Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 160 Amp solar Tracker 5

hi Everyone,

We had a customer order a 160 amp solar tracker 5. chuck has asked me to post a picture of it for everyone to see their work. this unit comes with a battery voltage monitor which is a very nice feature to have. This unit will push some serious current! being cycle tested right now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	trackr5.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	51097

Tom C
    Last edited by Tom C; 01-17-2014, 06:44 PM.

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Way cool.....

Now, have Chuck explain how the battery charging part works on the Tracker 5's...... is it based on one of JB's patents with their Known benefits to the battery's, or a straight DC charge.....???
    Last edited by RS_; 01-17-2014, 09:27 PM.

Comment

This is a serious solar charger designed for a big system. It is a fan cooled Wakefield heat sink system. It is basically a linear amplifier. If you want to learn about the technology behind this BALL BUSTER come to the science and technology conference this June in Hayden Idaho. You can order this charger from any of the vendors. Teslagenx.com teslachargers.com or energenx.com

Comment

Tom you can post the other pictures if you want.

Comment

This unit is available in 12 or 24 volt.

Comment

Name:	tracker 5 left side.jpg
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	46018Click image for larger version

Name:	tracker 5 right side.jpg
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	46019

Here you go chuck.

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	46020

Here is a audio linear class A amplifier that John built. Basically the solar charger circuit. Just one of the many things you can do with linear power amplifiers. You can hear this unit at the conference in June.

Comment

Nope. Not mosfets.

Comment

To all,
                  Again this is a liner regulator amplifier, does not use Moss-Fets as they would fail under the power needed at a DC voltage level. This is very close to what the government may use in the solar generators in the field. They use fold up panels that use low light so they can charge on cloudy days.They do not average anything, they just push the power right to the batteries. I have said before in another posts that the devices are all selected high power P devices each one is rated for 16 amperes at 15 volts and 7 amps at 30 volts the panels must be able to push the charge regulator to over 35.3 volts for a 24 volt system. At 12 volts the panel must push around 20 volts. cooling is done using a Wakefield type wind tunnel arrangement this also cools the emitter resistors fusing is done by a fuse wire and internal current clamping circuits within the liner amp circuit. Comparator circuits show the state of charge on the battery. The main thing with off the grid is you must push the batteries as fast as you can so you can have reserve power at night. A battery of 12 volts is not charged at 13.8 volts, it must be at 15 volts to be charged. If your system only reaches 13.8 volts then your batteries will sulfate and become useless over a short time.
                  John B
                  John Bedini
                  My homepage: http://johnbedini.net

Comment

I had to look up what a linear regulator was, as I wasn't familiar. So, does the tracker take the input, regulate the voltage so it is a steady constant voltage, and then amplify that? So instead of high voltage spikes you have one continuous high voltage? And is this regulator adjusting to the load (batteries)?

I am reading there is a lot of waste heat usually with linear regulators coming from the transistor. Is that what the huge fan is for?

Comment

Branch,
                      Sorry, but it depends on how the circuit operates and yes the Wakefield keeps the devices cool. This unit has real good efficiency considering the Solar Panels and cable losses. I have had no complaints except for the fan that must be used. Most of then are in Russia in Siberia, they operate in the extreme cold. They are mounted by the batteries away from everything. The tracker adjust to the load so the batteries are always receiving a charge, so working under load. If you had a power transformer about 70 pounds at the proper DC filtered voltage you would have a very high current supply. We cant go any higher with the switching supply so l-16's batteries charge real fast then float at 22 amps to top off the charge. This is an industrial type Solar Charger, it can do pulse but we have not put that circuit into it yet. The Trackers work under load, meaning the power increases to the rate of the solar panels, so that is the only limitation.
                      John B

Originally posted by Branch Gordon View Post
                      I had to look up what a linear regulator was, as I wasn't familiar. So, does the tracker take the input, regulate the voltage so it is a steady constant voltage, and then amplify that? So instead of high voltage spikes you have one continuous high voltage? And is this regulator adjusting to the load (batteries)?

I am reading there is a lot of waste heat usually with linear regulators coming from the transistor. Is that what the huge fan is for?
                      John Bedini

Comment

Yes Liner Regulators require a voltage higher then what you want to work with. You have narrow window. Series pass is what you want. You can do this many ways. Switching regulators are mostly used with inductors. You can find a few on the Internet. But they do not give the charging you need. Most of them cut off at 13.8 volts, they considered this as the battery being charged, but it is not charged at that level. Also take an example from a Harbor Fright controller this is a very standard circuit used in most of them just copy circuits.

The Liner Regulators must be designed for the lowest drop out and the lowest loss in the devices. I changed all the chargers to what works the best for the simple fact that all the Fets were coming from China and they do not meet spec and fail right away. The devices in the tracker must go through high current burn in if they fail we get a new batch to burn. The one thing that is important is failure with chargers, you just cant have that. The charger must be designed to survive any condition. I over built the trackers as I did not want to see them back, I want peoples batteries to be charged and last them.

Off Grid cost allot of money and you can not have a failure as you depend on the power. The Amplifier shown in the picture is built from K series Liner Regulators as they are amplifiers inside except they work with current instead of voltage and you can balance this if you know the circuit into a class A Amplifier good to 1 MHz band width, and that Amplifier is 5 times louder then a class AB amplifier even if it is less then 50 percent efficient.
                        The heat sinks are not meaningless as the devices must be cooled to room temp. One of my first jobs at TRW and Acoustic Control was Series pass liner regulators, then we did not have what we have today. But for TRW it was Government Military Supplies they could not fail under any condition in the field, so the Tracker is designed the same way, and you can even get more power under pulse if I add the circuits to control them.
                        John B
                        Last edited by John_Bedini; 01-20-2014, 03:42 PM.
                        John Bedini

Comment

I thought I would add one more thing here. The Solar Panels must have a high open circuit voltage as that type of panel would work the best. I have tested many Solar Panels and they do not put out what they say they do. Solar Panels are laboratory rated, kind of sucks. I waste 1Kw here every day even in cloudy weather. My batteries are at full charge and can run my lights all night long, I can run 10 days without any Sun. I use a small sine inverter to run all computers and test equipment and some lighting. My office is off grid. I have built detector circuits for light control, when the light outside is gone the lights come on and stay on until I turn them off. This type of solar charger I have been testing for two years just to see which one gives the best performance, the Tracker has beat the MPPT chargers hands down for power into the batteries. As I said all the chargers are just copies of other chargers and all do the same thing, keep your batteries dead. This is why you must have a back up generator because your batteries never get charged with an average charge from MPPT chargers. So Here they are all built the same have at it, series pass.
                          John

Name:	Solar C.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	46027
                          Not often you will ever get this diagram but you can see you cant get much current from that fet, you can buy this chip from TI ( Texas Instruments)
                          Last edited by John_Bedini; 01-20-2014, 07:55 PM. Reason: adding info
                          John Bedini

Comment

Here is a short Video on the solar tracker 5.
                            http://youtu.be/y93IwhOGWB4
                            John Bedini

Comment

So, I bought a solar tracker 5 I guess it was last month. It was in the solar tracker 3 case...but was told it actually was the upgraded version inside. So I should be able to apply a load to my batteries like you did in the vid, and the tracker will pause charging?

Just wanting to confirm so I don't tear it up. The documentation i received with it didn't mention anything about this...

Originally posted by John_Bedini View Post
                              Here is a short Video on the solar tracker 5.
                              http://youtu.be/y93IwhOGWB4

Comment

Working...
                              X