Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should brand new batteries reach topping voltage (15.2V)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should brand new batteries reach topping voltage (15.2V)

I watched Aaron's recent video. Aaron explained as the impedance dropped charging the DieHard batttery, that voltage dropped to about 13.5 and then climbed again.

Coincidentally I was charging a brand new 65ah deep cycle battery for a few hours using my Solar Tracker V S10A12 when I watched this. The solar panel puts out about 16.8V OCV in full sun and about 8Amps.

The battery is basically fully charged but only reaches about 13.5 in full sun (there is intermittent clouds today).

Is this typical behavior for a new battery? I know JB always says that having a high OCV is important so perhaps this has something to do with it?

Thanks

James

Hi James, sounds like your panel doesn't have a high enough OCV at only 16.8V. You need one that will put out a minimum of about 18.5 OCV. You saw that Aaron's put out about 21.1 under load.

Also if your battery is brand new it's likely that the plates have not fully formed yet. It will take 20+ cycles to do this.

John K.

Comment

Ok great thanks, panel is an cheap ebay second hand with some damage so would explain the OCV. I'll invest in something better and thanks for the tip about the batteries.

Comment

Working...
      X