Lead Acid Batteries to Crystal Batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lead Acid Batteries to Crystal Batteries

John and Chuck made a video where they show us that they made a crystal battery from a new never been used lead acid battery. Shown here New Crystal Batteries20 John Bedini and Chuck Hupp - YouTube

I thought this was a great idea, its simple and super easy to make. They did not give us the mix that was used so i desided to make my own. I used a simple mix that i've been playing. This mix has shown to help protect magnesium ribbon so it should do well with lead plates. I picked up a new never been filled battery from Walmart for $40. The batteries are quite expensive but if we could get a good formula going paying $50 or so for a crystal battery would be a bargain. I'm hoping that others could chime in and maybe try different formulas too so that we can find that one good one.

here are the videos i made about my crystal lead batteries.

Big Crystal Cell from new lead acid battery with no acid - YouTube

and

Crystal battery runs led over night and lights a 12V LED - YouTube

Also here is a video of the formula that i use and measurements i take to make sure the magnesium is not corroding.
    measuring corrosion of magnesium in detergent - YouTube

all thoughts and comments are welcomed.

Ok so I'll guess i'll give a update of what i did with this battery. Its a clean 12 volt battery which means it never had acid added to it but instead has detergent and water in it. It started off at 7 volts but it ended up at 1.3 volts. From my experiences with lead acid batteries you must charge them up when you add the acid as they only have a part of there power. So i took a real lead acid battery and hooked it up to the clean battery so that the lead acid battery would charge the clean battery. The voltage went up and then down and then back up twice on the clean acid battery. I let it run for some time and then disconnected them so they would get a good standing voltage. The lead acid battery had a standing voltage of 11.66V before the test and the clean battery had 1.3 volts before the test. After they sat all day to get a standing voltage the Clean lead acid battery settled at 5.73 V and the oddly enough the lead acid battery settled back at 11.66 Volts. So to make sure the power in the clean battery was real i allowed it to run a LED over night which it did at full brightness. When I woke up the LED was still going brightly. The lead acid battery finally settled at 11.79 volts which is higher than where it started at and the clean battery settled at around 3 Volts and is slowly creeping up higher. I'm now re-running the test but this i'm going to charge the battery longer to make sure this was not a fluke. From what i could see i was able to charge the battery for free and run the LED all night for free, but running the test again will confirm this.

Comment

nice work IB.. can wait to see your progress..cheers!! is that deep cycle batt,or just starter batt?TIA
      Alfin

Comment

Originally posted by alfinip2000 View Post
        nice work IB.. can wait to see your progress..cheers!! is that deep cycle batt,or just starter batt?TIA
        Alfin
        Its just a normal starting battery.

Comment

After charging the clean battery for longer with the 12 volt lead acid battery I let them sit for most of the day. The clean battery with detergent and water in it is now at 6.18 volts and the 12 volt battery that charged the clean battery is now at 11.36 volts. These numbers are interesting. I ran this test yesterday and the clean battery was able to run a LED overnight without dying and the 12 volt battery that charged it recovered over its standing voltage. Now that I have repeated the test with longer times I'm getting a better understanding. What is odd is how the 12 volt battery that is used to charge the clean battery is able to recover so well, it started off at 11.66 volts and its almost back to that. I bet if i let it sit over night it will be back to the 11.66 volts. Also I think i might run the LED again all night to see what it does. This testing is very interesting, why is the battery that's charging the clean battery not loosing its charge? I'm able to recharge the clean battery for free everyday and have light all night. It will be interesting what the morning holds.

Comment

The clean lead acid battery ran fine all last night. It was so bright that it lit up the room nicely and i could read by it. It stayed fully bright all night. What i find odd is that the LED is on very brightly but the LED has not burned out yet. I have no limiting resistor in series with the LED but yet the LED runs fine.

Comment

Originally posted by ibpointless2 View Post
              The clean lead acid battery ran fine all last night. It was so bright that it lit up the room nicely and i could read by it. It stayed fully bright all night. What i find odd is that the LED is on very brightly but the LED has not burned out yet. I have no limiting resistor in series with the LED but yet the LED runs fine.
              Continuing what i said earlier...

