* NEW * BEDINI RPX BOOK & DVD SET: BEDINI RPX

2019 ESTC ALL SEATS SOLD OUT!
PRE-REGISTER FOR THE
2020 ENERGY CONFERENCE

Monero XMR

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SS SSG Question

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_Esq View Post
    Thanks Tom. I didn't realise the sweet spot is the coil resonating with the battery, I had presumed that it was the coil resonating with itself. I got quite good at finding te sweet spot on the old SSG, but have moved on to a solid state now, and am wondering how you know when this is in resonance, as the sweet spot method does not seem to apply. I'll have a look at LC and LCR circuits like you suggest.

I was watching one of Blackchissels videos last night, and he was popping the core in and out of his coil, which resulted in the frequency halving and doubling. When I try this, the frequency shifts from about 20hz to about 1.4kHz, which is a radically different effect to what he was getting. I believe he was using AWG18 @ 120ft compared with my AWG23 @ 150ft. It feels unlikely though that this would produce such a massive difference. Puzzling .. R
    An Air core coil will resonate at a much higher frequency as it is not having to magnetize and de magnetize a core. Inductance in henries plays a much more important role in air core coils.
    Magnetic core - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia you can see from this article how important the core of a coil can be, and how much it affects operation.

There is probably a perfect mathematical formula that can be used to explain why your coil is doing what it is doing.
    Tom C

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Tuning:

I have built two of these units. One with the MJ15024Gs with small 30 ga. coils, and one with MJL21194s and a much larger coil 22ga.

Tuning was done by connecting the output to the battery(ies), then adjusting the pot until the maximum charging rate was achieved. Then, the pot was removed and replaced with a fixed resistor of the appropriate value.

I'm experimenting now with a capacitor across the input, hoping to grab any voltage that is output by the solar array.

glen