Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proof that flyback is enough to sustain a self-runner

Hey there all,

Here is the rundown: I built a simple pulse motor similar to the one Lidmotor has. I have dubbed it "The Simple Amazing Pulse Motor". I have been playing with it for a week or so now. I actually got it tuned to the point where it is no longer draining the battery I have connected. The battery is a single-cell NiMH 1.2V 2000mAH. I have made a video of it for all to check out. I am going to leave it running until something happens to stop this effect from manifesting, whether that be a cat messing with it, the nail-axle that I'm using breaking free from it's position, or whatever else may happen to mess up my tuning. Right now, it is all about the positioning of the reed switch that matters... Once I got the device to create/allow the flyback to make it back to the battery every single time the magnetic field of the coil collapsed, the effect began manifesting itself.

I wanted to start a thread for this device so I could share it with you all, and so I can better understand exactly what is happening, and what the factors are that matter most in re-creating this effect. I will gladly take more video for you all, and draw up to-scale diagrams of the parts necessary to attempt a recreation of it if you would like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AMHdxCbo3g

(sorry for the narrow vid, I only have my cell phone camera to use for now - at least it's HD though! )

It's now about 2 hours since I made that vid, and it vibrated the wire out of position a little, but fortunately I was able to get it back into sync. I got smart enough to put a dab of hot glue to hold it in place. Let's see how long this little baby will keep it up!!

Nice work Vortex,
    Most people do not take the time to tune those inductors they way you did. That is one of the things I had to do to get Ricks 3PM kit to work. You are right, time will tell. Any chance for future vids you might turn turn your camera on its side when you record, or does it not spin the image? Either way, thanks for sharing your build.
    Kind Regards,
    Patrick

Originally posted by VortexTurtle View Post
    Hey there all,

Here is the rundown: I built a simple pulse motor similar to the one Lidmotor has. I have dubbed it "The Simple Amazing Pulse Motor". I have been playing with it for a week or so now. I actually got it tuned to the point where it is no longer draining the battery I have connected. The battery is a single-cell NiMH 1.2V 2000mAH. I have made a video of it for all to check out. I am going to leave it running until something happens to stop this effect from manifesting, whether that be a cat messing with it, the nail-axle that I'm using breaking free from it's position, or whatever else may happen to mess up my tuning. Right now, it is all about the positioning of the reed switch that matters... Once I got the device to create/allow the flyback to make it back to the battery every single time the magnetic field of the coil collapsed, the effect began manifesting itself.

I wanted to start a thread for this device so I could share it with you all, and so I can better understand exactly what is happening, and what the factors are that matter most in re-creating this effect. I will gladly take more video for you all, and draw up to-scale diagrams of the parts necessary to attempt a recreation of it if you would like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AMHdxCbo3g

(sorry for the narrow vid, I only have my cell phone camera to use for now - at least it's HD though! )

It's now about 2 hours since I made that vid, and it vibrated the wire out of position a little, but fortunately I was able to get it back into sync. I got smart enough to put a dab of hot glue to hold it in place. Let's see how long this little baby will keep it up!!

Comment

Originally posted by min2oly View Post
      Nice work Vortex,
      Most people do not take the time to tune those inductors they way you did. That is one of the things I had to do to get Ricks 3PM kit to work. You are right, time will tell. Any chance for future vids you might turn turn your camera on its side when you record, or does it not spin the image? Either way, thanks for sharing your build.
      Kind Regards,
      Patrick
      Patrick,
      Good idea with the cam, I will give it a try with the next vid and see if it works.
      The effect that I was getting with the flyback stopped about two hours after I posted it, probably since I didn't glue the wire in place until after it moved a little and the battery voltage had already dropped to 1.229V. However, once I had secured it in place last night, I decided to stop messing with it and leave it until today. I let that battery run down, and this morning I put a fresh charged battery in and just let it run..... I believe it has something to do with the battery voltage, since it has now been back at 1.233V again for the last hour or so. I guess I shall see what happens this time, now that I have the wire secured and reed switch is apparently in position!
      I've been playing with the Slayer Exciter all day today so far, and I've managed to get a small one set up in such a way that it will light a HV Argon-filled 'neon-style' bulb, a 100W HPS bulb, a 15W incandescent, and of course the standard fluorescents (4W, 13W, and 23W). The plasma inside the 15W incandescent is by far the coolest looking in my opinion, since it's all clear and the plasma is bright blue with streamers. I'm uploading the vids of it now.. (probably nothing other people haven't already seen, but I just wanted to make a couple vids of it for my own record, so I can remember specifically how I had it set up so I can replicate later)
      --Brian

Comment

Working...
      X