No announcement yet.

Let's convert to a shaft and bearings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's convert to a shaft and bearings.

I just wanted to mount the wheel on my SG using the existing spindle and bearings. My free wheel time could be better. There has to be some resistance issues because the wheel seems slow but when spun by hand a little faster, it will sustain a higher speed at 270 rpm. I removed all bearings and grease and only use a slight bit of light oil and made sure that when I tightened all back up, i could spin the spindle freely. But still concerned about the free wheel time.

I think I'll venture forth and try out the shaft and bearings approach as the original design in the beginners book. It was noted a 3/8 inch shaft with bearings. Does anyone have any links to online websites to purchase shaft and bearings? and if so please give guidance what you feel is the best bearings.

Another thing I had thought of was to mount the wheel on metal or composite pillow blocks that will fit the bearings, has anyone else done this? I noticed that in the original patent SG it looks to me like a shaft and 4 bearings, 2 on each piece of wood block holding the wheel up. I not trying to change the design, I'm thinking that If I went with a composite pillow block to mount the shaft, it would be easier for me than how its done in the beginners book.

how tight are your hub nuts? loosen them until you can hear the bearings "click" a bit........ you dont need them tight as there is not a real load on them. you can get over 8 minutes with a standard bike wheel set of bearings.

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ssg.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	46041 That's my setup so far. Of course the batteries are hooked up, but I didn't put a shaft on it. This was a little before completion.

Tom, the hub nuts are not tight at all. It seems that in order to get better freewheeling, you have to tighten to the point where you have binding, and then back off a slight bit. After the removal of all the grease with solvent and the addition of wd-40, and before assembly, i can spin the spindle very freely and it just zips away. I do get the clicking sound in the bearings too yes. I will have to remove my coil and I will try again to see if I can work with it. I would just figure a pillow block and good bearings would help to decrease the slop that is in the spindle with the crappy basket bearings. Paul
      Last edited by Silver9; 01-22-2014, 01:12 PM.

Comment

most pillow block bearings have more resistance than bike wheel bearings... just an FYI you will have to take the shields off and take out the grease and replace with triflow or excel plus.

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

Thats the plan! Thanks for the advice Tom. Maybe its just personal thing but I just cant stand the sloppiness in the wheel and the clackity bearings.

Paul

Comment

Working...
          X