No announcement yet.

Bedini wheel is not spinning :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also connect mine straight to the transistor's emitter and collector now as I have never had any luck the other way.

Save The Planet.

Comment

Originally posted by bobhope View Post
      Greetings,
      You do need to change the diode wire to back. I have seen daftmans schematics with the change and John is correct it wont protect the chip that way.
      I blew 5 chips before I found this.

Also, I'm Pretty sure you need two batteries as you connect the coil's power + to + and - with a wire split in a Y on the run and charge battery.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3159[/ATTACH]

Hope this Helps.
      Thanks for that Bob!! Really appreciator it!

Comment

Originally posted by John_Koorn View Post
        Marine, rule #1. NEVER RUN YOUR MACHINE WITHOUT A CHARGE BATTERY!

Why? Because the machine generates very high voltage spikes that will destroy the transistor if the energy has nowhere to go.
        The neon bulb is there to protect the transistor to some degree if you "accidentally" disconnected the charge battery, but it must be connected directly to the emitter and collector pins of the transistor.

Since you have more than likely blown your transistor, please replace it with either a 2N3055 or an MJL21194. The TIP3055 is under-rated for this application.

John K.
        Thanks again John! I knew what the neon was for, just didn't know it was wired wrong. I'm surprised Daftman didn't update his video seeing as it's quite old now. Also it's odd that he showed it working with it wired wrong lol.
        I'll order up the MJL21194 instead of the other one then. Thanks for that!
        Yeah i kinda knew you should use 2 batteries. I just thought it would be ok briefly to see the wheel spinning and let the neon take the hit. Obviously not lol. Thanks again guys. Very helpful. I'll let you know how i get on when i make the changes.

Comment

I've run on to the same problem as what started this thread. I built the basic ssg circuit but used 2n3055 transistor, and used a coil I purchased from Renaissance Charge. It's described as 100 feet parallel coils of eight #23 magnet wire. I've verified the wiring, that the magnets have north facing out, and the magnets are C8.
          I can feel some slight attraction between the magnets and the coil but it just snaps to the nearest magnet and won't go any farther.

Comment

so you are using 1 transistor and 1 wire for the trigger and 1 wire for the power? or are you using all 7 as one bundled wire for the power? or do you have a 7 transistor machine, bit more info please...

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

It's alive!!!! IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MUAWHAHAHAHAHA
              Well i changed the chips as i had blatantly blown it the first time around. I hooked up a second identical battery that i had to buy and it seems to be running fine now. When i hooked up the 2 battery's it wasn't working and then i realized that i had the positive and negative leads from the input battery going into the circuit backwards lol. I can't however determine whether or not they were backwards at the time i first tried because i had taken all the wires apart many times since then. I'm pretty sure they weren't though. Anyway it's alive!!!
              It doesn't seem to spin very fast though. Although i haven't properly balanced it yet. I'm assuming to do that i just allow the wheel to settle which should be at the heaviest point, and then just super glue some weight to the opposite side?? Is that how you do it? Or would i have to space it around evenly somehow?
              It's nice to see it all working though. It's funny how the simplest of things can put a smile on a man childs face
              I look forward to tinkering with it and asking lots more stupid questions haha. Thanks all.
              One more question whilst i'm on, how do you measure the amps going into the charge battery and out of the run battery? I've tried every setting on my multi meter but can't seem to get a proper reading. Does this multi meter even have the right function on it? I'm new to multi meters as well! lol
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Digital-Multimeter-DT830B-.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	46096

Comment

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials...e-a-multimeter

Tom C

Comment

Thanks for the link tom. Just saw the video. I get how a multi meter works now pretty much. I knew how to select DC volts but that was it.
                  I still don't get where on the SG i put the test leads to check for the draw. I understand that the positive lead goes on the positive of the battery but where do i stick the other lead?

Comment

Also, any idea why my Ik Pot is not speeding up or slowing down the wheel? Turning the knob seems to do nothing. The wheel just spins at a constant speed?
                    Could i have fried that when i fried the first chip?

Comment

it goes in series on the primary battery positive wire. I dont know why your pot is not changing things there are lots of reasons. test it with your meter see if its good.
                      Tom C

Comment

Hi Marine,

I see that you are using TIP2N3055, Iguess you have to change it to simplly 2N3055 OR MJE 2N3055,
                        1)It is always good to see if the Transistor is triggering or not ???? : This ensures circuit bias is correct or not
                        2) if roation is not sustained despite of trigger working: there is imbalance
                        3)Magnet Orientation (all North): may be an issue for point 2 and /or weight as you describe.
                        check the above, should fix your problem with these in view..
                        Rgds,
                        Faraday88.
                        Last edited by Faraday88; 02-20-2014, 06:39 AM.
                        'Wisdom comes from living out of the knowledge.'

Comment

Originally posted by Tom C View Post
                          it goes in series on the primary battery positive wire. I dont know why your pot is not changing things there are lots of reasons. test it with your meter see if its good.
                          Tom C
                          Hi Tom. Could you be a bit more precise please. (still learning the basics) If i want to test the draw on the primary, where exactly would i put each test lead. The red lead on the positive terminal of the battery and the black lead where??

Comment

Originally posted by Faraday88 View Post
                            Hi Marine,

I see that you are using TIP2N3055, Iguess you have to change it to simplly 2N3055 OR MJE 2N3055,
                            1)It is always good to see if the Transistor is triggering or not ???? : This ensures circuit bias is correct or not
                            2) if roation is not sustained despite of trigger working: there is imbalance
                            3)Magnet Orientation (all North): may be an issue for point 2 and /or weight as you describe.
                            check the above, should fix your problem with these in view..
                            Rgds,
                            Faraday88.
                            Thanks for your reply Faraday but the problem has since been resolved. I have the bigger transistor on hand but another TI2N3055 seems to be holding fine for the time being. Will swap them soon though.
                            Any ideas how to balance the wheel one you know where the heavy end is?

Comment

Originally posted by Marine View Post
                              Hi Tom. Could you be a bit more precise please. (still learning the basics) If i want to test the draw on the primary, where exactly would i put each test lead. The red lead on the positive terminal of the battery and the black lead where??
                              Hi Marine, red test lead on run battery positive and black test lead goes to top wire of coil. Something like "Primary+----<O>-----Coil" (where <O> represents your meter.) Again, remove the wire that goes to primary + and insert meter in series between the battery and the wire that goes to primary +.

John K.

Comment

I balanced my wheel with hot glue. After half a minute it cools down and you can check if it was enough...

Ralf

Comment

Working...
                                X