* NEW * BEDINI RPX BOOK & DVD SET: BEDINI RPX

2019 ESTC ALL SEATS SOLD OUT!
PRE-REGISTER FOR THE
2020 ENERGY CONFERENCE

Monero XMR

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Branch's NEW Solid State SG

Branch's NEW Solid State SG

I have a new board to show off! I haven't posted in awhile...I've been busy building.

What Tom C has written here multiple times to various people kind of sunk in after awhile. Use the already free energy from the sun as your energy source. It has infinite COP. So that is my plan with this board. Hook it up to solar. Right now I am testing it out, making sure components are getting too hot and seeing how far I can push it.

I received a massive amount of help from Bobzilla on this, so shout out to him for answering all 384 of my questions and guiding my through the process of putting this all together. I feel much more confident in my building skills now, and I'm happy to have a board that I created myself.

Here's a video I just shot of it in action really for the first time tonight. Enjoy.

Dumb question, how much current you use for solid state?

The amount of current you draw depends on how much resistance you apply, or "how you tune it". I can pull 130mA or I can pull 3 amps....just depends on the size of the battery I am charging.

Right now I am pulling 130mA, and charging up a lawn/tractor battery.

Quote Originally Posted by BEDINSSGUKRAINE View Post
    Dumb question, how much current you use for solid state?

Nice one Branch! Making a solid state SG has been on my mind lately so I be following this with great interest.

James

Hey Branch, appreciate the shout out. I just gave you some advice but you built it bro,, can't wait to see some run data on it once you figure out how you like to tune it.

Great work man!

Circuit looks pretty cool.

Wondering how you are getting the spikes to show up on the scope with your charge battery connected. When I put my scope across the charge battery while my ss sg is running I cant see the spikes. I can only see them when the charge battery is disconnected which I don't do for more then a second because my input current sky rockets when there is no load.

I connect the lead to the rectified side of the collector, after the diode, and then the ground to the negative terminal on the battery.

I actually had it hooked up wrong in the vid. I've been meaning to shoot another one as a correction.

Quote Originally Posted by Joster View Post
    Circuit looks pretty cool.

Wondering how you are getting the spikes to show up on the scope with your charge battery connected. When I put my scope across the charge battery while my ss sg is running I cant see the spikes. I can only see them when the charge battery is disconnected which I don't do for more then a second because my input current sky rockets when there is no load.

Video update for my solid state SG. Charging up a 225AH Trojan this morning with around 300mA from a Harbor Freight 45-watt panel kit. Not sure if it will charge up completely...just testing to see what it will do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzDLNrzFRNI

For anyone who watches the above video...I am thinking that if I increase the cap size...that it would bring down the running cap voltage....is that the right way to think about it? Because it would take longer to fill up...so for the same input current I could adjust the cap size to get the voltage closer to a 12V battery. Thinking of trying a 100,000uf cap...50V.

the hysteresis in the core of the coil with the rods in slows it down. take the rods out and watch the change, it will cycle much faster. you should be switching in the Mhz range. it will charge better. you can tune it by moving rods in and out or changing the rod overall diameter.

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers