This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yoe777 View Post
    Why is just a 12v and 24v version of this tracker manufactured? Is there a benefit to going with 12v over 24v or vice versa? Why don't you create a 48v model to fit in with peoples existing installations?
    it is not that simple... my installation is 320 volts to the inverter. most small off the grid systems are 12 0r 24 volts, and panels come that way 12 or 24 volts. it is easy to size and install, higher voltage systems are not necessarily better as you have to step it down for appliances, etc. most rv and off the grid appliances run at 12 or 24 volts. most of the benefit comes from what you are designed for.. I would go 24 if I was starting from scratch with an otg setup as most appliances are available in 24 volt. you can also series more leds for lighting this way. Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

Tom C ... your at full PM storage capacity. What inverter would you recommend in a grid tied situation? And what would you recommend for a non grid tied situation?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	batteries3.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	45616

This was the way I was going to setup my battery bank. With this Tesla Technology would it make the benefits of doing this obsolete?

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2148[/ATTACH]

This was the way I was going to setup my battery bank. With this Tesla Technology would it make the benefits of doing this obsolete?
          a bank of batteries is never obsolete. not sure what you are asking about that. as for an inverter, outback, zantrex, sunny boy and fronius all make excellent products. I have a 5kw fronius grid tied inverter. has wireless communications i can look at energy output from my phone or pc. if you are going off the gris you need a charge controller/inverter combo. outback is the way I would go...

Tom C

Comment

I'm talking about the way the batteries are each connected to a terminal block as illustrated in the picture. There are benefits in doing this with a conventional solar setup. What I was asking are those benefits not required with the tesla tracker technology.

Comment

I'm talking about the way the batteries are each connected to a terminal block as illustrated in the picture. There are benefits in doing this with a conventional solar setup. What I was asking are those benefits not required with the tesla tracker technology.
              that way is still the best way. the important thing with terminal blocks and large wires is that everything is the same length. there is a lot of discussion on solar forums about battery cables routing. most of them have to do with where to put the positive and negatives from the panels so all batteries see the same thing.

Tom C

Comment

yes i am interested in 48v TST

Comment

Greetings all:

Recently, my RC2A12 bit the dust so I figured to repair it. Ain't happening because it is potted. I get the reason for it, and agree. (right up to the point where I can't fix mine. ;-) go figure. )

A solar tracker seems to be a good replacement since it could be used with my solar panels, but I have some questions.

If a volt is a volt is a volt, can an external power supply be connected to the device without harming it so long as the current supplied is within the rating of the solar tracker?

The 'works' in these are probably potted, so are they repairable by the manufacturer? Repairable at all?

If not repairable, could future editions be constructed with replaceable modules?

My point is: everything breaks, eventually. Spare parts, or modules, would be handy. I worked the RC2A12 hard and it gave good service but, knowing me, whatever I replace the thing with is going to have to be fixed sometime.

Also, since I have setups of various voltages, will the 24 volt input solar tracker still operate with only a 12 volt input?

I appreciate your input and work on this forum,

glen

Comment

Hi

I ordered a TST a while ago... mid July approximately. As I´m still waiting, I really have time to think about how it´s going to be...

Just wondering if I will need to put a second battery bank and a relay switching module between them and the inverter (Outback) for maximum desulph-rejuvenation benefits of the TRACKER, or if the 900Ahr bank can just stay connected as it is..
                    Thanks,

D.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominus View Post
                      Hi

I ordered a TST a while ago... mid July approximately. As I´m still waiting, I really have time to think about how it´s going to be...

Just wondering if I will need to put a second battery bank and a relay switching module between them and the inverter (Outback) for maximum desulph-rejuvenation benefits of the TRACKER, or if the 900Ahr bank can just stay connected as it is..
                      Thanks,

D.
                      Hi Dominus,

Did you order it through Tesla Chargers? If so, please email the support email that is shown on the banner at Tesla Chargers | World's Most Efficient, Effective & Advanced Battery Chargers for a status update.
                      Admin
                      Energy Science Forum

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT USING THIS FORUM, PLEASE READ THIS F.A.Q. FIRST. http://www.energyscienceforum.com/fa...=vb3_board_faq

Comment

Hi

No, I got it from sunlightbioelectric
                        Ok, now I'm getting what's going on exactly in the batteries, after watching Lindemann's conferences
                        The TST is pushing to 30V+ nicely

Comment

I have been reading up on AGM batteries and in several places they said they are sensitive to over charging above 2.4 volts per cell. they also said it would reduce the life span of the AGM battery by 60 percent if one goes over that value. So my question is , Is it safe to use the solar tracker on AGM bateries or use the 2A12 to charge the AGM batteries since the charger go way over that value. I'd hate to ruin all my AGM batteries.... I think it said the flooded cell lead acid batteries are not sensitive to the over charging.
                          I just ordered my first solar tracker and got a couple of solar panels to try out on my battery bank. Some good use cell tower batteries. I just watched battery secrets with Peter as well. Just wanting to get some close distinctions on the battery types and the charger compatibilities.
                          Last edited by vzon17; 11-17-2013, 12:39 AM.

Comment

S10a24

Hello,
                            about a year ago I purchased a S10A24. I use this charger to charge 4x Trojan L16 in series.
                            As a power source I'm using a variable powersupply with current limiter, and all goes well,
                            recently I was thinking
                            If it is possible to hook up a 12 Volt solar panel to charge a 12 Volt battery bank using my S10A24 ??
                            Who can help me with this ????
                            thank you in advance.

B

Comment

Originally posted by vzon17 View Post
                              I have been reading up on AGM batteries and in several places they said they are sensitive to over charging above 2.4 volts per cell. they also said it would reduce the life span of the AGM battery by 60 percent if one goes over that value. So my question is , Is it safe to use the solar tracker on AGM bateries or use the 2A12 to charge the AGM batteries since the charger go way over that value. I'd hate to ruin all my AGM batteries.... I think it said the flooded cell lead acid batteries are not sensitive to the over charging.
                              I just ordered my first solar tracker and got a couple of solar panels to try out on my battery bank. Some good use cell tower batteries. I just watched battery secrets with Peter as well. Just wanting to get some close distinctions on the battery types and the charger compatibilities.

Vson,

if you are going to use the solar tracker on AGM batteries, we can have energenx make one for you that has the voltage threshold set correctly for them. we have done this before. the trackers come set for flooded lead acid batteries.

Tom C

Comment

Originally posted by baywa1 View Post
                                Hello,
                                about a year ago I purchased a S10A24. I use this charger to charge 4x Trojan L16 in series.
                                As a power source I'm using a variable powersupply with current limiter, and all goes well,
                                recently I was thinking
                                If it is possible to hook up a 12 Volt solar panel to charge a 12 Volt battery bank using my S10A24 ??
                                Who can help me with this ????
                                thank you in advance.

B
                                no the voltage limiter on the 24 volt tracker has a finish voltage too high, and you wont have enough current on the primary side, the tracker may not even come on.

Tom C

Comment

Working...
                                X