Modified 3p kit with cap dump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modified 3p kit with cap dump

I finally found a way to get my old 3p kit to do some useful work!

The magnets are replaced with weaker ones and there are six.

I put a single transistor and the output is not standard, I'm using a bridge (spin off from Tesla node) and 33kuf cap.

With this cap I pull half an amp to get the cap to dump at around 24v every 1.5 seconds.

This machine would not charge up anything very well previously but now it handles a variety of batteries. I have not put anything larger than a 17AH on it yet but even if that is the best it can do I am happy.

Here is a video of it:

https://files.secureserver.net/0sU5YPmb8nK0ma
    Last edited by BobZilla; 05-26-2014, 07:27 AM.

Hi Bob,
    is this file only 32mb?
    when I launch the file w/ GOM player it plays, however, it shows that it's only half of the video.
    nice work w/ the arduino. Kind Regards,
    Patrick A.

Originally posted by BobZilla View Post
    I finally found a way to get my old 3p kit to do some useful work!

The magnets are replaced with weaker ones and there are six.

I put a single transistor and the output is not standard, I'm using a bridge (spin off from Tesla node) and 33kuf cap.

With this cap I pull half an amp to get the cap to dump at around 24v every 1.5 seconds.

This machine would not charge up anything very well previously but now it handles a variety of batteries. I have not put anything larger than a 17AH on it yet but even if that is the best it can do I am happy.

Here is a video of it:

Comment

I think the hosting site may have issues today. I just checked and the file is 55.1MB

Going to post link again in case something is going whacky:

Comment

Hi Bob,
        I will start playing with Arduino Based Cap Pulsers soon. Would you please share the Arduino Sketch to the community?
        The plan is creating a self steering controller based on voltages. The Arduino seems to be perfectly equipped for that. Once it is ready I will make the Sketch available to everyone interrested.

regards
        Ralf

Comment

Hi Ralf,
          For a basic dump is is super easy, no more than a modified blink sketch really. I am not making any higher functions like a comparator just high/low times on a pin that drives my FET.

Of course it depends on your cap size and how fast and strong your feeding it but a good place to start is go low delay 1500 then high delay 75. You just need to play with it a bit but it is just a simple loop.

I did give an example of a complicated loop in this thread:
          http://www.energyscienceforum.com/showthread.php?t=1110

I later figured out some better times and method but you get the idea of what I was doing when you look at that.

If your into the aurduino you might like this post here too, it is not a cap dump but rather a trigger controller.

http://www.energyscienceforum.com/showthread.php?t=1860
          Last edited by BobZilla; 08-21-2014, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Hi Bob,
            I see you are playing already a long time with the Arduino and Caps - is the circuit so reliable that there is no protection required for the Cap?
            In the past I've seen lots of Caps exploding from too much voltage. For my Pulser I plan to limit it with SCR and Zener to 45V. My Caps are rated at 50V, 68kuF - I don't want to come back to the room after they died ;-)

regards
            Ralf

Comment

Hi Ralf,
              You are right, I have put arduino controlled cap dumps on many of my systems, some solid state, some large wheels, small wheels.

As I said I am not using any complicated logic so it is up too me to set the proper time to load and dump the cap. What I do is put an analog needle type voltage meter on the cap and then fine tune my dump time. Don't use digital meters for this because they average their output and it lies. Better to see the needle jumping around.

The best way when you first start setting one up is to make your off time very short so that it does not have time to build up much, then adjust it longer and longer until you get to where you want to be. I have used 15kuf, 33kuf, 60kuf, 66kuf, 99kuf.

Depending on your target battery you will choose the size that will work best. A smaller one fills up faster so if you need higher frequency on the dumps go with a small one, conversely a larger one packs a harder punch but your machine cannot fill it as fast so it takes longer to fill.

Generally speaking i can dump a small one 33kuf about 2 or three times per second. 60k or larger I get into second , second and a half or more. Most batteries seem to like a faster dump over a more powerful one so it is a trade off between the punching power and how fast you can dump.

I would try to keep your circuit as un-cluttered as possible. Every extra component you ad such as zeners and scr's will take from the system but it's your rig and I am looking forward to seeing your work.

For my system I will feed the output of a machine directly to cap, sometimes in mode one, others in gen mode, but to the cap and then at least two FETS sometimes more are handling the current of the dumps. I ALWAYS switch on the neg rail, so pos of target and cap are always connected and the neg rail is what is switched across the FET. The arduino has an external power supply (sometimes I use a genny coil to supply it but it is separate from the circuit being passed through the FETS, that is important when working with the arduino. most of the time I just use a USB phone booster.

Comment

Working...
              X