SS SSG Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SS SSG Question

Is there an output frequency we should be aiming at? If the answer is that it depends on what I'm charging, it's a 20AH FLA.
    Currently running at 45hz and not seeing much charging. That's why I ask.
    thanks,
    h

Howard,

this really depends on your build. However my builds usually run at 1-4 khz. Are you using a cap-diode mod?
    45 hz seems really low though..
    JB has mentioned running at 25khz and getting good results, I have not been able to reproduce good charging at those frequencies.

Comment

Floris,
      Thanks for answering. I am using Cap-diode mod. Since writing this I'm running at 2Khz and getting better charging but still have my 8AH primary falling faster than my previously conditioned 8.5AH secondary. I was previously focused on trying to get the same frequency that I got with a rotary SG and thought that was important giving Peter L's statement about the need for a "rest" period between pulses. I just didn't know what kind of period is significant to a Lead ion. Your answer tells me I can look to higher frequencies than I previously thought.
      Thanks,
      h

Comment

Hi Guys

Can anyone please explain the "Cap-diode" connection to the ss ssg !

Theunis
        Hey !
        WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH THE PORTION OF SOLAR ENERGY THAT WAS ALLOCATED TO YOU TODAY? !
        JUST THINK ABOUT IT . . .

Comment

Theunis,
          If Patrick doesn't answer here, check out his youtube video. He goes by the name min2oly. He shows the wiring diagram.
          h

Comment

frequency...... well it depends upon the resonant state of the battery. what frequency causes the ions to move but not the electrons. different for every battery for sure. voltages will make a difference also. I can guaranty a 6 volt trojan L16 will have a different frequency than a 7 ah sla.... watch height and the ring on the spike the coil will go into resonance with the battery.

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

Ss ssg

@Howard
              Thanks for getting back to me bud, (attached a circuit I think is Patrick’s,)

@ The Guys

Couple of newbie questions.
              Re: the attached circuit,
              1. Please confirm the primary battery is the wrong way round in this circuit ?
              2. What do I need to change to make this circuit run/using 24v primary and secondaries?
              3. Does the start wire on a coil go to the primary battery positive or does it go to the collector on the transistor, which is recommended?

I have built an SS SSG circuit using one of my SSG coils, I was using an old FLA 150 amp truck battery still well sulfated as primary and charging a SLA 12v 8 amp battery, I connected a UF5408 diode on the trigger going to the base of the transistors and the same value caps 3000uF 350V caps as indicated in the circuit.

At 12 v 400 mA, the caps immediately increased the charging rate on the secondary, and after a while I could see the primary battery starting to cold boil slowly as if it is taking a charge.

Question:
              4. When current is drawn from a primary battery (like in this case) is it nomal for the primary battery to cold boil. (bubble) or does this only happen when it is charging?
              5. If it is the latter was this actually charging the primary battery, the primary battery standing voltage dropped from 12.39v after 12 hours to 12.36v, and after 12 hours to 12.31v while drawing 400 mA to charge some SLA batteries every 12 hours.

Thanks

Theuns
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Prinsloo; 09-27-2012, 12:35 PM.
              Hey !
              WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH THE PORTION OF SOLAR ENERGY THAT WAS ALLOCATED TO YOU TODAY? !
              JUST THINK ABOUT IT . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Tom C View Post
                .... watch height and the ring on the spike the coil will go into resonance with the battery. Tom C
                Hi Tom. Please can you explain what you mean by this a bit more .. how do we know when the coil is in resonance with the battery? Rob

Comment

The battery has an impedance, the coil has an impedance, at a certain frequency the coil and the battery go into resonance, that is a sweet spot on a rotored SG the rpm goes up and the current drops, and the charge rate goes up. it is like a LC circuit or an LCR circuit. do some research on those circuits you can see how in those circuits when it goes into resonance you can do work like light a light bulb for much less joules than you normally would use. it is like the top and bottom of a drum head in resonance. the coil is one head, the battery is another.

leedskalnin says to "ring the bell twice"

Tom C

Comment

Thanks Tom. I didn't realise the sweet spot is the coil resonating with the battery, I had presumed that it was the coil resonating with itself. I got quite good at finding te sweet spot on the old SSG, but have moved on to a solid state now, and am wondering how you know when this is in resonance, as the sweet spot method does not seem to apply. I'll have a look at LC and LCR circuits like you suggest.

I was watching one of Blackchissels videos last night, and he was popping the core in and out of his coil, which resulted in the frequency halving and doubling. When I try this, the frequency shifts from about 20hz to about 1.4kHz, which is a radically different effect to what he was getting. I believe he was using AWG18 @ 120ft compared with my AWG23 @ 150ft. It feels unlikely though that this would produce such a massive difference. Puzzling .. R

Comment

Originally posted by Rob_Esq View Post
                      Thanks Tom. I didn't realise the sweet spot is the coil resonating with the battery, I had presumed that it was the coil resonating with itself. I got quite good at finding te sweet spot on the old SSG, but have moved on to a solid state now, and am wondering how you know when this is in resonance, as the sweet spot method does not seem to apply. I'll have a look at LC and LCR circuits like you suggest.

I was watching one of Blackchissels videos last night, and he was popping the core in and out of his coil, which resulted in the frequency halving and doubling. When I try this, the frequency shifts from about 20hz to about 1.4kHz, which is a radically different effect to what he was getting. I believe he was using AWG18 @ 120ft compared with my AWG23 @ 150ft. It feels unlikely though that this would produce such a massive difference. Puzzling .. R
                      An Air core coil will resonate at a much higher frequency as it is not having to magnetize and de magnetize a core. Inductance in henries plays a much more important role in air core coils.
                      Magnetic core - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia you can see from this article how important the core of a coil can be, and how much it affects operation.

There is probably a perfect mathematical formula that can be used to explain why your coil is doing what it is doing.
                      Tom C

Tom C

Comment

Tuning:

I have built two of these units. One with the MJ15024Gs with small 30 ga. coils, and one with MJL21194s and a much larger coil 22ga.

Tuning was done by connecting the output to the battery(ies), then adjusting the pot until the maximum charging rate was achieved. Then, the pot was removed and replaced with a fixed resistor of the appropriate value.

I'm experimenting now with a capacitor across the input, hoping to grab any voltage that is output by the solar array.

glen

Comment

Working...
                        X