Bedini RPX Sideband Generator

* NEW * BEDINI RPX BOOK & DVD SET: BEDINI RPX

2019 ESTC ALL SEATS SOLD OUT!
PRE-REGISTER FOR THE
2020 ENERGY CONFERENCE

Monero XMR

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jelloir's SG Build

Thanks for the comments! I created a short vid of it running. Seems to be working ok.

Thanks JB for releasing this to the public, legend!

Edit: The charge battery in the vid must have a shorted cell, but the machine still works ok.

James
    Last edited by jelloir; 04-24-2014 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Add edit about charge battery short

James
    very nice [THE POSTER CHILD OF SSG]

That is a great job, very nice!

One thing I want to mention too you, may or may not be a problem but you should be aware of it. I notice you have that thing right up there next too your computer which means two things to me, the computer and yourself are going to be bombarded with pulsing magnetic fields. You may like it but the PC may not ;-)

*EDIT*
    I mention it because I have messed up a laptop doing the same thing, but I also have another one which has never had a problem. I think some hard drives may have shielding and others don't.

As far as human exposure, it does bother some people and others do not notice anything. The frequency you are running at has a lot to do with it too.
    Last edited by BobZilla; 04-26-2014 at 10:09 AM.

Thanks again BobZilla, I have moved it to the floor now. I sprinted in to my room last night after hearing "tap, tap, tap, tap" thinking a magnet was about to punt itself to Tasmania through my wall but thankfully it was just the end of the tape a little loose, so I sorted that.

Some initial results to share and some questions, feel free to offer some insight as I don't have much yet I'm only playing around and won't seriously start testing until I my tachometer, clampmeter, etc arrives. I also feel I need to get comfortable with how it runs as well.

• It draws almost 2 amps. Seems like a lot?
    • Changed the magnets to an odd number 17 around the rim, this leaves about 2.5 magnet widths between magnets and properly balanced my wheel again. It seemed to like this.
    • Purchased 2 brand new 65AH deep cycle batteries, I am using this for testing my S10A12 Solar Tracker and the SSG, I understand they need to be formed. Are these a bit big for the SSG? It does charge them, albeit slowly.
    • Pulses from the comparator reach approx. 26.5V, 4 amps ever 1 second. This is just the current [pun intended ] setting and I have be non-experimentally altering the pulse rate.
    • It seems to change gear as it spins up? It sounds kind of clunky, the amp meter needle waves back and forward but once it reaches the gear change point it kicks up a notch and starts purring to it's maximum rpm. I noticed that I need to leave the pulse period on the comparator longer or it takes longer to reach this point (or not at all).

I finished watching EFV 33, 34 and I am considering swapping the wheel for a 26" rim I have from an old bike. I will test the smaller wheel but given it''s easy to change wheels I figured I may as well.

So far I am pleased with how its running but imagine there is rabbit hole of tweaks ahead for me.

James
    Last edited by jelloir; 04-28-2014 at 02:34 AM.

Hi James,
    2 amps is not too bad for an 8 tranny setup like yours. You can adjust it a but but as you said you will have months of fun learning how little changes affect things. It is just something that we learn from experience.

You should be able to charge the 65AH batteries, I charge 75AH and 100AH with my system. When running with the comparator you may find that you need to find the right balance between the frequency of the dump and getting it to charge. Let me explain from my experience.

I do not have a comparator like you have but my setup works in a similar way. I use an aurduino micro controller to set the timing of my dumps and have a meter to see the voltage so for my setup it is a manual adjustment. In other words mine does not have the logic to dump at "X" voltage, I adjust the time in ms and get it to dump where I want. With that said I generally will dump about as your does, 25-30 volts.

Now what I was getting at is I have found that there needs to be a balance of how much amperage the dump has and how often. If you have say 10a but only every 2 seconds it might not be enough to keep the charge moving, it will just sort of slosh back and fourth. On the other hand if you go too quickly say every half second, you will not get enough amperage to move it. Your system is different from mine but the point is depending on the size of the battery there are factors to consider, time between dumps AND the capacity of the dump (and of course voltage). To much or too little of either and you may not charge.

Anyway it is just something to keep in mind. Your comparator works differently in that you set a voltage and it takes care of the timing. For mine I can swap out capacitors and adjust the timing to get what I need to charge. Smaller cap = faster dumps at a voltage,, larger cap = slower dumps at same voltage but more amps.

Over all I think you are off to a great start and you will have a lot of fun with this. Don't sweat every detail, just learn from the machine. The gears switching is because of the impedance fluctuation in the cap and the rpm at startup. It is completely normal. If you were to install a pot in your trigger and run without the comparator you will get a better understanding of all that. When it is in first gear basically you are double spiking because of an induction tickling the base a second time.

Have fun man, you have built a great machine and it will serve you well!

I got my tachometer and I'm getting about 435 RPM on the 20", 17 magnet bike wheel, which seems good.

Thanks for the detailed insight, its much appreciated. I am beginning to understand the pulse rate and current to battery correlation. John's analogy of kicking the soccer ball from the EFV dvd was useful to me also. Give the ions a big kick and as they are slowing down kick them again!

I bought a 85A, 1200V diode so I can give generator mode 2 and mode 4 a try. Is there something about mode 4 (gen mode to charge cap) that means you wouldn't usually use it? It seems like it turbo charges the SSG and can maintain the run battery as well, my eyes were popping out of my head when John was showing that on the DVD.

Hi jelloir,

85 A 1200V why so much over rated Diode....reserve these for E.V Gray Experiments..
    Rgs,
    Faraday88.

Hi Guys, Just a little update on my progress thus far, managed to get a few golf cart batteries to attempt to rejuvenate. I'll look at the whole COP thing once I have my new batteries formed.

Loving it!

Looking good James!

I don't know how much you know about rejuvenating them but a little advice...

If they are really sulphated they will be sluggish to take on the charge but it you get a small load like an auto bulb or something like that and just keep pulling a bit off then back to the charge, then pull a bit off then back again and so on it will start the process to where they will start to take more of a charge. It is sort of like giving them a little warm up exercise. They may top out at only 12.5 or lower and the chart goes flat, that is fine if you keep at it they will improve.

In some ways I think it is more fun to take an old crusty battery and whip it back to life than it is to get brand new ones.