80A 12v vs 24v Solar Tracker V for Off Grid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80A 12v vs 24v Solar Tracker V for Off Grid

I have a Solar Tracker V 80A12V. I am now thinking perhaps I should have went with a 24volt system. I am not sure why they offer 80A/160A in 12 volt versions. I want it to be a scalable system and to build it so I can be off grid someday. Can I still do this with a 12v system? What batteries would you use for a battery bank on a 12v system? How far could I go?

Hi Yoe777,

Absolutely you can go off-grid with a 12 volt system. There's nothing wrong with that. There are some real good 12v inverters now that are very efficient and there are also a lot more 12v devices (lights, refrigerators, etc.) than there are 24v, so for some loads you won't even need an inverter.

For batteries, IMO you can't go past Trojan T105 6V batteries.

You have the right charge controller that's good up to 80A, or about 1.5kW of solar panels.

If you haven't already, read Peter Lindemann's free eBook on Solar Secrets. http://www.energyscienceforum.com/sh...=solar+secrets

John K.

Comment

I have read it and been a follower of Bedini and Peters research for a while now.

What do you mean "You can't go past" The T105's. How many could you put in parrell?

Comment

Figure of speech for "there is nothing better".

You can put as T105's in parallel as your panels can charge up in a day. Of course for a 12v system you need to place 2 T105's in series to get 12v.

John K.

Comment

Of course you need to put them in parallel for 12v. From people that I have been talking to I have been led to believe that putting 8 pairs in parallel is pushing it. My solar array is aprx 1500 watts. So let's say I'll get an average of 600 watts for 5 hours a day.

How many pairs of the t105 would be optimal to insure the topping event.

My second question is when I do want to expand... How far could I stretch a 12v t105 battery bank?

Comment

Yoe, just to clarify - T105 batteries are 6V. So you need two to make up one 12v 105Ah bank.

Based on the panels you have and your averages, you'll get 30A x 20V (600W) for 5 hours/day - or 150Ah per day.

John K.

Comment

I agree a 12 volt setup can work for a home. What you need to do is watch how much you use in a day. I have found if you "exercise" your battery bank it BUILDS muscle.....to a point within them. 2 small banks are better than just one I think. As for beating the T-105....Rolls makes the BEST....S600 L16's for the money.
              Honestly....this WHOLE subject interest has been to get the most energy out of a battery....ummmm..making it "do better than expected". ANY flooded lead-acid battery designed and used for what it was made for WILL BENIFIT from John B's newest circuit. I myself will be using it....to a point. I plan on using it for powering a multi coil machine.. INDUCTION setup for my expensive battery bank. Just a personal choice.
              1.5 KW for an 80 amp Tracker 5? How did you get that John K?

Comment

80 AMP at 12 volts? Sorry to not point that out

Comment

Working...
                X