* NEW * BEDINI RPX BOOK & DVD SET: BEDINI RPX

2019 ESTC ALL SEATS SOLD OUT!
PRE-REGISTER FOR THE
2020 ENERGY CONFERENCE

Monero XMR

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jelloir's SG Build

Jelloir's SG Build

This Easter long weekend I began my SG build and thought I would document my build progress.

To start with here is the frame (not yet complete). The wheel is just balancing for a picture and I haven't fixed the wooden struts for the wheel to the base yet. The plan is to have the struts for the wheels adjusteable so I can swap for a larger wheel easily if I want. I may also make the coil platform height adjusteable for fine tuning the space between the magnets and the coil. The base it a bit longer so I can fix my transistor board and comparator on the side for easy access.

By the way, anyone looking to build one, the teslagenx.com 8 transistor kit is a piece of cake to put together. Very glad I ordered that and my other components through them.

Build Pic 1.jpg

Build Pic 1_adjusteable_strut.jpg

James
    Last edited by jelloir; 04-18-2014 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Added pic of struts

The frame looks very nice!

Question about your wheel. It looks like you have attached a fixed axle to it , is that correct. Are those bearing housings in the picture? I'm curious about your axle and how you are mounting it. Could you elaborate on that a little, maybe get some closer pictures of the wheel?

Over all it looks like a great start for your project.

BobZilla, What your looking at are "pegs" for a BMX, they will be mounted with pipe holders. I am going to place a thin piece of rubber between the pegs and the pipe holders so they grip well and reduce a little bit of vibration.

pegs.jpg

pipeholder.jpg

Mounted Magnets

For the 24 magnets I created a 15 template using some card paper and marked the rim of the wheel. Magnets now mounted!

mountedmagnets.jpg

15template.jpg

Ahh ok now I got you. I did not realize they made pegs with such a large diameter. When I was a kid I did some free-styling but the pegs were narrow, almost like a bunch of nuts just welded together.

Your magnets look just a bit close together but hopefully it will not be a problem. It is a very nice looking build. Can't wait to see you do your first runs with it.

Thanks for the feedback BobZilla. I'm a little concerned about the magnet spacing now, SG beginner book says 24 magnets on a 20" bike wheel, but also states 3" spacing. I guess I will run it and alter the spacing if required.

Coil Platform and Wheel Mounted

Just a quick couple of updates. I remembered I had some nylon nuts and thread so used them to create a spring loaded platform so I can adjust my coil height easily. Plan is to insert a wood shim and then screw the base down again against the shim. I can see myself being tempted to adjust while it's running but must resist that urge Also mounted my wheel after finding a scrap bit of rubber at the hardware store.

nylonscrewscoilbase.jpg

wheelmounted.jpg

24 seems a bit hi, On a 26 inch wheel 21 magnets will give you 3.9 inch spacing, its a matter of a decent south between the norths.

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Smile Its Alive

It's 2am and I couldn't wait any longer and decided to connect some dodgy batteries and cables and spin up! Need to get some good batteries and re-cable everything with the 6mm cable I have lying on the floor. Think the wheel might need more balancing, but it's humming along ok, hell yeah!

Soon I'll have my comparator on there once it's tidied up. I have a tachometer and clampmeter ordered, sweet!!

I'll get a vid done soon also, but need some shut eye.

itsalive.jpg

nice build, great work, I really like how you mounted the axle, elegant and effective.
    Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers