Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bedini wheel is not spinning :(

Hi guys and girls.
    Just finished building my first wheel today. Went to fire it up and it's not spinning!
    The only thing that i know of is that the wheel is not balanced. It is slightly heavier at one end. Could this be why the wheel is not sinning? Or would an unbalanced wheel only hinder performance and not stop it completely?
    As far as i can see, my Daftman circuit is all wired up correctly. When i hook the battery up i hear a faint "clunk" and get a spark at the terminal so i'm assuming the circuit is fine?
    Any ideas???????

Anyone?

Comment

it all depends upon what you mean by unbalanced. if it is a few grams off no big deal, if its off a half a kilo then yes it wont work. check all your connections, make sure your transistor is wired correctly, check all of the individual components with your meter, check all the individual wires with your meter. standard electrical troubleshooting. Daftman uses the 2n3055 top hat transistor if I remember correctly, you may have your wires backwards.... coil wires may be backwards also. all your magnets may not be north out...... the list goes on and on if it aint workin you have something wrong.

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

Magnets are all North facing outward. Just read somewhere that the battery might be too small. It's a 12v 4.5ah. Could that be the main culprit. Will check the others you mentioned in the morning...

Comment

Marine,
          just for curiosity - did you launch the wheel by hand?
          Initial start has ALWAYS to be by hand!

Comment

lol yes i did do it by hand
            Is my battery too small?

Comment

Originally posted by Marine View Post
              lol yes i did do it by hand
              Is my battery too small?
              Hey Marine,

Understand your frustration, been there. Many members out there are willing to help, however at the beginning of a thread with a plea for help, you need to flesh out the picture of the problem and the SSG specs, saying 'Daftman build' doesn't really give a good picture of your SSG build without some serious effort. Many of us are new to this world and it is really tough to assess your problem (who is Daftman?) w/o some relevant data - for example, wheel size data, number of magnets, number of transistors etc.

No one can answer your battery question or starting problems w/o knowing the particulars of the build. So give us a clue and perhaps you can be helped to resolve your start up issues. We are not in your lab looking over your shoulder, so help the many volunteers out there in forum land with a clearer and more informative picture.

Appreciate your attention and your passion,
              Yaro
              Yaro

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -Neil Degrasse Tyson

Comment

i thought everyone knew Daftman? His youtube videos have more views than any other bedini video.
                Are my batteries too small?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	gallery_big1.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	46084
                  That is the daftman circuit. It's the bedini circuit basically just different diodes orsomething.
                  It's all wired up correctly.
                  When i spin the wheel, it starts juddering (cogging?) and slows down to a stop eventually. When i touch the coil after it is getting hot. Does that mean it's on and working properly or not?
                  I notice that the ti355 transistor gets warm/hot after only a spin of the wheel. Is that normal or not?
                  I am using a 12v 4.5ah sealed rechargeable battery. It is standing at 12.41v and when i hook it up to the circuit it stands at 11.8v. Is that normal?
                  To me it seems like every magnet is being attracted to the iron core in the coil as opposed to one being attracted and then the next being respelled when the circuit changes the polarity of the iron core.
                  Why is it not switching from north to south?
                  I have put all the magnets NORTH facing outwards which is towards the coil as bedini asks for. I didn't use a polarity finder i just threw one magnet up in the air several times to make sure the north landed face down every time. I am north of the equator so north should land first which it did. I used that magnet to determine north on all the others. Is that ok?

Comment

Marine,

How many meters is your Coil

Comment

Marine, sounds like your transistor is fried. Nothing should be getting hot at all, ever.

Do you have an amp meter? If so, place it in series with the run battery + and the wire going to the run winding. Do not spin the wheel. Does the amp meter show that the circuit is drawing current when the wheel is not turning?

If yes, you have either blown your transistor or you have a short circuit somewhere. Disconnect the batteries before something melts!

If no, you have something hooked up wrong.

BTW, the Daftman circuit you posted has the neon bulb on the wrong side of the 1N4007 diode. It's not going to protect the transistor connected like that.

John K.

Comment

No idea. It's 850 turns as Bedini asks for.

Comment

Originally posted by John_Koorn View Post
                          Marine, sounds like your transistor is fried. Nothing should be getting hot at all, ever.

Do you have an amp meter? If so, place it in series with the run battery + and the wire going to the run winding. Do not spin the wheel. Does the amp meter show that the circuit is drawing current when the wheel is not turning?

If yes, you have either blown your transistor or you have a short circuit somewhere. Disconnect the batteries before something melts!

If no, you have something hooked up wrong.

BTW, the Daftman circuit you posted has the neon bulb on the wrong side of the 1N4007 diode. It's not going to protect the transistor connected like that.

John K.
                          Hello John. Sorry i must have missed you post. Only just seen it. Thanks for that!! I'll check it out!
                          As for the neon that's strange? In his videos he shows it working.
                          I got a digital voltmeter, pretty sure it has amps on it. I'll check out what you said. Thanks.
                          As for the resistor, what would've fried it instantly?
                          I dont have a charge battery hooked up by the way. Only tried to run it with a run battery. Not sure if that has any relevance?

Comment

Greetings,
                            You do need to change the diode wire to back. I have seen daftmans schematics with the change and John is correct it wont protect the chip that way.
                            I blew 5 chips before I found this.

Also, I'm Pretty sure you need two batteries as you connect the coil's power + to + and - with a wire split in a Y on the run and charge battery.

Click image for larger version

Name:	theDaftmansetout2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	46085

Hope this Helps.
                            Last edited by bobhope; 02-15-2014, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Marine, rule #1. NEVER RUN YOUR MACHINE WITHOUT A CHARGE BATTERY!

Why? Because the machine generates very high voltage spikes that will destroy the transistor if the energy has nowhere to go.
                              The neon bulb is there to protect the transistor to some degree if you "accidentally" disconnected the charge battery, but it must be connected directly to the emitter and collector pins of the transistor.

Since you have more than likely blown your transistor, please replace it with either a 2N3055 or an MJL21194. The TIP3055 is under-rated for this application.

John K.

Comment

Working...
                              X