Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have tables or charts they can post RE: charge times, pulse widths, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have tables or charts they can post RE: charge times, pulse widths, etc.

I wish someone would post a chart or table telling which voltage, pulse width, cycle time, total charge time, etc. to use to charge the various types of batteries, which would include: AA, AAA, gel cell, Lead Acid, Ni Mih, NiCad, alkaline, Li Ion, etc. Does anyone know of any such chart or table?

I nominate you for this task!! but seriously the only one who has done this is completely is JB and it was the research for his 1AU charger so its in the software of the charger. I doubt he would share that as it cost him a LOT of money to figure out

I would encourage you to forge ahead. I only work with flooded lead acid batteries on my monopoles. everything else gets a JB charger.

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

That would be good to see.
      I dont own a scope so I couldnt tell you the pulse width or size etc but I've done quite a bit of work on Li-on and nimh type battery cells either as individuals or as complete batteries but I've not kept a chart unfortunately.

I've substituted the batteries in my meters with lithium cells out of discarded old laptop batteries. Soldered and taped to prevent shorting and to make a decent job and cycle them with the motors once a week to keep them conditoned. Its cheaper than buying batteries. Each can be charged to 4volts and can last around 2 weeks before needing another charge.
      They're much more efficient than normal alkaline and hold a much larger capacity. A healthy respect is needed for them too.

I used a small single coil 4 magnet razor motor to cycle an old mobile phone battery battery for nearly 2 months with a Radiant charge. The Nimh battery wouldnt have lasted for longer than a couple of days and after the cycling I noticed it went back to lasting about a week again. One thing I did notice though is what John Bedini talks about after it gets used to being charged with the Radiant spike how it seems to take longer to accept a regular charge.

I've done the same with a few other li-on type with my 26" 18 magnet 3 coil motor with a 12volt 12amphr input.
      The one I'm cycling at the moment I charge to 14.4volts then discharge down with a 12v 5watt car bulb. Its only a 3.2amphr old lithium which wouldnt hold more than 2 volts to begin with as it had been left dead for years. So there's major improvement there even if its only being used to light a bulb.

Oliver

Comment

Few more questions

When you say:
        "I dont own a scope so I couldnt tell you the pulse width or size etc but I've done quite a bit of work on Li-on and nimh type battery cells either as individuals or as complete batteries but I've not kept a chart unfortunately."

How do you know when the charge is done? Doesn't it hurt the small batts (AA, etc.), to leave it on all night, long after it has reached Lindemanns peak and plateaued (Battery secrets).

What is the minimum time you spend on an AA Li-on. AA-Ni-cad, AA-Ni-mh and still get the job done of reaching Lindemanns plateau.

Also, just curious. Do you do a cap dump, or does your energizer coil spike to the charging battery directly.

Ever do them in parallel or just one at a time.

Comment

Working...
        X