode, but then see people using variable resistors when running in attraction mode, What gives?
    where have you read this? There is definitely a sweet spot in my build.
    Thanks for the insights - Kind Regards,
    Patrick A.

Comment

@BobZilla, After reading your comments and having it in the back of my mind for the last few days, I think I will stick with radiant mode for the time being , the comparator was adding a layer of complexity that I'm not yet ready for. Thanks once again!

@Branch, I read your post a couple of times and think I understand what your saying, I have certainly noticed a far greater fluctuation in amp draw until it kicks into high gear where I presume it starts single spiking, as for the amount of spikes I'm getting I couldn't say but did watch Patrick's video on the timing light and tried to make one and then kinda got distracted, don't know about you but I have grand ideas about running 20 runs and doing it all like a highly organized and efficient lab exercise and the next few minutes I'm swapping batteries, adjusting coil gaps, making squareperpoles and have completely gone off track haha. Anyway as luck would have it, my Father in law has an old oscilloscope he is giving to me next month, so this should help me really understand what your saying. Must remind myself to read this thread again once I have it. By the way your SSG build thread has a ton of stuff that has helped me, so thanks! The audio files from the thread you linked to are missing by the way, bummer!

And Patrick, likewise with the really useful threads and videos, super useful for newbs like me. I keep thinking to myself that the sounds the SSG gives off seem like a clue to it's performance, this is just a hocus pocus statement by me, but I keep finding myself cocking my head and trying to pick out tones it's making.

As for statements about attraction mode having no sweet spot, I think JB mentions it in EFV, when I watch it again I'll try and remember what part. TomC also stated this here and in Branch's very thread here. So in fact I think the only 2 places I recall it are from EFV and TomC's posts. I am mindful of taking things out of context, if so then sorry, but this seemed to indicate that it shouldn't be necessary, but obviously there is benefits.
      Last edited by jelloir; 05-30-2014, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Which EFV?
        There is definitely a "sweet spot" in my wheel, perhaps I'm defining it incorrectly and out of context, however, as well.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	scope.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	46330
        Kind Regards,
        Patrick

As for statements about attraction mode having no sweet spot, I think JB mentions it in EFV, when I watch it again I'll try and remember what part. TomC also stated this here and in Branch's very thread here. So in fact I think the only 2 places I recall it are from EFV and TomC's posts. I am mindful of taking things out of context, if so then sorry, but this seemed to indicate that it shouldn't be necessary, but obviously there is benefits.

Comment

I'll get back to you on the EFV reference once I watch 33 and 34 again, might watch them this weekend. Can you elaborate on the scope shot you posted, I'm not sure what I'm looking at (but looks like 2 H waves??)

Comment

I'll get back to you on the EFV reference once I watch 33 and 34 again, might watch them this weekend. Can you elaborate on the scope shot you posted, I'm not sure what I'm looking at (but looks like 2 H waves??)
            For reference, EFV 34 Disc 2 - 1:15:30 is where John mentions not needing the sweet spot in attraction mode. After watching it again it seems like JB is making reference to minimizing the heat on the transistors that repulsion mode would create.

Thanks

Comment

when running in repulsion, there were certain spots, usually right before a change in the number of pulses where the current would drop and the wheel accelerated in a non linear way. those spots of reduced current draw were the "sweet spot". in attraction mode, you don't see those spots as dramatically, and its more of a matter of finding a resistance point where the battery charges best. if you change your battery that point will change.

just helping to muddy the water a bit more

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

Ah, I like muddy water haha. Let's do some more...
                at about 8:50 running in attraction master class DVD 24

Name:	attraction 8.50.jpg
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	46335

same dvd at about 14:40

Name:	Tuning14.40.jpg
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	46336

This is the spot, he never calls it a sweet spot so as I mentioned earlier I might be confusing the terminology. This is what we are tuning for which to me is sweet

Jelloir,
                I do not have 34 so I can't review that one. Is it possible that he is also talking in context to being in Neg to Neg mode (forced charging mode 3)
                Kind Regards,
                Patrick

Originally posted by Tom C View Post
                when running in repulsion, there were certain spots, usually right before a change in the number of pulses where the current would drop and the wheel accelerated in a non linear way. those spots of reduced current draw were the "sweet spot". in attraction mode, you don't see those spots as dramatically, and its more of a matter of finding a resistance point where the battery charges best. if you change your battery that point will change.

just helping to muddy the water a bit more

Tom C

Comment

o no not the 23 derg monster lol //not sure where this post goes [everywhere ] but there is a raico some where in number of magnets
                  magnet strength WEIGHT OF WHEEL, core size / if coil and core are the same 4 me and you and you put 21 magnets on a 26 in. rotor that weighed 5 lbs and i did same on a 2 lbs rotor the 5 lbs should react more to coil gap shift diff . change any part of the equation changes the
                  big picture alot
                  BY react more i mean small changes in coil gap to a heavy rotor .a liter rotor should be more forgiving as to a tuneable gap
                  feed back please
                  guy
                  Last edited by guyzzemf; 06-01-2014, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Little embarrassed... but relieved. It turns out I have been using my SSG without the 12ohm resistor in series the whole time! My Teslagenx board has been mounted to the SSG since I built it and therefore I couldn't see the traces on the board and referred to the schematic for trigger posts. Due to some confusion I mixed them up! This sounds like a really obvious thing to miss but I assure you the reason is understandable, all I will say is pay very close attention to instructions vs. the schematic of the board

I wasn't seeing the results I expected so I bought various 10W resistors, I was sitting there testing the resistors and was scratching my head why they weren't operating as I had expected, I reviewed everything and then realized my mistake. Needless to say my SSG now works better and no longer "chugs" or has the pronounced gear change effect.

I had tried the opposite (correct) trigger post over the last few weeks but just as a quick bit of mucking around and never seriously tested it.

James
                    Last edited by jelloir; 06-05-2014, 03:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X