I let the LED run over night (~8hrs) and i removed he connection from the clean battery and let it rest to allow it to get a standing voltage. The clean battery standing voltage is now at 4.46 volts. The lead acid battery that was used to charge the clean battery is now sitting at 11.77 volts. This is quite amazing again! The original voltage of the lead acid battery was 11.66 volts and once again its sitting at a higher voltage than where it started at. I can't explain why the lead acid battery used for charging the clean battery is not really dying. I have enough power in the clean battery to run the LED once again tonight and I think i will.

I'm stumped by ...
              -The LED is not burning out
              -The battery used for charging the clean battery is not dying
              -The Clean battery ability to Power a LED below its forward voltage region, The LED is on full blast when its only has 2.4 volts across it but yet the LED has a 3.2 forward voltage.

Comment

Been following this thread....very cool stuff! I was watching your videos and was wondering if there was a ratio to the mixture? When you pour it into the battery, do you put it in all separately in certain proportions?

Comment

Originally posted by Branch Gordon View Post
                  Been following this thread....very cool stuff! I was watching your videos and was wondering if there was a ratio to the mixture? When you pour it into the battery, do you put it in all separately in certain proportions?
                  I pour detergent in first, it takes awhile for it to settle. Then I run some tap water over the holes for a second. No true ratio but i would say 70% detergent 30% tap water. I then wipe off the excess off the battery and clean it.

If find that the newly created clean battery needs a charge put into it from another battery but for some odd reason its not draining the battery that's charging it. It could be a fluke but I report what i see.

Thank you for commenting.

Comment

Interesting. I'm going to try this as well. Thanks for sharing the info!

Comment

So I Ran the test once more. Here are the notes i took last night.

9:05 pm is the start of charging battery starting voltage on primary battery is 11.78V
                      9:22 PM batteries are disconnected.
                      lead acid battery is at 10.21V and the clean battery is at 6.91 volts
                      we will let the clean battery run all night and we will see where the lead acid battery is at in the morning once again. The LED is super bright.

I let the LED run all night, it was very bright, I could clearly see around the room and make things out. I could also read by the light too. I disconnected the LED and the primary battery, the one that charges the clean battery, is at 11.72 volts now. The clean battery is at 4.23V after a 30 minute rest.

So from this it doesn't take much to charge the clean battery, about 20 minutes and the LED runs all night and the primary battery returns to its standing voltage it had from the start. Since it doesn't take much time to charge this battery I'm thinking about using a 2.5 solar panel attached to the window on the inside of the house. The panel will get just enough power to charge the battery for the night. Probably only need to have the panel on for a hour or two get 10 hours of light from a group of LED's. Or i could continue doing using the lead acid battery to charge the clean battery at no cost to the lead acid battery?

Comment

The voltage on the primary battery that charges the clean battery is now at 11.76 and the voltage on the clean battery is 4.05. I'm going to do my charging of the clean battery from the the primary battery and then I'll run the LED all night again. Its nice having the LED run all night, it gives a nice warm glow to the room. Plus the LED is nice to have going when you have to wake up before the sun does. But once again the voltage on the primary is still above the original standing voltage of 11.66 volts which is spectacular for me. I think i like the idea of using a solar panel to charge the clean battery but so far it doesn't seem needed as the battery charging from the primary seems to be working fine. I think i might try a 9 volt battery or one of those small 12 volt battery that are the size of a AA battery. The smaller batteries should show a decrease in power quicker if there is one.

Comment

I was wondering, does anyone know if charging these crystal lead acid cells to a higher voltage will damage them? I've been conditioning a new small lead acid cell, and it's now charging up to 16.5 volts, but of course resting it drops down to around 8 volts. It seems the more charge and discharge cycles it goes through, the better it gets. I attached a graph of a rundown using a load of 50 leds in parallel, over a course of about 7 1/2 hours. The amp draw started around 200mA and by the end fell to 10mA.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Freezer; 08-30-2012, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Here's a graph of another rundown with the same load, one cycle later.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Freezer View Post
                              I was wondering, does anyone know if charging these crystal lead acid cells to a higher voltage will damage them? I've been conditioning a new small lead acid cell, and it's now charging up to 16.5 volts, but of course resting it drops down to around 8 volts. It seems the more charge and discharge cycles it goes through, the better it gets. I attached a graph of a rundown using a load of 50 leds in parallel, over a course of about 7 1/2 hours. The amp draw started around 200mA and by the end fell to 10mA.
                              I'm not sure? What mix are you using? I think if you put too much power through it it will eat up the water in it.

Comment

Working...
                              X